Pohemus House Site Tour

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
THIS IS FROM THE ASNJ LISTSERV -- THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE OF INTEREST TO SOME. I BELIEVE MATT TOMASO'S CONTACT EMAIL IS mtomaso@psands.com

In late July, PS&S will be conducting Phase III investigations at the Polhemus House Site in Toms River, New Jersey.

On behalf of the project sponsor, you are invited to tour the excavations in-progress on July 23 or 30, 2010, from 12:00-2PM, and share your thoughts.

The Polhemus House Site is an 18th and 19th century domestic/industrial National Register-eligible site which has been investigated a few times over the last 30 years. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the site was occupied by a mill tender's house, a grist mill, a dam and mill-associated landscape features. The mill location has been destroyed, the dam has apparently been moved, and the mill tender's house site contains decades of domestic archaeological materials related to the site's occupation by milling families - notably including the Polhemus family, early settlers of the cross-roads community of Silverton.

PS&S' investigation will primarily focus on subsistence and economic practices represented by the site's rich faunal and ceramic assemblages as well as formation processes and landscape archaeology.

Please RSVP me by July 20 if you are interested in joining us. To visit the site, you will need to arrive by noon at a pre-arranged location near the site, and will be required to sign a 'hold-harmless' agreement provided by the project sponsor. My contact information is provided below. Directions and additional information will be supplied upon receipt of your request.

Thanks,

Matthew Tomaso, M.A., RPA

Director of Archaeology
67B Mountain Blvd. Ext.
Warren, NJ 07059
Office: 732-584-0635
Cell: 973-216-1250
Fax: 732-271-4890
www.psands.com

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, WV
Is this just for ASNJ members or is it open to the public?

I would think it is open to the public, since the criteria for being a "member" of ASNJ is showing up. Also, it seems to indicate that the Ocean County Historical Society is welcome -- again, as I'm sure you're aware, the criteria for most historical societies is 1. showing up and 2. being ancient. I think they'll just want people to sign something saying they won't loot the site.