Prescribed Burning Today - Wharton, other sites

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
From the DEP:

Today, Feb. 6, the New Jersey Forest Fire Service will be conducting prescribed burning operations in the following areas.

72.png
Burlington County – Manchester Twp. – Manchester Wildlife Management Area
72.png
Burlington County – Shamong Township - Wharton State Forest
72.png
Burlington County – Washington Twp. – Private Property
72.png
Burlington County – Washington Twp. – Wharton State Forest
72.png
Burlington County - Woodland Twp. - Brendan T Byrne State Forest
72.png
Camden County – Winslow Twp. – Winslow Wildlife Management Area
72.png
Ocean County – Berkeley Twp. – Double Trouble State Park
72.png
Ocean County – Lacey Twp. – Double Trouble State Park

Reactions: Boyd and stiltzkin

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Just received that email as well. I was wondering if there was some kind of prescribed burn yesterday. There was a good bit of smoke visible, maybe in the vicinity of Bear Swamp, but I couldn't figure out where exactly.

There was also a brush fire in a field behind Medford Leas a couple of days ago.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It shows Hampton is getting burned today. They are also doing many of the feeds strips in the Batsto area near the Washington Turnpike. And a few spots between Jackson road and Atsion road.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It also looks like Friendship is being burned.

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
New update and a link to subscribe.

Prescribed Burning Today, 2/7
Today, Feb. 7, the New Jersey Forest Fire Service will be conducting prescribed burning operations in the following areas.
Cumberland County – Vineland City – Peaslee Wildlife Management Area
Ocean County – Berkeley Twp. – Double Trouble State Park
Somerset County – Peapack-Gladstone Borough – County Property
This schedule is weather dependent and subject to change. If in doubt about the source of smoke or fire, call 9-1-1 or 877-WARN-DEP (877-927-6337).
Active / upcoming prescribed burn map: https://www.njparksandforests.org/fire/infotools/rxb.html

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks like their are plans to burn Apple Pie Hill and the complete large rye field along 539.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Today they are burning at Allen Road and Stage road in Bass River. Quite a few interesting property stones around there. They are also burning the large rye field off of 539 that I mentioned yesterday. And they are burning in Lebanon where I mentioned yesterday. And on Mount Misery Pasadena road on the former property of Asa Pittman. And other places as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: stiltzkin and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It should be interesting to see how far north that fire went. I have been back there many multiple times looking for Asa's corner. I have found them all but one and the fire will help. However, that area was logged in more recent years and they may have removed the corner. I will get there soon.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I should be able to check the extent of all of the burns in a couple of days. The previous day's imagery usually shows up the next day, but it needs to be clear. The cloud cover today will probably obscure everything.

Hard to understand why that Mount Misery section was burned.

No idea. Check out the differences in that area between 1984 and 1995, though.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
No idea. Check out the differences in that area between 1984 and 1995, though.
I can't see a 1984, but it still looks like they've dicked with that area a long time. I recall a forestry project sign on that road. That road is where I came upon a coyote and he started running in from of me, and did so for 1/4 mile.

Reactions: stiltzkin

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Ah, sorry, by 1984 I mean the one Boyd has labeled "1980s NJ I/R Aerials" - from what I understand they're from '84. Although that may not be true in every single area.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
from what I understand they're from '84. Although that may not be true in every single area.

Where did you get that? To learn the details of any map on my site, just click the Map Info button.

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 8.03.31 AM.png

Here's what it says for the 1980 aerials:

"This imagery was captured during the period 4/3/1981 - 5/13/1987"

You will also find a link to the full metadata there.

Reactions: stiltzkin