Plane wreckage at Bear Swamp Hill

shamongjeeper

Jan 22, 2004
Shamong, NJ
I was just up at Bear Swamp Hill this morning with a friend of mine in search of whats left of the plane wreckage as indicated by the photos that I have seen on the website. We got up there into the parking area, proceeded to look for them off of the parking area, then also climbed the hill to where the fire tower once stood and scoured the area around there. My question is where exactly did the plane come to rest in relation to the 4 tower pillars on top of Bear Swamp Hill?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Do you like challenges? If so we all could give a little clue to help you find it. Or are you not into that?

Ben...the one photo I think shows that the tower just was sheared off and fell over. It did not travel with the plane.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On Terraserver.com you will find
a path through the woods
in a straight line

But if you look closely you will find
Bear Swamp Hill you need not climb

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is Terraserver.com not Terrabrowser. I use a program called Terrabrowser and got that confused. Sorry.

By using Ben's info and this, you have a good start.

Guy

DR_Rider_N2brk

Dec 21, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
I was just there this weekend for the first time. I didn't know there was anything interesting to find, other then the destroyed remains of the tower, some foundation of a hunting shack with two crapper-holes, and a ton of beer cans in the immediate woods :(

I'll have to go back and poke around some :) Two buddies and I rode up there and had a nice break during our little 50mi day of finding peaks and such.

Wal

DR_Rider_N2brk

Dec 21, 2004
Cherry Hill, NJ
Just a follow up...

I led a small group yesterday around the Pines, and we used your help to find the landing gear at BSH. It's amazing that it's been sitting there all this time without some idiots taking it or defacing it.

The last comment is a little hash and bitter, but after I saw Apple Pie Hill again yesterday, I am just pretty fed up with people in general.

Anyway! Thanks once more for the lat/lon on the gear! It was a great focal point to our trip!!!!! We also visited: Carranza; Hampton Furnace; Jemimma; APH.

Wal

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I took a trip up to bear swamp hill today with the ground still mostly snow covered looking for the landing gear from the crash. I've noticed that there is a fire pit there in the middle of the parking lot that has to be recent because the snow around it is melted. I was there looking for the landing gear even though it wasn't the best time to look for it because of the snow. I've looked all around and couldn't find anything except for a 60's style pepsi bottle. Can anybody steer me into the right direction? I don't have GPS. Thanks

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
wolfspider05 said:
Thanks anyways guys

Because some of us have noticed that after we have given out info on where things are located, others have come and damaged or removed articles there. So we are reluctant to give that info out. With that said, I don't think the landing gear could easily be removed or damaged.

But some of the fun of exploring the pines is finding things on your own, so I will help you out but you must do the searching. Do as I do and keep going back again and again and again until you find it.

It is located close by the white area at the below link. More accurately, 500 feet ESE of that spot in a swamp. By converting feet to yards you can use the scale shown on the map to figure the best location to look. I just did it and I came very very close to the exact spot.

Remember, part of the fun is finding it on your own using your own skills. What I have given you will get you what you want, especially since you do not have a GPS.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=18&X=2730&Y=22000&W=1&qs=|chatsworth|nj|

If anyone thinks my info is wrong, feel free to correct me.

Guy

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
That is very understandable, all it takes is someone that dosen't respect anything to ruin it for everybody else. Thank you for your information, I wasn't sure exactly what direction the landing gear was located and now I have a much better idea. I know what your saying about finding things on your own, that is the fun in it. I just been looking for the landing gear for a good while now and been just getting discouraged. Anyways, I am going to go up there sometime within the next few weeks if work allows it and I will take some pics. Thanks agian Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
wolfspider05 said:
That is very understandable, all it takes is someone that dosen't respect anything to ruin it for everybody else. Thank you for your information, I wasn't sure exactly what direction the landing gear was located and now I have a much better idea. I know what your saying about finding things on your own, that is the fun in it. I just been looking for the landing gear for a good while now and been just getting discouraged. Anyways, I am going to go up there sometime within the next few weeks if work allows it and I will take some pics. Thanks agian Guy

Tell us how things go.

Also, time to invest in a GPS.

Guy

Roostriz

Scout
Feb 16, 2005
Egg Harbor
Hi all. Stumbled across this board surfin around. Its nice to find people to talk about exploring the pines with.

In any case, my best friends father retired as the superintendant of Wharton a year ago. I remember a story about this crash. Back when he was a ranger, he used to take his lunches up on Bear Swamp Hill. In a weird twist of fate, he had a dentist appointment on the day the F4? crashed and didn't take his daily lunch that day. Jon (his son) and I used to go up there to look around for remnants.

Not that this matters but I just figured it was an interesting blurb.

BTW, Jons father told me he retired because he got tired of dealing with the Pinelands Commission, but also that the newer rangers were "difficult" to work with.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Roostriz said:
I remember a story about this crash. Back when he was a ranger, he used to take his lunches up on Bear Swamp Hill. In a weird twist of fate, he had a dentist appointment on the day the F4 crashed and didn't take his daily lunch that day.

Jeez, that's a close one. Suppose it was manned to look out for fires. Hold the phone, I gotta climb down and take a piss. Be back in a second..............................Wham!

Roostriz

Scout
Feb 16, 2005
Egg Harbor
That would be crazy. Normally I would have to have called bullsh*t on stories like this but Tom is probably one of the most solid people I have ever known. He has told me many interesting stories about things he has encountered during his tenure. Reading through some of the posts here the carranza memorial reminded me of one he told me where (as a ranger) he had to respond to a Devil worship ceremony there. People were sacrificing chickens on the memorial. Crazy huh! In anycase I don't want to hijack this thread. Look forward to chatting witrh all of you.