Popcorn Park Zoo murder

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Those kids that murdered the animals at Popcorn Park Zoo and the the goose at Wells Mills Park deserve to be put to death themselves.

I can't fathom attacking a helpless animal, but so many people seem to take great delight in doing it.

Laura and I went to Popcorn Park Zoo last Saturday and saw one of the remaining emu's that they had left. It was so tame that you could pretty much let it eat out of your hand and pet it.

I only hope that the prosecution in this case doesn't make any "plea bargains" with these kids. They really should be put away for a LONG time, if not simply executed for what they did.

B

bach2yoga

Wait, did I miss something?
What happened at Popcorn Park Zoo? My kids love that place!
Renee

B

bach2yoga

Mon Dieu, that is sickening.
I really wonder how people get to be like that. What went wrong???
Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Jackass kids.

I swear, every time I have to deal with some stupid teenager it makes me want to cringe. I'm 25, and the difference that I see between how my friends and I were when we were their age and how they act is utterly amazing.

I blame the parents. I grew up knowing that if I did something wrong, I was going to be punished. In today's politically correct society, everybody is brought up to find a way of blaming the other person. Had the parents instilled basic values on the kids, this probably wouldn't have happened. And you can't blame the environment that they grew up in, since I had a rather rough childhood and I still was brought up right.

Unfortunately what will happen is that they will get a slap on the wrist, or maybe 5 years of jail time, and then be free to do this again.

One of the assemblymen in NJ has proposed legislation to make a law similar to Megans Law for animal cruelty offenders, which would require people who have been charged with animal cruelty to register with their local police when they move into a community. They require this after the 2nd conviction, which I believe is a bit toothless.

I can only pray that if/when they go to jail that the other inmates don't take too kindly to what they did and they find a uh... er... way to "introduce them to the prison lifestle." :shock:

J

JeffD

I hope they go in as a bass and come out a soprano (and I'm not talking about that slime bag Mafia character than is glorified).

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
http://www.app.com/app2001/story/0,21133,744051,00.html

HOORAY!!!

Inmates break jaw of suspect in beating deaths of zoo birds

Published in the Asbury Park Press 5/30/03
By NICHOLAS CLUNN
STAFF WRITER
TOMS RIVER -- One of the 18-year-olds accused of bludgeoning to death eight birds at a Lacey zoo sustained a broken jaw, a fractured nose and other facial injuries after he was assaulted by fellow inmates at the Ocean County Jail.

Authorities from the jail and other county departments are investigating the assault, which Jail Warden Theodore J. Hutler Jr. said was not unusual.

"There is a possibility he could be assaulted again," Hutler said. "This is jail, and it goes with the turf."

In an interview at the jail yesterday, Matthew Ronneberg said the assault lasted at least a minute before jail officers came to rescue him from his three male attackers, all in their late teens or early 20s.

"One hit me, and I dropped on my bed," said Ronneberg, 18.

There are about six assaults in the jail each year, Hutler said.

Ronneberg lost a tooth in his lower jaw and needed stitches to close a wound on his face. A deep blue bruise sagged below his left eye.

The time it took officers to respond to Ronneberg is normal, since there are several security doors that separate officers from inmates, Hutler said.

Ronneberg was assaulted in his cell on Friday after his attackers came in through his unlocked door. Many inmates have access to a day room during certain periods, and their cells are unlocked so they can go there.

Since the attack, the jail has relocated Ronneberg to a medical wing. Ronneberg said he expects to stay there for about six weeks. According to the jail's rules, Ronneberg will be returned to the general population after a doctor's approval.

Ronneberg, Thomas Cavanaugh of the Forked River section of Lacey and Matthew Mercuro of Waretown, all 18, were arrested May 21 and accused of entering Popcorn Park Zoo and bludgeoning to death three ducks, three emus and two rheas with a rake, a piece of PVC pipe and a shovel.

Cavanaugh and Mercuro also were at the Ocean County Jail last night. All three are being held with a bail set at $114,000 each.

Each was charged with eight counts of killing an animal and single counts of burglary, criminal trespass of a research facility and criminal mischief.

The teens had been joy-riding in a car owned by Mercuro's family when they entered the grounds of the zoo.

Additionally, in Manchester, the three have been charged with setting fire to a woodshed and a golf cart, spray-painting swastikas on a paint-ball business and shattering windows at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Roman Catholic Church.

They also were charged in the killing of a domestic goose at Wells Mills County Park in Waretown. All of the crimes occurred late Sunday or early Monday, the same night as the bird killings.

Nicholas Clunn: (609) 978-4597, or at nclunn@app.com

J

JeffD

Sounds like these creeps of of the same calipher as the perpetrators of the Columbine High School killings. It's good the authorities got them and have them locked up and they are not in a Country Club.

Maybe they'll be able to play football in prison. They can start out as a tight end and come out a wide reciever.