Possible Government Shut-down may affect your weekend..

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
To see cones in front of caranza memorial and cops sitting outside of pilgrim lake is a complete joke. Politicans should be completely embareassed for pulling this stunt on a holiday weekend. This makes me not even want to live in this state anymore.

The timing was because we were supposed to have a signed budget by midnight June 30. We did not.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
Although I don't know the full details, it may be more complicated than that. Operating as a major insurance carrier in a state may come with certain rules and obligations. I doubt the Governor would ask for that money unless he had some legal leg to stand on.

The bill he wants passed, in exchange for signing the budget, would have given him that legal leg.

Cherokee261

Scout
Aug 6, 2015
Medford Lakes
They need to present a budget to Christie, not vote on it. The horizon bill is not part of the budget.
They do vote on the budget, once it's approved they send it to the governor. If Prieto was confident his party would vote the way he wanted them to, he would have put both the budget and the Horizon bill up for a vote. If both were voted down we'd be in the same spot, but at least the full legislature would have been a part of that decision.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Why get worked up about something you have no control over? Go out and enjoy the pine barrens, instead of increasing your blood pressure being political analysts. Your quality of life will increase if you spend more time in the woods.
Just don't stop on state land lol:siren:

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
They do vote on the budget, once it's approved they send it to the governor. If Prieto was confident his party would vote the way he wanted them to, he would have put both the budget and the Horizon bill up for a vote. If both were voted down we'd be in the same spot, but at least the full legislature would have been a part of that decision.

They have a budget to send. The governor said he would take his red pen to over 70 items if they did not pass hiss horizon bill, then sign it. If they passed the bill he would sign it and not veto those 70 plus items. The speaker wanted him to sign the budget they were ready to send, leaving those 70 plus items in (which Christie has no problem with) and then discuss the horizon bill.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Reactions: 46er

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
Why get worked up about something you have no control over? Go out and enjoy the pine barrens, instead of increasing your blood pressure being political analysts. Your quality of life will increase if you spend more time in the woods.

I agree, being in the woods would help, however, lots of quality of life decisions are made for you in Trenton.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"m taking my dogs swimming tomorrow,on state forest land.Figure out where.The government does not own the rivers and they don't own the land.We do.I can't figure out how we have no money to keep the parks open but we have the money to pay park Police to patrol lands to keep us off. Theres 90,000 acres out there.It's their guess where and when. I'll take this one to court.
Here Trenton! Put this in your pipe and smoke it!

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Saw horse trailers at Carranza Memorial this morning, cones moved aside. Drove by after our criminal walk and the cones were replaced, trailers still there and a Park Police SUV sitting in the lot. Batona Camp was empty. It's a real sorry state of affairs when decent people who just want to peacefully enjoy their holiday weekend are treated this way.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Plenty of folks swimming, canoeing and kayaking at Harrisville today. Saw several Park Police vehicles at Batsto and folks being turned away.......Atsion Rec Center was gated shut as was Atsion Family Campground. Signs on all the cabins....sure Goshen was closed as well. Betcha a dollar Oswego Lake was packed with folks today. Keep a low profile, don't argue if asked to leave and remember it stinks to be a NJPP officer having to enforce this....this should all be over soon. Plus a new administration next year :)

Last edited: