Piney Boy takes a holiday

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I know, I know its not the Pines, but it is what I have been up to so.....
We are all creatures of habit and I am no exception. August comes and I fine myself yearning for a vacation of some kind, daydreaming away vacations from the past and plans of the future. By the time the car was packed this year I was already miles away, cruise control did all of the work.
So I found myself southbound from Jersey before dawn on my way to visit some family outside of D.C. By the time we arrived everyone was finishing up breakfast and ready for a day out at Great Falls National Park in Maryland. Being a weekend it was a busy day with picnickers and young lovers all about. I ate my lunch and enjoyed everyone’s company, but I was itching for the Billy Goat Trail. The Goat has been a favorite of mine since I found it about 6 years ago; it has rock scrambles galore highlighted with the powerful great falls. Out of our little party I talked my wife’s cousin, a friend’s husband, and my wife into doing the trail. With weather in the low 80’s and sculpted white cloud skies overhead we lucked out. I was surprised the beautiful weather only enticed a handful of others to join us on the trail. The goat is a moderate four mile hike not because of a needed endurance but because of the rock scrambles over exposed rushing water. The brother in law had a couple of issues but made it through with some fine encouragement, if you count calling out to him “Ohhhh Mary don’t get your skirts wet on the way down” encouragement. It was all in good fun though and he came through with flying colors. We spent a leisurely afternoon on this little gem with climbers and kayakers adding to the backdrop. Nothing beats a rock scramble with a powerful river framing the picture. We capped off the evening at an excellent restaurant named Clark’s. Excellent ambience and a killer crab bisque and a Ravenswood Merlot.
The following day we broke up into two respective groups, the women went off to an outlet mall and the men off to Antietam Battlefield. By the look of the crowds at the outlet mall I think they had more hand to hand combat then we did. Seriously though, both groups were doing what they wanted so it worked out just fine.
The battle of Antietam was General Robert E. Lee’s first attempt at a northern invasion, and on September 17, 1862 his Army of Northern Virginia met McClellan’s Army of the Potomac between Antietam Creek and Sharpsburg Maryland. While Lee faced 2 to 1 odds he had daring were “Little Mac” had nothing but trepidation. The combination of these two character traits would lead to death on a scale yet unknown in modern warfare. The battlefield itself is a beautiful mix of rolling pastoral farmland and oak woodlots that make for excellent walking, biking, or car touring. The only battle on my visit came between butterflies strafing each other on a gentle breeze. It’s so very sad to think of the 23,000 men that were wounded or lost their lives all over those fields, and one can not go very far without thinking of them, whether by memorials or open plain. Places like these should be visited by more folks; perhaps it will help young men see how ugly war is, not glamorous or exciting. As I climbed the watch tower and looked out over the Bloody Lane, were 5600 men were either killed or wounded, I felt the chill myself.
For the next few days we explored Washington D.C. The Washington Monument, W.W. II Memorial, The Jefferson Monument along with trips to The Natural History Museum and Fords Theatre all made for an educational and fun time in the Capital. The Natural History Museum currently has an exhibit of the Lewis and Clark expedition highlighted by exhibits filled with all types of objects from their journey West. I squinted hard at the plexi-glass case containing their journals, imagining their dreams and expectations. Even though many of the interactive aids were not working it was still an amazing exhibit.
Truthfully, the walking in D.C. under 90 degree temps kicked my sorry butt. After 2 days of this I was more then a little sun burnt and tired, but none of this dampened the great time I had. The highlight of my time here in the City came with an insider’s tour of the Capital. A cousin of my wife’s works for a Senator and he was gracious enough to give us an amazing tour under, over and around this splendid building. The marble bust and statues combined with artwork of epic proportions had me humbled. I know our country is far from perfect, but to see the likes of the Jeffersons, Adams’, Lincolns, and even Sacaweja left me high on the possibilities that still exist for our great country, blessed be America!
Next stop: Ricketts Glen State Park. I ventured out here with The Mad-Atlantic Yackpackers a short while back, but heavy storms had hampered our hiking. Ever since then it was burning in my head to return and catch the Falls Loop Trail, which is highlighted by 26 waterfalls over a 7 mile loop. So after setting up a car camping paradise the wife and I spent 2 evenings and three days lake side resting off drinks and wonderful hiking. One night we sat listening to the crackle of the fire surrounded by an endless sea of stars. Our campsite had lake access, so we walked down to the water and listened to the wind and water lap against the shoreline. It was a beautiful evening.
The next day I quickly walked off a hangover with fresh air and beautiful sites around me, and by the time I heard the first set of falls I was feeling right as rain. Walking down over huge rock steps with the 80 + Ganoga Falls beside me was as humbling as anything D.C. could throw at me and then some. Even though it wasn’t too hot I couldn’t resist and plunged into one of the pools at the base of a set of falls. As I swam under the water I could here the thundering sound of falling water, it was magical.
The park list the Falls Loop as very strenuous, and while I wouldn’t quite go that far it does take a good deal of agility with wet rocks and the heights around you. One section of the Bulldozer Trail below the Falls Loop was indeed difficult. The grade was sharp and a huge tree covered the path, it was not an easy up and over, but it sure was fun. My wife was just awesome, not only did she not say a word about the camping, but let me tack on The Old Bulldozer Trail and the EverGreen Trail, and extra 4 miles or so. While she isn’t much for backpacking she is a true athlete who looked as strong at the end of this day as at the beginning. She jogged the last 2 miles back! Viva Senorita Piney!!!!
Our last few days off consisted of a trip to Hershey Park amusement park, and a trip to Amish Country in Lancaster PA. I was more then a little hesitant about going on roller coasters. You see, I’ve always LOVED coasters, but last summer had a really bad time at a Six Flags. That day of swimming head and green face still haunted me. This day was as perfect as the rest of vacation however, the coasters were awesome once again and the chocolate was waaaaay good. I’m loving the heights, speed, and spins of coasters again, nothing is quite like that rush y’know. Only disappointing spot was their Zoo America. It wasn’t the animals mind you, the wolves, bison, bear, and big cats were all beautiful, but the exhibits were awfully small with not much creativity in design. If you intend on running a Zoo, do your best to give the animal’s space and an enriching life. Hershey Park needs some work there.
After a lovely stay at a bed and breakfast in Lancaster we visited some Amish stores. They are old world craftsman in so many ways, their woodworking, quilting, food, and culture in general all make me wistful to days when people lived closer to the land. I especially am taken with their Hex designs that remind me of Pagan roots, whether they want to see it that way or not. Truly they are an amazing people, and I admire their simple lifestyle and communal living. Hell, if it wasn’t for their strict adherence to Christianity I may join them myself.
So, that’s the long and short of it, highways and byways, monuments and memorials, waterfalls and battlefields, starry nights and chocolate bars. I couldn’t have asked for a better vacation or a better traveling companion. I can’t wait for our next adventure, wherever it may take us.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Vacation

