Pine snakes

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Here's an old thread from 2017, before it was released.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good catch Boyd. The snake is in that trailer at 1:54. Not as clear as the film, but....actually if you make it full screen, it shows good.

Reactions: Boyd

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Bob I'll call that snake at 1:54 as a timber rattler, although it looks more yellow phase than what we normally see in the pines.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob I'll call that snake at 1:54 as a timber rattler, although it looks more yellow phase than what we normally see in the pines.
Really? That's interesting. I thought it looked odd to be a pine snake. If you get a chance to watch the movie free, do so. The shot is longer and brighter.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
This one Al.

This must be the trailer.no snake in it,it's not fourteen minutes long.Oh well,can't identify a snake I can;t see but needless to say pine snakes can indeed swim though they do it to travel not because their food is there or they love the water.I swim Because I love the water.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You said you watched it on Prime, I think. I have Prime and it shows as a $5 rental or $18 purchase for me.
It actually said $0.00 for me. Maybe a certain amount were free. I'll let you know if they charged me.

PS: it may be that I had entertainment credits from allowing them to ship things later than I'm entitled to.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This must be the trailer.no snake in it,it's not fourteen minutes long.Oh well,can't identify a snake I can;t see but needless to say pine snakes can indeed swim though they do it to travel not because their food is there or they love the water.I swim Because I love the water.
Al, go to post #21 in this thread from Boyd. He found the trailer and it's in there at 1:54.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I am going to say that the snake in the video is a Northern Pine. If you look closely at the 1:54 mark, you can see the taper in the tail with no rattle.

Pine snakes are incredible hunters. I have seen them swimming in a cranberry bog chasing after mice along the bank. I have also seen them forty feet up a pine tree eating hatchlings in a robin's nest.

Speaking of no rattles, the only time I was spooked by a snake was when I was near the Costello school. I saw a timber with no rattle swimming in the Roberts branch just off the bridge. So much for a warning! I think Dragon was with me or we met up just afterwards. Just the thought of that snake not having a rattle scared me somewhat.

Last edited:
Reactions: stiltzkin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am going to say that the snake in the video is a Northern Pine. If you look closely at the 1:54 mark, you can see the taper in the tail with no rattle.
I don't know Gibby....I just don't know. I don't see a tail so I'm going with Mark (NJchilehead) for now that it's a timber. I didn't like the look of it as a Pine Snake from the start.

Reactions: Gibby

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I don't know Gibby....I just don't know. I don't see a tail so I'm going with Mark (NJchilehead) for now that it's a timber. I didn't like the look of it as a Pine Snake from the start.
Fair enough. I just think it is unusual behavior for a Timber and I don’t see the dark colored fade in the tail.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
What do you mean not swimming? Do you mean because the lily pad vegetation is supportive?
I didn't even realize that was Lily pads I thought it was hard ground but yes he is not swimming or most of his body would be under water.Cottonmouths which don't live in NJ routinely swim on top of the water but can dive when they want to but just about every other snake swims with it's body just under the surface occasionally breaking water with their heads periscoping to look around.Thats how down south you can tell if it's a water snake or moccasin,if it's floating on top leave it alone.