Pines Fire Video (Warning: rough language)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That was discussed a while back. I believe it was during the Warren Grove Fire.

Guy

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Maybe the guy taking the video should have put it down and picked up a hose or something. This kinda reminds me of these people you see filming someone getting mawled by an animal or something. Put the damn camera down and help.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Maybe the guy taking the video should have put it down and picked up a hose or something. This kinda reminds me of these people you see filming someone getting mawled by an animal or something. Put the damn camera down and help.

Someone on Youtube made essentially the same comment, and so I'll reply with the same thing I said there: these guys know what they're doing. Their job is to contain the fire and starve it, not rush into a crowning inferno like you saw on that video with hoses and spray water at it. Look at that fire again. Do you imagine there is any amount of water that could be trucked out to that spot or sucked out of a creek that is going to substantially reduce the heat of that fire? With all that fuel? I don't understand this point of view. Probably the last thing they would want, with that fire behaving the way it was, is to have any of those guys out of the trucks and on the ground at that particular spot.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Someone on Youtube made essentially the same comment, and so I'll reply with the same thing I said there: these guys know what they're doing. Their job is to contain the fire and starve it, not rush into a crowning inferno like you saw on that video with hoses and spray water at it. Look at that fire again. Do you imagine there is any amount of water that could be trucked out to that spot or sucked out of a creek that is going to substantially reduce the heat of that fire? With all that fuel? I don't understand this point of view. Probably the last thing they would want, with that fire behaving the way it was, is to have any of those guys out of the trucks and on the ground at that particular spot.

True. I'm guessing they were starting backfires and digging firebreaks and stayed at the party too long in order to watch the fire. If they were there to create a backfire, then create the backfire and get the hell out. That fire was generating its own wind.

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
You guessed exactly right. That particular crew was setting back-fires...until the wind shifted because of a front coming in. There is no "hose" that would be effective on a running crown fire like that. Those guys did exactly what they were trained to do. Get the heck out of the way to a safety zone. (This was day 2 btw)