Pollen

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It is really heavy out there today. The stringy things started falling from the oaks awhile ago but are still going strong, and the yellow pine pollen is everywhere. I rinsed it off my car with the hose and spent about an hour hiking around Belleplain. When I got back to the car it was covered with yellow dust again.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The stringy things are pretty much done here earlier than usual. I wait till they are finished before cleaning the ran gutters, and in the past that was usually around Memorial Day. Had some pixie dust a week or so ago, but very little since, and I hope it stays that way. Really clogs up air filters.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
As I was eating lunch today at Whitesbog, the winds were yellow. I don't think what dusted my sandwich and everything else can be called trail spice, there has to be another name.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Really heavy here today, I think it's getting near the peak. You can see a yellow haze in the air. Driving around, I thought I saw smoke blowing from a forest fire but it was pollen. Then walking around the woods, I could literally see a yellow puff of dust each time my foot touched the ground. But for some reason it isn't bothering me so much today.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
poleenreduction.jpg

Most, if not all off the banks of the reservoirs had this appearance. Boyd, I hope it is near peak. I don't get congested, but when it gets heavy like this, it does irritate my eyes to some degree. The combination of eye drops and sun glasses offer some relief.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I had a family BBQ yesterday and we wound up having to have it inside. We cleaned everything off and an hour later it was all yellow again:( We could watch the yellow pine pollen just blowing off the trees. It has to be close to peak and should get better by the end of the week.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Since I had pneumonia last winter (from the H1N1 flu), breathing is iffy in good weather sometimes. The oak stringy things I can't sweep up, I have to use the hose or else the sinuses plug right up. The pollen this year has been a royal pain, thank God for Benedryl (ha ha). My truck was white when I went into the woods and came out yellowish/green,I could see the pollen blowing out of the pines. At least the fish are biting :) Hopefully it's peaked and will diminish.
Greg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well the pine pollen is gone, but the oak pollen has made a comeback. The oak trees have been odd this year - many of them have had mature leaves for awhile, while others have not. I'm pretty sure this is the result of some of the trees having their growth stunted by the multiple frosts that we had. The difference between the mature and young leaves on the trees is very striking down South around me. And I have driven the length of Rt 563 a few times in the last week or so and you can see the difference there too (as recently as yesterday).

Yesterday I went up to the Delaware Water Gap to get away from the pollen, and before I left I cleaned my windshield. Went back into the house for about 10 minutes and when I returned to the car, there was already a light coating of pollen. The "stringy things" are still coming down here too. Perfect day for a hike in the DWG yesterday and my head was clear. An hour after I got home, I was sneezing again! Hopefully this will be the end of this pollen, although there is a new coating of it on the car and porch this morning.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Still no relief from the pollen in my area. For the past week it's been yellowish fuzzy stuff. I wiped down the table on my porch at lunchtime today. An hour later it was covered with pollen again. :confused: