Poplar Grove Chesterfield Twp

Marcia Stoetzel

Feb 11, 2009
Does any one have knowledge of "Poplar Grove" in Chesterfield Twp. the year is 1828. This area is mentioned in the "New Jersey Mirror" as the residence of Thomas Taylor who died Aug. 22, 1828. I am seeking information on him .

Thank you
Marcia Stoetzel

Does any one have knowledge of "Poplar Grove" in Chesterfield Twp. the year is 1828. This area is mentioned in the "New Jersey Mirror" as the residence of Thomas Taylor who died Aug. 22, 1828. I am seeking information on him.

Thank you
Marcia Stoetzel

Marcia:

According to my sources, Poplar Grove is not a community toponym. Rather, it is a farm name. Thomas Taylor constructed the west end of his “Poplar Grove” farmhouse in 1813 and the eastern end in 1817 along the Old York Road in Chesterfield Township. The master mason who constructed the dwelling included Thomas’s initials, as well as his wife Charlotte’s initials, in the exterior wall brickwork. Thomas and Charlotte had four children: Sarah; Ann Margaret; Samuel C.; and Charlotte. Thomas died in 1828 and in his Will he devised his plantation to his only son, Samuel C. Taylor. Here is a detail from the 1858 map of Burlington County depicting the location of S.C. Taylor’s property:

Poplar_Grove_1858.jpg

This is the same “Poplar Grove” farmstead that his father began building in 1813. The house still stood in 1963 and the owner at that time was Louis M. and Mary Keisling Jr.

I will post several photographs of the house later.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Marcia Stoetzel

Feb 11, 2009
Thomas Taylor

Jerseyman
I have an additional question. It appears this Thomas Taylor is not the descendent that I am looking for. Do you have any record or information on a Thomas Taylor married to Patience who had a son named Benjamin. From the same time period. Benjamin was born Nov.3, 1807 and died Oct. 12, 1883 in New Hanover Twp. Burlington, NJ.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Marcia

Marcia Stoetzel

Feb 11, 2009
sharing info on Taylor

Hi Jerseyman
I hope it is alright but I have offered to share your information on "Poplar Grove" with other Taylor Searchers on Southern New Jersey Genealogy Group website. It is very exciting for us to have more info on this group of Taylors

Thanks
Marcia Taylor Stoetzel

Jerseyman
I have an additional question. It appears this Thomas Taylor is not the descendent that I am looking for. Do you have any record or information on a Thomas Taylor married to Patience who had a son named Benjamin. From the same time period. Benjamin was born Nov.3, 1807 and died Oct. 12, 1883 in New Hanover Twp. Burlington, NJ.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Marcia

Marcia:

I suspect the Thomas Taylor death notice you found in the New Jersey Mirror is the one I described above and NOT the Thomas Taylor you are seeking. To give this thread the obligatory Pine Barrens connection, is the Benjamin you mention the miller who resided in Browns Mills prior to his death?

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Hi Jerseyman
I hope it is alright but I have offered to share your information on "Poplar Grove" with other Taylor Searchers on Southern New Jersey Genealogy Group website. It is very exciting for us to have more info on this group of Taylors

Thanks
Marcia Taylor Stoetzel

Marcia:

I have no problem with you disseminating the information. The ancestry of the Taylor I described can be traced back to Samuel Taylor, who arrived in Burlington on the “flie boat Martha” in November 1677. He died in Chesterfield in 1725. Whether your Taylor descends from the same line, I cannot tell you.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Marcia Stoetzel

Feb 11, 2009
Benjamin Taylor

The Benjamin Taylor that I was looking for information about died in Recklesstown (now Chesterfield) in Burlington Co. He was a Farm Laborer and I doubt the miller that you spoke of. Does that disqualify him from the Pine Barrens Community? I hope not.

Marcia

The Benjamin Taylor that I was looking for information about died in Recklesstown (now Chesterfield) in Burlington Co. He was a Farm Laborer and I doubt the miller that you spoke of. Does that disqualify him from the Pine Barrens Community? I hope not.

Marcia

Marcia:

My “obligatory” statement was a weak attempt at humor and should not be construed in any other way. I am confused by your statement that Benjamin died in New Hanover Township. Chesterfield Township has always contained Recklesstown, named for Anthony Reckless, a hero of the American War for Independence. This hamlet is geographically centered in Chesterfield and was never situated in New Hanover. If Benjamin worked as a farm laborer, then he probably did not have much of an estate. Did his father seek a similar type of employment? There is little doubt in my mind that the death notice you found is for the Chesterfield farm owner Thomas Taylor and not the father of your Benjamin. If you think there is any possibility that the Thomas you seek possessed some real or personal estate upon his death, you could check the following probate proceedings at either the Burlington County Courthouse or at the New Jersey State Archives:

Thomas Taylor Sr., Will and Inventory, 1826 (13683C)
Thomas Taylor Jr., Will and Inventory, 1846 (15256C)
Thomas Taylor, Will and Inventory, 1856 (16199C)

Based on the dating of probate proceedings for several Benjamin Taylors in the list, none appear to be the Benjamin you seek.

If you think your Thomas died with little or no estate and, hence, would have no probate proceedings, I suggest you check with the various church and public burial grounds in and around Chesterfield Township, although there may not be any markers for your ancestors. Still, extant cemetery records may yield some information. If you know Benjamin’s burial site, chances are your Thomas is there as well.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Marcia Stoetzel

Feb 11, 2009
Taylor Family

Jerseyman
Thank you for your help . Myself and the other "Taylor Family" seekers appreciate all you have provided us with. The Taylor name was so popular in the area it makes it hard to separate one family from another.
This is what I have on "our" Benjamin Taylor. His parents were Thomas and Patience Taylor. ( I have never found the name Patience Taylor in anything I have researched) Born Nov. 3, 1807 in NJ Died Oct 123, 1881 in New Hanover Twp. Burlington. Buried in Jacobstown, NJ, He comitted suicide and there was a newspaper article to that effect (affect?).

I am coming back to NJ in June and will check the State Archives for the Will and Inventory information you provided

Sincerely
Marcia Stoetzel

Jerseyman
Thank you for your help. Myself and the other "Taylor Family" seekers appreciate all you have provided us with. The Taylor name was so popular in the area it makes it hard to separate one family from another.
This is what I have on "our" Benjamin Taylor. His parents were Thomas and Patience Taylor. ( I have never found the name Patience Taylor in anything I have researched) Born Nov. 3, 1807 in NJ Died Oct 123, 1881 in New Hanover Twp. Burlington. Buried in Jacobstown, NJ, He comitted suicide and there was a newspaper article to that effect.

I am coming back to NJ in June and will check the State Archives for the Will and Inventory information you provided

Sincerely
Marcia Stoetzel

Marcia:

Here is a short notice of Benjamin’s death from the 13 October 1881 edition of the Trenton Gazette (Page 3):

I hope you find this notice useful in your quest. At this point in time, I have nothing further to add to this thread.

Best regards,
Jerseyman