We must be on the same vacation loop, just different years. Last year my wife and I went to Harpers Ferry and Antietam battlefield. I thought Antietam was one of the most thought provoking places I've ever been. We finished our trip with 4 days at Black Water Falls in WV, had a great time but being a South Jersey boy the up's and down's hiking were brutal. Well worth it though. We went to Ricketts Glen a couple of years ago, unfortunately my wife had a serious fall on the falls loop trail. It was a rescue 911 type situation. She was fortunate to have not been really badly injured. I'll go back some day (my wife won't), but for a while I had nightmares about it. My wife much prefers Pine Barrens hiking now, the trips and falls are easier! Glad you had a great trip.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
piker56 said:
We must be on the same vacation loop, just different years. Last year my wife and I went to Harpers Ferry and Antietam battlefield. I thought Antietam was one of the most thought provoking places I've ever been. We finished our trip with 4 days at Black Water Falls in WV, had a great time but being a South Jersey boy the up's and down's hiking were brutal. Well worth it though. We went to Ricketts Glen a couple of years ago, unfortunately my wife had a serious fall on the falls loop trail. It was a rescue 911 type situation. She was fortunate to have not been really badly injured. I'll go back some day (my wife won't), but for a while I had nightmares about it. My wife much prefers Pine Barrens hiking now, the trips and falls are easier! Glad you had a great trip.

Thats to funny, Harpers and Antietam are both such great places. I always say that if I ever move south it'll be to WV. YIKES!!!! about the Glen, with elevation in the md 2000' ft range those drop offs are no joke. I'm a South Jersey boy too, but I love the variety PA offers me. Once you get used to climbing uphill payoff views make the burn all the more rewarding. Funny how fast things go, work sometimes drags on but vacation never does. One day I'm out scaling tall waterfalls the next I'm back to the grind, ohh well it was sweet while it lasted.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wow...a very very nice review of your vacation! Kudos!!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Piney Boy said:
Hell, if it wasn’t for their strict adherence to Christianity I may join them myself.

Nice report. Did you mean to say strict "interpretation" of Christianity? I can't seem to wrap my mind around the thought that Christianity is something to be avoided because it has principles that are somehow "unpleasant".

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
bobpbx said:
Nice report. Did you mean to say strict "interpretation" of Christianity? I can't seem to wrap my mind around the thought that Christianity is something to be avoided because it has principles that are somehow "unpleasant".
I dont have any problem with many values Christianity espouses, its as you say, the strict interpretations that leave little room for creativity and free thinking that I have issues with.

supercilious

Scout
Jun 27, 2004
Strict interpretation can mean anything, the media just says what strict interpretation means by way of societal opinion. A history experience of Christianity, and understanding of the times would clear up things in a philosophical way.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
TeeGate said:
In any event I enjoyed the post.

Guy

Thanks again Guy, I wasn't trying to start a philisophical debate on the benefits of religious lifestyles, it was just a little vacation story, but hey, have at it fella's!!:jd: