Point Breeze

bnsilly

Scout
Apr 3, 2003
New Jersey
Does anyone have any info on Point Breeze? I read an article today claiming that there are tunnels out there. Unfortunately I left the book at work and can't quote it.

Is this worth looking into?

Thanks

Jodi

bnsilly

Scout
Apr 3, 2003
New Jersey
Morning,

Found my book....Stories of New Jersey, by Frank Stockton, pg 204. Tells the story of Jonathon Bonaparte, Napoleons brother. Bought land in Bordentown on a hill called Point Breeze. Where he built a home and owned over 1000 acres. I'd love to scan and post this but the scanner is down. Anyway the book states that "there were subterranean passages which led from the house to unfrequented parts of the grounds. These passages were well built, arched with brick, and high enough for people to walk upright in them;....".

I just thought this interesting and wondered if the tunnels still existed?? I've read else where that the original house had been torn down and the new owner built and Italian stylr Villa. I believe now that the place is a mission. Will definately have to do more research when I have the time...

Josie

May 19, 2003
NJ
Actually, the estate belonged to Joseph Bonaparte (Nepoleon's Brother), not Jonathon. There was a good article about the current state of the tunnels beneath it in Weird NJ issue #12. Hope this helps...Josie

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
A lot of book stores carry the back issues of Weird NJ. If you can't find one locally to you, I will check and see if the one by me has it and then I will sell it to you.

I've considered selling my WNJ, issues 7-current.

bnsilly

Scout
Apr 3, 2003
New Jersey
OK Ben I have a question for you. You have 7 issues.......did you lose interest in them?? I wasn't sure if subscribing to the magazine was something I would find interest in beyond a few issues. I'll run by the bookstore in a week or so. Thanks.......Jodi

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
bnsilly said:
OK Ben I have a question for you. You have 7 issues.......did you lose interest in them?? I wasn't sure if subscribing to the magazine was something I would find interest in beyond a few issues. I'll run by the bookstore in a week or so. Thanks.......Jodi

They're of little historical research value to me. Once in a while they will write something interesting, but a lot of the time it's just about satan worshipers, the KKK, Nazi's, or worse - North Jersey.

I suppose that if the right offer came along for them I would let them go. I am in the process of selling a lot of my worldly possessions for some extra cash.