Pleasure Club of Land Development

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I came across this picture while doing some research on another house in Lacey Township. It is titled "Pleasure club of land development project, Ocean County, New Jersey" Does anyone know what or where this was in Ocean County? It is dated 1938

Attachments

• 1604839091698.png
    1604839091698.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 199

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is sad that many of those photos don't have a more specific location on them.

I hope folks don't mind me popping into the forums after such a prolonged hiatus. I've been posting on Facebook for quite a while, but it has become such a cesspool of politics, I can barely tolerate scrolling through it.

I appreciate the sentiments expressed concerning my mother's passing. It is a difficult time for me, but soon enough my sorrow will yield to the joyous memories of the life we spent together over the past 35 years since my father died.

On to the subject at hand, the Ocean County Pleasure Club dates to 1924 and once stood on Riverwood Avenue (now Riverwood Drive) in the Pleasant Plains section of former Dover Township, located above Toms River. The building served as the Ocean County headquarters for the Ku Klux Klan. In September 1932, the Ocean County Sheriff sold the building and it attendant 28 acres of land to William B. Manson for $500, ending the KKK's presence there.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you for that information. Nice to see you posting.