PPA Rallying The Troops For Commission Appointment

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Received this memo in work today through an indirect channel and thought it was worth sharing here.
It actually makes a lot of sense.

The Camden County Freeholders are preparing to appoint a new representative to the Pinelands Commission. This is a great opportunity to get someone who is qualified and dedicated onto the Commission. We know that multiple qualified individuals have submitted resumes for the position.

However, the county freeholders have an informal policy of choosing only representatives from Winslow Township. This leaves out so many qualified individuals who live in other parts of the Pinelands, or those who work, hike, camp, and explore in the Pines or get their water from the Kirkwood-Cohansey Aquifer.

Join us tomorrow evening at the Camden County freeholder meeting to speak out against this practice and let the freeholders know that all residents deserve to be represented on the Pinelands Commission, not just those from Winslow Township.

When: Thursday, October 19th, 7:00PM

Where: Camden County Boathouse, 7050 N. Park Drive, Pennsauken, NJ 08109

Why: To make sure all Camden County residents are represented on the Commission

At the advice of several longtime Camden County resident activists, the freeholders will not respond well to arguments about the pipelines, and we aim to keep the focus on transparency and equal representation.

Looking forward to seeing you there! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Katie

Katherine Smith

Pinelands Preservation Alliance

Policy Advocate

(609) 859-8860 x 122

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It kind of looks to me like maybe Winslow Twp is the only part of Camden County that is actually within the Pinelands National Reserve and/or the state-designated Pinelands Preservation area?
I am in Waterford which is 100% under Pinelands jurisdiction as is neighboring Chesilhurst.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Scott, with your civil engineering and environmental background, including hunting, fishing, and exploring in the Pinelands, you would make an excellent representative on the Pinelands Commission.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bob ! I probably wouldn't fit the mold of a political appointee very well though.
In addition, Commission Meetings are always held on weekdays during business hours when non-politically appointed people are actually working. :)
It would also create conflicts of interest for our business because of projects that we take on in the Pinelands area. I have three active projects scattered about my desk right now.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thats odd, any idea why Winslow Twp is so special?

I don't know why they are special but I can tell you that Norman Tomasello was a 14 year member of the Commission and he was a Winslow Mayor and farmer. Ed Mcglinchey was the Public Works Director and Zoning Officer in Winslow since I began my career in land use in 1982. Ed took over Norman's slot. Both were well qualified but it doesn't explain why candidates from other Camden County Pinelands towns may not have been considered, if that was in fact the case.

Ed's appointment in 2010:
http://www.nj.gov/pinelands/images/pdf files/press/PR_McGlincheyJoinsPinelandsCommission.pdf

Last edited:

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Didn't see a good map but eyeballing it there's not much of Wharton in Winslow compared to Waterford.
Only thing I can come up with is population, Winslow is over 3x more populated than others.