Pleasant Mills excursion ?

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Hi folks...

There is an opportunity for a group of us to have a tour the Pleasant Mills Playhouse. The gentleman who lives there would be willing to share with us his knowledge of its history along with his experience as owner/caretaker. I have gratefully accepted his offer and booked the tour for Friday, July 30 at 6 pm. We should meet at the Batsto Church and can walk there (weather permitting) since parking is an issue at the site. This tour is limited to 10 -12 people. First ones to PM me are on board. This is the first "outside" tour that he has offered aside from friends an relatives. I don't know how much of the buildiing/property will be shown to us - this is new to me too. We can expect to be there for about an hour. Let me know if you are interested....

turtle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can't make that date but if I could I would have loved to come.

How long has he owned it? In the 1940s or 1950s the founder of the company I work for along with a man who still works there occasionally, were hunting with a few friends and entered the playhouse. They thought it was abandoned and he went on the stage and started dancing while the other hunters laughed at him. Enter the owner who promptly threw them out. If he has owned it that long could you ask if he remembers that? It was a long time ago so I doubt it.

Guy

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Guy,
This man who is there now has not been there for that long. I will guess that he has been there approx. 10 years.....anyone who may know more, please share. He occasionally comes into my workplace and upon queries from other members of this site I decided to just ask him for an informal tour. (figuring that it would be of interest to many of you.) What the heck! He is willing to do it. Perhaps having us will be a good experience for him and he will provide the opportunity again. I now have to read up a little bit more on the site. I was thinking that pics for painting ideas were my angle, but I do love the history too. We will miss you and Jess.....

turtle

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I'm on board kid.
As you know it's been a long ride trying to get him more comfortable with a walk through.
Had I known all those years ago when Paul Lightman had the place what I know now, I would have taken scads of pics and taken lots of notes. Paul led me in willingly and with great stories and showmanship. There are somethings that simply have changed and not all for the good and years ago I had free run of the place a few times.
Ahh the shortmindedness of youth.
Given that the gentleman owning it today has at least let me in the big room as you go in the house, I'll take any more I can get. I do not think the theatre will be what it was when I was last in though.
Many thanks to the coolest chick on the site in helping "tear down the wall".
Your charms have outdone mine this time my lady!
But then, I always was better with the womenfolk.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I can't make that date but if I could I would have loved to come.

How long has he owned it? In the 1940s or 1950s the founder of the company I work for along with a man who still works there occasionally, were hunting with a few friends and entered the playhouse. They thought it was abandoned and he went on the stage and started dancing while the other hunters laughed at him. Enter the owner who promptly threw them out. If he has owned it that long could you ask if he remembers that? It was a long time ago so I doubt it.

Guy

Not even close to the same person. They might have been tossed on their bum by the very woman who made the dream so to speak, Ada Fenno perhaps. The little theatre society she helped create helped spawn the likes of Tony Curtis and Efrem Zymbalist if not mistaken. Ironically an active member and supporter of the little endevour was the pretty lady who owned the Ramble Inn right down the road a piece. I was able to get a little of the skinny on the place from her before she passed.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Hey there big fella.....mind if I take a spin in that snazzy white car of yours? :rofl:
turtle

After 22 years of owning it, and half the time just not getting around to driving it anymore, I say we just gut it, turn the shell upside down and have one kickass fiberglass "STINGRAY" canoe.
We'll put the 350 smallblock in your pontoon boat and be able to keep ahead of the skeeters.
Everybody wins.

Funny, last time I stopped at the mill was in the Corvette. Thought about a pic or two but moved on.

g.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thanks for this great opportunity Turtle! I was able to swing a few things around with work so that I might be able to participate. I won't be able to stay much past 7pm because I will have to get back to work, but if the tour is approx. an hour I should be good. Is there still room?

Jeff

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I gotta tell you that I am so sorry I haven't went on PB excursions with you guys before!

What a great time! The property was amazing and the company was even more so!!!

When is movie night???

Piney Progeny

Joe and I had a fabulous time last night! What a place! what a tour guide! who sang to us no less! Thanks for such a warm welcome to us newbies. You are a really nice group of people! I hope to see you all again soon. We'll be at the Silver Fox on the 21st.

Elaine

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I had a great time too. I never thought I'd get to see the inside of the mill. Doug is a born tour guide as well. After learning of his entertainment history, it is obvious where that comes from. I'm sorry I wasn't able to take part in any after-tour festivities. Did you guys go any place?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I really enjoyed the tour and was sorry I had to leave early. A big thanks to Turtle for setting this up!! Doug was an excellent host. I have always been curious about that old mill and now I finally got the chance to see it up close and personal. It was a pleasure meeting everyone there and seeing some familar faces.

