Pinelands Commission certifies Stafford Master Plan

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Sounds good to me. I am in Stafford, and am glad they are taking some steps to limit development, which seems ironic after they allowed the new development on the old dump.
I might want to subdivide my land eventually and this still falls well within these guidelines.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I've delivered quite a few loads in that area, and it has slowed considerably probably a combo of that and the economy which is fine by me , I know construction is my lively hood but to much of the pines are being chewed up by that .Thank GOD for the Conservation Foundation and the Conservancy.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I've delivered quite a few loads in that area, and it has slowed considerably probably a combo of that and the economy which is fine by me , I know construction is my lively hood but to much of the pines are being chewed up by that .Thank GOD for the Conservation Foundation and the Conservancy.

Barnegat is getting destroyed, slow but sure. Only thing left is the pan handle...

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Barnegat is getting destroyed, slow but sure. Only thing left is the pan handle...

I agree. It is a shame what has happened along Rt. 554 west of the GSP. If that land had been preserved, it would have made a huge block of protected habitat when combined with the county land and boy scout property to the north and northwest.

One of the things that upset me about the landfill deal in Stafford was that after the bill of goods was sold to the public and to the Pinelands Commission about the great benefit the town would receive by having the developer relocate and properly cap the landfill, the developer was then given a substantial tax break. Considering that ratables are supposedly the big draw of commercial development in the first place, it sure made an already less than sweet deal all the more sour.

misclaims

Explorer
Oct 10, 2008
little egg harbor
That is the myth of the ratables. My parents live in Stafford, have 1/8th of the property that I have and pay almost as much taxes. With all the ratables in Stafford, people should be getting checks from the township like the Alaska residents do for the pipeline! Most large developers, be it commercial or residential sell a bill of goods to the townships then have their suits march in after the deal is done & get their tax base knocked down to about 25-30% of the original deal.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
In order to prevent the loss of remaining areas of the pines for our free enjoyment.

Those of us who love this land must buy all the remaining parcels of unbuildable lots. Then organize as a Pine preservation property owners group. Each holding on to their own piece.

Lot's still exist.

If the state or large environmental groups buy it. They will keep us out and may eventually sell it to the State or Federal Gov.

We will then be restricted from accessing it to enjoy freely as we now love to do.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That is the myth of the ratables. My parents live in Stafford, have 1/8th of the property that I have and pay almost as much taxes. With all the ratables in Stafford, people should be getting checks from the township like the Alaska residents do for the pipeline! Most large developers, be it commercial or residential sell a bill of goods to the townships then have their suits march in after the deal is done & get their tax base knocked down to about 25-30% of the original deal.

Whats the breakdown on the tax bill? I'd bet the larger portion is for schools. Every tax bill in NJ I have seen has education at about 2/3's the total bill. More develoments, more kids, higher educations costs. I've never looked into it, anyone know if commercial interests pay for education in their property taxes?

misclaims

Explorer
Oct 10, 2008
little egg harbor
Not sure of the exact breakdown of who pays what. All I can tell is wherever there is major development with major shopping centers, the taxes go sky high. From some of the studies I've read while investigating overdevelopment issues, I see a clear pattern of higher taxes in areas with overgrowth in both commercial and residential areas. Its amazing how the developers and large corporations have the bulk of their taxes abated. As far as gathering up $ to preserve the pinelands, there are several groups doing just that. There are several land trusts groups out there. Contact the Forked River Mountain Coalition, Pinelands Preservation Alliance and the Sierra Club to find out more what you can do. Save Barnegat Bay is another group thats working to preserve the little bit of natural lands still left in South Jersey.

misclaims

Explorer
Oct 10, 2008
little egg harbor
I would love to see a group of people get together and purchase large lots in the pines. Again, in as much as I like to see the natural areas stay natural, I know alot of ORV folks really enjoy the pines too. I have a Wrangler that I like to take out time to time myself. If done responsibly, it can be done. 1000 acre's with a few trails on it is still better than a 1000 acres with 3000 houses on it anyday!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Not sure of the exact breakdown of who pays what.

Well until you know where the tax dollars you pay are going, its hard to complain. Take a look at their tax bill, its all broken out. If the money is not for township taxes then the beef is not with them. All I'm saying is that until you know that, your complaints may be misdirected.

misclaims

Explorer
Oct 10, 2008
little egg harbor
understood... I still believe its cheaper for a town to preserve a property than allow it to be developed. No drain on the infrastructure.. but your point is so noted. Ck out the Sandpaper this week... good article in there!

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
understood... I still believe its cheaper for a town to preserve a property than allow it to be developed. No drain on the infrastructure.. but your point is so noted. Ck out the Sandpaper this week... good article in there!

Misclaims,

Have you seen this paper, Open Space is a Good Investment – The Financial Argument for Open Space Preservation? ANJEC, the Association of New Jersey Environmental Commissions, has it in PDF-file format for downloading at their website. The document can be found under Publications – Resource Papers. Why aren’t more environmental commissions advising their officials that open space is not wasted space?

Spung-Man

misclaims

Explorer
Oct 10, 2008
little egg harbor
Hey Sprung! Thanks for the info... those are exactly the kinds of studies I've been putting in front of the planning board... ! Thanks for the link...I'll forward this to them too! One supercenter got turned down in Florida and they are turning the site into an eco-friendly park!

misclaims

Explorer
Oct 10, 2008
little egg harbor
Someone needs to get things like that in front of both Stafford and Barnegat..

Mayor Block meet Open Space.... Open Space meet Mayor Block... he's never met a piece land that he didn't want to develop!

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
My thoughts were not to have a any involvement with a organization owning the land.

All is privately owned. A Preservation Landowners group would be formed to assist each owner to keep their land.

I have no trust in large groups after my personal involvement with two NJ groups.

These small lots, or multiple small lots could be kept by the owner for their own use to enjoy the pines.

Now these are in the hands of realtors.

misclaims

Explorer
Oct 10, 2008
little egg harbor
With the market being down, this would be a good time to pursue that! I know some of the preservation groups are looking to purchase land right now because of that. So if anyone wants to join Freerider, this would be a good time to do it! I wonder if there are any sort of federally matching funds if the owner agrees to preserve part of the land? Im just scratching the surface in researching land preservation issues. Would be interesting to find out though......

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I already own some land and can't think of any reason why I need support or involvement with a "preservation landowners group". If you want to buy land, just go out and do it. Guess I just don't "get" what you're trying to accomplish or how it would work. If the land is all owned by private individuals I don't see how this protects anything. What happens when somebody dies or gets divorced? What happens when a developer comes along and offers everybody a lot of money for their land?

NJ already has a Forest Stewardship program. I looked into it and it's interesting, but ultimately I don't really want to get involved with the state. When I lived in Medford, my neighbor was involved in the program and she told me that it was the only way she was able to afford the taxes on her acreage. See: http://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/forest/stw_inc_prog.html