Possible Sighting!

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I just measured my 135 lb Great Dane's front paw, 4 1/2 " long, 3 " wide.
This is a nice thread!

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You should have him walk in dirt and post a photo. Nice to compare.

Guy

kaugie125

Nice comparison, I just keep looking at that photo and it looks really similar to the wolf. The track was longer than 4 1/2 inches and ecampbell's Great Dane doesn't even measure up to this track. I just think its wierd their are nobody else's footprints around...but their are big fresh tracks

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Nice comparison, I just keep looking at that photo and it looks really similar to the wolf. The track was longer than 4 1/2 inches and ecampbell's Great Dane doesn't even measure up to this track. I just think its wierd their are nobody else's footprints around...but their are big fresh tracks

its always possable , even tho it may not be common in the area for wolves , but it is very possable , and actually seeing one it may have even been mistaken as a dog since they are very simular to the husky , my aunt had a malamute and wolf mix and it was huge ! it just passed away or i would go check out the foot prints that dog would make , its very close to the wolf family, also possable why you didnt see other tracks , sometimes id be 100 feet or so away while my dog is running around in the woods , its very possable the owner may have been near by if it was a large dog

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/3766/180081401l11564e0cz4.jpg

perfect example on how big they actually get

kaugie125

My dad just got news of these pictures, and he claims he and my younger brother, while driving, have seen what he thought was a wolf holding a rabbit in its mouth crossing over 72 near the pigmy pines...he says it was way to big to be a coyote or if it was it was a very large well fed one.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The yote's I've seen in NJ are quite large. My brother in law's, brother in law is from Oregon and he was with me while driving home on the parkway when we saw a yote cross the road.....He said they are significantly larger here. It is been said that the breeding with the red wolf has resulted in a bigger yote here.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county

The first pic in the mud is not a cougar track. It looks like a dog-like track to me. Cougar have a double scaloped heel pad in the rear and a single in the front. Also no claws will be seen(possible in sand though).

Cougars while reported from time to time don't really occur here anymore(according to the state).....with the exception of escaped drug dealers pets(which are normally declawed) which show up from time to time.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The yote's I've seen in NJ are quite large. My brother in law's, brother in law is from Oregon and he was with me while driving home on the parkway when we saw a yote cross the road.....He said they are significantly larger here. It is been said that the breeding with the red wolf has resulted in a bigger yote here.

The eastern coyote is without a doubt significantly larger than it's western counterpart. I believe it is from interbreeding with the grey wolf (not the red). I have heard a few people (mostly hunters) comment of wolf sightings, but it is most likely very large eastern coyotes.

I can't account for the size of those prints you found though. That is very large. Could they be from the front prints of a bear? How remote is the area you found these prints in?

Jeff

kaugie125

The area is about a half mile off a road in chatsworth..it is still pretty remote though. The area is a near sanctuary for any animal with all different sources, water sand open area, Dense cover area. Lots of deer seem to hang out their. Beavers otters among other animals.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Jeff, you are right, I always confuse that. The red wolf is thought to be a cross between coyote and the grey wolf, and not a separate species. Maybe what we have here is a red wolf....or maybe it is just coyote's that are getting real big due to lack of competition for food sources.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My dad just got news of these pictures, and he claims he and my younger brother, while driving, have seen what he thought was a wolf holding a rabbit in its mouth crossing over 72 near the pigmy pines...he says it was way to big to be a coyote or if it was it was a very large well fed one.

Jessica and I saw the same thing minus the rabbit crossing 72 between Coyle Field and 539.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I found some coyote prints today deep in the pine plains. Very unlikely to be a dog at this location. It is approx. 4" long, give or take a centimeter.

watermark.php

You might notice that this print is very typical coyote with the toe pads close set, enlongated, and very long claws. I think K125's photo is more indictive of dog. A very large one.

Jeff

Semi-Urban Beaver?

devilstoy, they were definitely beavers, the whole area seemed to be a beaver "town," . My friend was walking along the hill on the edge of the water and he sunk right into a Beaver hole, they were everywhere, i even think their was a dead one down their because the amount of fly and insects coming out of the whole after he fell was rediculous.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Kaugie125. They clued me in to something that I saw today I probably would have missed if I hadn't looked at your pictures last night.

I was hanging out today in a pretty urban environment (i.e., a stream bank along the Camden-Burlington county line along a pretty busy road) and saw several trees that looked a lot like one of the tree shots that you posted the other day.

You folks on this forum are knowledgeable about this stuff. I have attached some cell phone shots I took of three trees and shavings at the bottom of one of the trees (they're also in my photo gallery). Do you think that one or more beavers have been involved? If so, it would be pretty surprising to me for beaver to be thriving along a road that's evidently got an average daily traffic count of 24,400 vehicles.

I've seen the handiwork of beavers up close before, but it was way out in the sticks in Aroostook County, Maine, and there was a whole family involved and a very obvious lodge location or two. I didn't see any obvious lodge today.

Dave

BeaverTree1-3Jan2009.JPG

BeaverTree2-3Jan2009.JPG

BeaverTree3-3Jan2009.JPG

BeaverTree4-3Jan2009-Shavings.JPG

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Thanks for posting the pictures, Kaugie125. They clued me in to something that I saw today I probably would have missed if I hadn't looked at your pictures last night.

I was hanging out today in a pretty urban environment (i.e., a stream bank along the Camden-Burlington county line along a pretty busy road) and saw several trees that looked a lot like one of the tree shots that you posted the other day.

You folks on this forum are knowledgeable about this stuff. I have attached some cell phone shots I took of three trees and shavings at the bottom of one of the trees (they're also in my photo gallery). Do you think that one or more beavers have been involved? If so, it would be pretty surprising to me for beaver to be thriving along a road that's evidently got an average daily traffic count of 24,400 vehicles.

I've seen the handiwork of beavers up close before, but it was way out in the sticks in Aroostook County, Maine, and there was a whole family involved and a very obvious lodge location or two. I didn't see any obvious lodge today.

Dave

BeaverTree1-3Jan2009.JPG

BeaverTree2-3Jan2009.JPG

BeaverTree3-3Jan2009.JPG

BeaverTree4-3Jan2009-Shavings.JPG

Ive seen Beavers in Berlin at the Berlin Park, i also saw a beaver in Newton lake in Oaklyn/collingswood . They are all over the place

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
The eastern coyote is without a doubt significantly larger than it's western counterpart. I believe it is from interbreeding with the grey wolf (not the red). I have heard a few people (mostly hunters) comment of wolf sightings, but it is most likely very large eastern coyotes.

I can't account for the size of those prints you found though. That is very large. Could they be from the front prints of a bear? How remote is the area you found these prints in?

Jeff

bear track shows five toes