Pole Bridge Branch, and Political Signs

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

This morning we went looking for a stone from the late 1700's and needed to cross the channel of the Pole Bridge Branch, so we put on our waders along the road before we entered the woods. As usual our path was blocked by severe briers and it took us quite a while to get to the channel.

I was surprised to see that it was almost completely void of water. In this photo my flash went off because we were in a cedar swamp so the quality is poor.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/902-1/IMG_6002.jpg

We searched and searched and came up empty handed on the stone, so we returned through the briers to the car and headed to our next destination.

Last night I received an email from the man I have mentioned before that is a member of the gun club on the road to Union Clay Works near route 72. He told me a few of them were meeting there this morning, so Jessica and I went there and spent an hour talking with them about the area. He gave me some tips on some possible ruins in the area, and we may go there with him later in the year.

We then headed home and could not help being annoyed at the political signs at the Red Lion Circle for Corzine. They were putting them up when we passed by, and they are all along route 70 from the circle to the Green and Red Top markets. Did anyone else see them and want to comment on them?

Guy

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
whodat??

whodat.jpg
:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So that was you! I was wondering why you did not go. Now I know why.
We had just left the gun club, and took one shot at finding something and failed. That is a pretty important road where I will be spending quite a bit of time this fall.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just talked to Jessica and she said she saw you take a photo. She did not even mention it until I showed her the photo.

Guy

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
When I used to work for the Department of Transportation (prior to retirement), I was made aware of the state regulation prohibiting signs, among other things, from being placed within state right-of-way lines along the highways. Don't know how far back the line is here, but if you believe the signs are too close to the roadway you might contact the regional Maintenance office to report them. They should check it out and if there is a violation, have the foreman of the applicable maintenance yard dispatched to confiscate them. If the signs are outside the right-of-way line they are on private property, and the owner(s) would be responsible for either keeping them or removing them.

If I were still working at the DOT I would take care of this matter myself, but it's been nearly 15 years since I retired. There has been a change regarding the numbrer and location of Maintenance regions, and I currently do not have the location of their various headquarters. A telephone directory listing under NJ Department of Transportation should steer you to the right office.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There's a guy running for council in a town near me and his name is......

MUSTARDO

And as a special touch, his signs are bright yellow (as in French's). Its actually pretty funny.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
aserdaten said:
When you might contact the regional Maintenance office to report them. They should check it out and if there is a violation, have the foreman of the applicable maintenance yard dispatched to confiscate them.

The funny things is I believe the signs are right in front of the maintenance garage of the DOT :) At least it is where they store salt and sand.

Guy

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
woodjin said:
King of the pines, you have one very clean dashboard!!

He does, doesn't he? It surely looks better than mine.

For a minute there I thought that was Lauries road then I realized that there was no sign.