Pine Grove Church

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

If you are interested in the photo Beck has of the Pine Grove Church on Tuckerton Road, you may want to go there soon and take a photo of the repairs they are doing to it. I was out early this morning scouting out a possible stone searching trip for Manumuskin and myself and on the way home soon after sunrise I drove by there and noticed it. I took these with my cell phone as I forgot my camera.

Forgotten Towns ....Tuckerton Road chapter.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/11242013/P241113_07.48.jpg

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/11242013/P241113_07.48_[01].jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes Al, I have been planning something, and that would be stone(s). You have the info, but I have a little info I am working on that should make it historical. Do you want me to email you or not tell you until we make plans?

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Pine Grove has been bulldozed as of September. Evesham Twp, the owner of the land adjacent the municipal complex, was constructing a running track on the property. I suspect the work is complete by now. More history "paved over".

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Pine Grove has been bulldozed as of September. Evesham Twp, the owner of the land adjacent the municipal complex, was constructing a running track on the property. I suspect the work is complete by now. More history "paved over".

Just so everyone is clear the Pine Grove Church is still there.

relayer

Explorer
Guy, It's pretty screwed up though. We think the guys from a nearby construction project have taken pity on it and done stuff like restaple the tyvek. Unfortunately it is open to the weather and has been all winter. It kind of looks like the owners might have run out of money. I guess this spring will tell the tail.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have gone by a few times and saw construction crews working but nothing ever seems to get done.

I used to live three houses down from this church. Beautiful little church, I always liked it when they would have services Sunday night while I was coming home from somewhere. The doors would be open and the light would spill out onto the road. Can't believe I lived in that house for four years and never walked the three houses down to go to service there.

img_0602.jpg

Church on a snow day back in 2009.

Never worked out that it was the same one that was in Forgotten Towns!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Mike,

It may have been better you didn't. My mom had a knock on her door one summer and standing there was the minister of that church and a parishioner. They asked my mom if she wanted to join the church and she said no. The minister leaned in close the screen and asked my mom if she went to church and she again said no. He leaned in even closer and called her a sinner. My mom was really annoyed at that and even the parishioner seemed surprised what occurred. My mom slammed the door in his face. Luckily for him my brother who was there didn't hear it or ................

Guy

topanga

Aug 31, 2013
My family donated the land for the Pine Grove Chapel 100+ years ago, and I was married there in 1985. Divorced now, but we came down from NY (I was working in Manhattan back then) to get married there. The minister was into numerology and said my ex use to throw stones at the windows. My ex was from Marlton and grew-up down the road from the church. I left the area at age 18 and never went back to live, but I feel a closeness to the Pine Barrens. My granny would tell me stories of riding a stagecoach through the small towns back at the turn-of-the-century; Ong's Hat and other places.

Reactions: Boyd