Plastic Bridge Ceremonies Today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob notified me that the DEP was going to honor the late Richard Renfree at the Plastic Bridge. He was the developer and constructor of the bridge. I thought it was next Thursday and set it up with work to take a half day and be there, but I just realized it was today.

Did anyone go or know how it went?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
I didn't know anything about it. How did you know?

Bob sent this to me.

Guy

IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Contact: Elaine Makatura (609)
292-2994
October 6, 2004 Dana Loschiavo
(609) 984-1423

MEDIA ADVISORY
***Thursday, October 7***

DEP and Rutgers Highlight Recycled Plastic Bridge at Wharton State
Forest
to Honor Inventor

SHAMONG TOWNSHIP – On Thursday, October 7 at 1 p.m., Department of
Environmental Protection (DEP) and Rutgers, The State University will
highlight the innovative vehicular bridge over the Mullica River made
entirely of recycled plastic.

Rutgers will honor the late Richard W. Renfree, who was responsible for
the development and construction of the bridge. Renfree was an assistant
research professor in the department of ceramics and materials
engineering at the university.

PRESS EVENT

Wharton State Forest
1:00 p.m.- 2:00 p.m.
Shamong, New Jersey

For anyone who does not know about the bridge, here are some photo's.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/forums...ery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We visited the Plastic Bridge this morning because Jessica felt they may have added a plaque to the bridge at the dedication on Thursday. We did not see anything from the car, so we just drove across and headed back out. Well, today in the Asbury Park press it says there was one added to the bridge. If it is there I missed it. Another visit this weekend is in order.

Guy

First recycled plastic bridge in N.J. opens to traffic

http://www.app.com/app/story/0,21625,1074251,00.html

Published in the Asbury Park Press 10/09/04

By KIRK MOORE
STAFF WRITER

SHAMONG -- In its original form, this would have made one big mess in the woods: around 250,000 plastic milk and juice jugs, plus more than three times as many foam plastic coffee cups.

But recycled, blended and molded into massive black girders and planks, those throw-away containers were made into New Jersey's first all-plastic vehicle bridge, strong enough to support a 36-ton fire truck crossing the upper Mullica River.

Rutgers researchers gathered near Atsion in Wharton State Forest Thursday to dedicate the bridge for Richard Renfree, a Rutgers scientist who worked on the project before his death earlier this year. Now there's an initiative in Shore communities to find other applications for the heavy-duty plastic as beach walkway material, bulkheading and docks.

The new-generation structural polymer plastic, developed by the Rutgers Center for Advanced Materials via Immiscible Polymer Processing, or AMIPP, is produced by Edison-based Polywood. The synthetic lumber is also being used as boardwalk material in Long Branch, said Jennifer Lynch, a research assistant at the Rutgers center.

Plastic recycling technology from Rutgers has been used in earlier projects, such as a small bridge built by Army engineers in 1998 at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. However, that project retained older steel supports for the underlying span.

The Atsion bridge is among a new generation of designs that use plastic in their major structural members as well as the roadway decking. Started in 2001, the project's decking was completed last year and Thursday's ceremonies included attachment of a commemorative plaque, noting the span's place in engineering history.

Shore communities could see more of this material used in beach walkways and docks, instead of the pressure-treated lumber that's been an industry standard for decades. The polymer is highly resistant to weathering and the sun's ultraviolet radiation, and "accelerated weathering" tests in the laboratory indicate the material should survive outdoors for at least 50 years, Lynch said.

Moreover, the plastic lumber won't leach harmful chemicals into soil or water, she added.

"It's perfect for this location because it's not going to damage anything," Lynch said. "It's resistant to mildew, insects, or any kind of termite or marine worm."

Bridge projects near freshwater wetlands, such as an access road to Ocean County College in Dover Township, have required use of expensive tropical hardwoods. Environmental regulators are reluctant to approve treated lumber in places where they think chemicals that preserve the wood may also harm aquatic organisms.

Rutgers experts formulated the new material using two types of plastic.

"It's high-density polyethylene, like you see in milk jugs and detergent bottles," Lynch explained. "The second phase is polystyrene, like foam coffee cups and plastic eating utensils."

Polystyrene's rigid form is also well-known to anyone who's glued together scale model airplane kits. For Rutgers experts, the technical challenge lay in combining polyethylene's resistance to breaking with polystryrene's qualities of hardness.

They came up with a plastic that appears massive and dense, yet is lighter than treated lumber and competitive in cost for commercial projects. Polywood's biggest markets are in plastic railroad ties and structural components, Lynch said.

Under the tongue-and-groove bridge deck, a frame of I-beams provide support, while the entire bridge weighs two or three times less than the traditional wood timber types used to cross Pine Barrens streams, she said. To save money, engineers built the plastic span atop cut-down pilings from an old wooden bridge, which means canoeists and kayakers on the upper Mullica need to haul their boats out and around the new one.

The raw materials used by Polywood to make the bridge components were the equivalent of about 250,000 plastic jugs and 850,000 foam beverage cups, said Rutgers scientist Thomas Nosker. When the bridge decking was completed, it improved fire protection for the western side of the Wharton forest. Without a bridge, firefighters would need to follow nine miles of sand roads to reach the river's remote upper reaches, Lynch said.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, we took a late evening trip to Atsion to check to see if there actually is a plaque at the Plastic Bridge, and there is not. It seems in two days someone stole it.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
BobM said:
But it does NOT belong in the pines. Give me a cedar bridge!

I dunno. I'd prefer the cedar still standing in the swamps.

I'd much rather drive over the recycled laundry detergent containers than have them sit in a landfill forever.

I think JeffD was right about me. I must be turning into an eco-nut. I'm thinking about how cool it would be to have an old VW diesel and run it on bio-diesel, and how great it would be to have a house powered entirely with solar panels and heated with geothermal heat. I actually feel guilty about my Jeep's paltry 15MPG.

I think I may just become a Disney Ecologist someday...