Jeff

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
The Pine Barrens does possess within itself a certain Genesis effect. It has been put down in the written word and passed down from generation to generation verbally. Albeit its people, its resources or its fading structures and settlements, it tells us a tale of endurance and willingness to continue. The Pleasant Mill is no exception and in fact a shining star. Not once, twice, or thrice, this wonderful place endures. We, small group experienced that Friday eve'. It is with mixed emotion I write this. Outside the fading remnants of a regal mill and entertainment place wither and yet inside if you just look, and just let your mind wander you can see the places where equipment and man toiled together to make a living and provide resource. Today you will see something a little more like clutter and chaos inside yet in its own way, a continuation of the process.
I was pleased indeed to see it again and walk within its walls. Doug was in fact a good host and once he got started he couldn't stop. In our own way I think we breathed life into him that night. We may thank our elegant junket hostess for appealing to his showmanship to make it happen! His eclectic mix of wonderous items and pure trivial collection gave us insights into where the mill lies now. What becomes of it we do not know yet at the least it still stands and speaks volumes to longevity. We can only hope good fortune prevails.
Joe and Elaine, a pleasure to meet you. Enjoy this site. It has much to offer. Be wary of the one BOBPBX as he is a bad influence. Ahh the arrogance of youth he does possess himself. I wish I could bottle and sell it. Jeff, it is always a pleasure to spend a little time with the Jin. Mike, I hope you took the many pics you are famous for and share them with us. German, a gentleman and informer in your own right, good to see you again and at least in my case to answer your question I opted not to set about a drunken runabout but have dinner with a good friend. Janet, you are regal in your own sense and it was pleasing to really spend a little time with you outside this forum. Gipsie, you're just a fun person to be around and I hope to see you on another occasion (Movie night?, BRING YOU OWN POPCORN!!) Jerseyman, always a pleasure, and thank you my friend. Terry, I've said it to you off forum and I will say it again... Ya did good kid! Always the Catalist eh?".
We discovered a gift in Doug and the player piano was a highlight not just in that it worked so well but that he could accompany it in such an Operatic Tenor manner that we all got a gift that night. Mike & I did indeed exchange curious glances at his breaking out in song yet in the end, if any of you have a real appreciation for that kind of talent, we were blessed by his performance! My wife, a singer herself, on seeing the video was blown away.
So we'll remember this best kept secret of the pines and hope for a good end, or beginning as it continues its reign over Pleasant Mills and Sweetwater. I enjoyed the tour, and enjoyed you all.

Be well,

g.

valeriel

Sep 22, 2014
Largo, my grandfather was Paul lightman. We spent thanksgivings at the mill. I have some photos id. be happy to share with the group. Would love to go back and visit.
How did you know my grandfather? He passed away about 6 years ago. Would love to hear any memories of him you can recall.
I'm on board kid.
As you know it's been a long ride trying to get him more comfortable with a walk through.
Had I known all those years ago when Paul Lightman had the place what I know now, I would have taken scads of pics and taken lots of notes. Paul led me in willingly and with great stories and showmanship. There are somethings that simply have changed and not all for the good and years ago I had free run of the place a few times.
Ahh the shortmindedness of youth.
Given that the gentleman owning it today has at least let me in the big room as you go in the house, I'll take any more I can get. I do not think the theatre will be what it was when I was last in though.
Many thanks to the coolest chick on the site in helping "tear down the wall".
Your charms have outdone mine this time my lady!
But then, I always was better with the womenfolk.

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Largo has not posted since May but hopefully he will be notified of your post and will respond.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Largo, my grandfather was Paul lightman. We spent thanksgivings at the mill. I have some photos id. be happy to share with the group. Would love to go back and visit.
How did you know my grandfather? He passed away about 6 years ago. Would love to hear any memories of him you can recall.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
As luck would have it Val, here I am, a shadow of the past come to call on old friends.
Hello Guy it was like your voice beckoned from afar.
So Bob beware.

Paul used to let folks (Amatuer artist memory being selective, show work there)

The connection is this little old fellow who used to come in where I worked at the time to buy cheap trinkets at the electrical counter to fashion makeshift lights for portraits. no one had patience for him but me. took a couple hours every time for a few bucks of sockets clips and wire. I just liked the old dude,for some reason and it paid off.
I possess a bit of a gift for running into old timers with good stories willing to share stuff no one else ever heard. I like old folks, like old books, they are loaded with history but if you read any of my threads you will note their days are numbered once they've talked with me. It's my gift to find them and my curse to loose them again. based on what you wrote, poor Paul got caught in my legacy. Sorry, not trying to be ghoulish.He knew my Uncle Bear well just up the road and another friend old George Ireland just about next door.
So one day, and the post is here with pics early on in my presence to NJPB, I chose to canoe up the Mill race to eyeball it, banked the canoe, walked up to the road, door was open. Safe to say many had never seen or not in years the mill Playhouse proper.
I walked in, Lo! Behold! Paul!
We talked for a few hours about the place. he was a fun little dude. he gave me a little walk of the place. I seem to recall a dog (Collie?) I could be off on that one though. we walked the same wall line that Doug above did with us in 2010.
It was a fine time, a gentleman guide, and I walked back down the bank and to the canoe intoxicated with wonder. the paddle back was wonderful as I reeled with excitement from having seen a place no one had been in for years. Oh I saw Paul again a time or two getting his electrical trinkets and we talked and talked but eventually I just stopped seeing him come around.

So Val, he was as kind and willing to share a tale as any old timer I ever met in the Barrens that didn't chase me off. (That is rare)
I am better for having met him and even for that short time he freely gave a glimpse of the past that slips away from us every day.

g

Last edited: