Plane wreckage at Bear Swamp Hill

Oct 25, 2006
Bear swamp hill wreckage

The 60CSX gets a fix in my living room through a window with the blinds closed.
I have used it geocaching the last 2 weekends in dense woods and it is dead nuts on.
I paid $369 for the 60CSX and the unit you are looking at is $199.00
The thing that I don't like about the Etrex is that the keys are on the side.
I didn't want to spend as much as I did but I am glad I did.
Your talking about another $170 that's only 8.5 cases of Yuengling.
I would save my pennies for a few more months.

Point well taken,you convinced me,saving up.

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
Bear Swamp Hill

New to the forum, name is Pete. Was out there today for the first time. Very interesting trip.
If any one is interested, I happened to obtain some photos just after the crash. They are posted on our B10 forest fire web site. (I'm the webmaster).
Here is the link. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.
http://www.sectionb10.org/forest_fire_archives.html

Very nice site you guys have here. I've been up half the night reading different threads.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
New to the forum, name is Pete. Was out there today for the first time. Very interesting trip.
If any one is interested, I happened to obtain some photos just after the crash. They are posted on our B10 forest fire web site. (I'm the webmaster).

Very nice site you guys have here. I've been up half the night reading different threads.

Great Photo's! Thanks for letting us know about them.

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net

Welcome aboard, Pete. Great info on that site, and excellent photos. I'm trying to figure out what I'm seeing in the picture of the tower after it was struck. Is that the top part laying off to the right?

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
you know....you may be right. I never noticed that. In fact, if you look towards the bottom of the photo, it looks like the stairs are sideways instead of up and down. The stairs are right behind the guys butt. At least I think those are the stairs. If thats the case then I guess that is the top or one of the higher levels.
I just looked again, it looks like another set of sideways stairs on the left side of the photo.

Pete

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Me and my son were out there today - the landing gear is clearly sunken lower than other pics I've seen
image.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That may be deceiving because nature is always changing things. Here it is in about 1975 or 1976 and it looks well hidden.

gear.jpg

I would have to get the slide out to find the exact date. I don't have that on the file.

Guy

Straitouttajersey

Jan 26, 2014
This is some good stuff......really dumb question as I have no training in air crash investigation...isn't every piece of wreckage part of the investigation...and even heavy and deep in the woods why would investigators leave anything behind?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is some good stuff......really dumb question as I have no training in air crash investigation...isn't every piece of wreckage part of the investigation...and even heavy and deep in the woods why would investigators leave anything behind?

Good question. However, I have spoken with people who said there were many small pieces of wreckage all over the woods in the very early years. Some were inbedded in the trees. And even today there is more wreckage out there other than the gear.

Guy

Reactions: Straitouttajersey

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
12-22-2005

Here is the story behind that find. A geocacher who I will not name was heading through the woods after visiting the landing gear and stumbled onto that speed brake. The speed brake is the very end of the jet (engine) where you see the flames coming out. If a pilot wants to accelerate he closes this portion just like you would using a garden hose to get the water to shoot out further. And while traveling at high speeds the pilot can open the speed brake which slows the plane down but still allowing him to stay at full throttle.

Anyway, this geocacher went home and placed the cache online where it was spotted within an hour by Stu from PBX. Stu was a friend of the late Bob Bruneau who was also a member of PBX. Stu then contacted the geocacher and persuaded him to take the cache down. He informed Bob Bruneau of this and Bob contacted me. I then spoke with the geocacher and even went on a couple later trips with him. A very nice individual who understood that keeping it's location from the masses really was the correct thing to do.

BTW, for those of you who knew Bob Bruneau his website is still up many years after his untimely death. And for those who did not know him check out his New Jersey section with photo's of the pine barrens, and also check out his aerial photo's of the pines.

http://bobanddusty.com

Guy