Plan to put gas pipeline in Pinelands spurs ire

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
There is a new political maneuver afoot. From the place that brought you Richland Village, comes a new League of Municipalities initiative to have municipalities vote in support of the gas pipeline after it was defeated at the Pinelands Commission.

Screen shot 2014-02-09 at 7.56.43 AM.png

It is interesting to note that the Pinelands environmental and land-use board’s vote against the lifting of the pipeline ban, saying the move would open up the door to other utility-line exceptions.​

Fallout to continue from pipeline rejection

On behalf of South Jersey Gas, the BPU had sought a special agreement to lift a three-decade ban on new gas- and oil-transmission pipelines in the Pinelands forest areas. But half the of the 14 members of the Pinelands environmental and land-use board who met in Pemberton Township Friday decided against that move, worried it would open them to similar demands from other utility companies.

The environmental and land-use board has a good point. BTW, there is an effort to initiate a “Pinelands Highway” designation that would allow utilities (e.g., sewer lines) into the villages.​
S-M​

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
What does a vote of support mean? I think it just means that Buena is making it official that they are "okay" with the plan.

So far as I know the Pinelands CMP trumps whatever a local municipality says.

In any event, if our governor was smart he'd let the pipeline plan die and focus on his other problems. I feel that if he keeps pushing for this there's going to be more corruption from his office coming to light.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
What does a vote of support mean? I think it just means that Buena is making it official that they are "okay" with the plan.

If the utility company is planning to seek a Waiver of Strict Compliance, they will have to demonstrate a direct benefit and compelling public need to Pinelands residents.

Look at:
7:50-4.52 (c)2. Public Development General Requirements;
7:50-4.57 Standards for Public Development;
7:50-4.61 Purpose Waiver of Strict Compliance;
7:50-4.64 Standards for establishing compelling public need;
7:50-4.65 Substantial impairment and consistency.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
St. Anns church is in Browns Mills. If anyone was planning on going to the meeting your best bet would be to park at the Acme and walk to the church.