Playin' in the snow!

B

BarryC

I just played in the snow from here to the nearest Wawa in Egg Harbor City. I had a bit of trouble with my 4 wheel drive, but it's okay now. But I like the feeling of being able to accelerate at a normal rate in the snow. It's cool. Maybe I will go out a little later though. I'm tempted. :D
BEHR655 said:
I took today off to go play in the snow in the Pines. I'm not sure what time I'll get out there or where I will be but I'll keep an eye out for anyone else that may be out there.

Steve

All,

Well I spent 7 hours just cruising the pines in the snow. It was so beautiful out there and I found a few roads that I was the first to travel. I covered a lot of territory. I entered off of Rt 72 onto Sooy Rd toward Oswego Lake and out to Rt 563 then went down Iron Pipe Rd to Washington Rd through Mount to Quaker Bridge. I then headed to Atsion to meet a friend at 3:00. From there we headed to Jemima Mount where I did a little sledding but not much as we wanted to get to Spring Hill before it got too dark. We didn't get there in time though. Spring Hill was the only place I had any trouble in the snow as I could not get up to the very top. Oh Well. From there we went out to Stevenson Rd and onto Beaver Dam Rd which took us out to Rt 539. We decided to go down to Stratford Forge. I had not been there in over 25 years. We used to dive off the bridge there and there was a hole only about 10 feet in diameter that you had to hit to live. It's a wonder we're all still alive. From there we headed into the Stratford Forge Wildlife Management Area and wound up coming back out onto Rt 539. It had been a long day and I was getting low on gas so we called it a day and headed home.

Check out my new nested album titled "Snow in B&W" http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Just a thought about sledding at Jemima Mount. I only made a couple of runs on the hill where you park. Anyone who is familier with Jemima knows that if you go up that hill and follow the trail it brings you to the other side of that hill and directly across from you is a second hill. I think it would be a great place to sled as going down the first hill will probably take you part way up the next hill. From there you could go up the next hill and sled back down and back up the first part way. Saves on some climbing maybe. Sound like Fun?

Steve

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I love having 4WD in the winter. The new Jeep does great in it.

I'd be a little nervous driving in the woods in the snow. The puddles probably get frozen and covered with snow. You wouldn't know about it until you get stuck.

The last time I drove in the woods in the snow it was right after that huge blizzard that we had last year. I took the old Jeep out to Union Clay Works. The roads were TERRIBLE out there and I almost slid off the trail into the woods.

I had no troubles and was driving on mostly familiar roads. We did turn around at one puddle in Stratford Forge because we were not familiar with it and we figured it was too dang cold to be messing around with being stuck. I actually had less trouble driving in the Pines than driving on the pavement. I guess it would be a little harder if the roads get totally hard packed and icy.

As far as frozen puddles go, last year while out there we were avoiding them like the plague until we realized that the water underneath had evaporated and it was actually dry below the ice. The puddles yesterday were not frozen though.

Steve

B

BarryC

Many years ago, like in the early 1990s, I was somewhere out in Wharton, powering through frozen puddles. I figured "What harm can I do? My bumper is very strong." I was driving through them all day I guess. The next day at work I happened to walk past the front of my truck and realized that I had badly dented the little strip of sheet metal that runs across the front of the truck just above the bumper. The part between the bumper and the right headlight took the worst damage. At that time my truck was still pretty nice. Oh well. I haven't done that since then. Of course through the later 90s there was no water in the woods. But now it's back. :)
Those are beautiful pictures, by the way. :)

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
Well well well Behr now Mitch and I know whos tire marks we were following...lol. We went out today but stayed in the car because we are all sick. Went from Jones Rd. in Waretown to Rt 539 and then we went to visit Pumpkin in Chatsworth. We came back into the pines at wading pines campground and the went to Washington Rd through Mount to Quaker Bridge. Where we went to Atsion. Then hit 206 and 30 and found the drive in movies, never knew it was there. Colby was asking what it was. Then went to find the other one down by AC and then poked around by an old salt hay homestead. Then we headed for home.

Yesterday just did some local driving around Barnegat
Nicole

I regret not being able to go out today since it was nice and sunny. I converted my pix to B&W because they were blue/grey and murky. At one point, around 4:00 or so, the sky in the west was kind of light brown or copper color and the snow took on the same cast. It looked kind of eerie. But I still like going out when the snow is still fresh.

Steve

B

bach2yoga

Steve,
sounds like you had fun!
The kids had fun pelting Jersey Jim with snowballs today, which he graciously returned in kind. :)
It is extraordinary in the snow, I took a few winterscapes but haven't uploaded them yet.
I like the black and white!
Renee