Prohibiting outdoor, wood-burning furnaces?

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Through two homes growing up I had a wood burning stove. Some great memories. Mom and Dad still have it and they will not decommision it for this possible reason. It has more than supplemented heat. With an above through the wall fan in the kitchen the circulated hot air did a good job on other rooms! I can fondly remember winter get togethers with Ice storms, freezing temps, snow, etc. and all us inside were sweating and in T-shirts around the kitchen table shairing laughter, food, drink, and good company. Man that was awesome. I consider my family normal blue collar folk, not hicks like I see labelled. above. That site Bob linked is a disgrace and so ignorant.
I'll go you one further, I never grew up without a burnin' barrel in the back yard. Many standarounds, talks, warming in between working on cars, trucks, tractors, during Hog killings, Ham smoking, etc., real social like. Yeah I said it... All Redneck stuff? Whatever. Best of times. Everything went in the burnin' barrell and I mean all. Lots of wood, brush, chikin feathers, furniture, old split rail fencing,
beer cans, drain oil to kick 'er up when needed, everything. When that drum was glowing red, anything burned. You laid your glove on the rim for a sec to warm them up (30 seconds too long and the gloves went in too), you leaned up on it a bit in your coveralls to heat 'em up, we burned rags, lit cigars, and faggs off it, used the heat to heat up metal that needed to be fit to equipment hot, man... so many things. dead varmint, shingles, lions and tigers and bears ohhhh myyy!
Once the barrell was beat it went to the scrap pile and a new 55 gal drum could always be had and cut even if we used the one we used to test run boat motors in. We would sometimes lay a grate over cut from the side of a shopping cart and cook hotdogs, roast peanuts, rabbit, squirrel, and yeah once the oil slick from the boat motor burned off they didn't taste so bad. I ain't needin to lable myself a Redneck or a Piney, just from folk that lived what we lived, not the jacked up people in the "real world".
Hell, that thing pictured above is hi tech for our tastes way back when. Might well be a solar power collector.
I'd watch glowing embers float all around and whisper away and it was so beautiful, especially in a wind. I wouldn't trade any of those memories and hundreds more for what people consider "proper" today. Try that S**t today and see where you end up.
Now I have to put these pissy little fires in my "chiminea" or quietly get a fire ring going (couple large truck rims welded together make a right proper ring!) outback if I dare. Ya'll don't sell LARGO short for bein' old school backwoods. I'll take that over living "ghetto". Thanks for the junket down memory lane. I see a story in this. Peace out brothers and sisters.

g.

I really enjoyed reading this.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Good story George. I lived in Hampton Lakes in early 1960's, and my stepdad kept one in the backyard. I think he started the great pine barrens fire of 1963. He was throwing dead leaves and pine needles in on top of the milk cartons and cereal boxes, and when those needles hit with their resin load...."Whoosh!"....they were in the next yard in a flash, and soon enough had a crown fire crossing route 70 and heading towards Chatsworth.

Just kidding (sort of).

:D

Bob,
Our barrell sessions were not without their "Wooshes". Cardboard packaging and dry raked up items could really get to crackin'. Ours was out in the pretty open from trees. Chicken feet and hog skins fresh from killing day crackled so elegantly it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. But then, lots of times too close to the barrell brought tears to my eyes back then too. Your story solidifies your family place in Barrens history. Our early days of controlled burns (well, burns anyway) will forever be a small part of our shared moments with our dads. Your stepdad was a pioneer of sorts. I've got a whole 'nother bit of fond moments when we would stay out on the beach fishing all eve' with roaring flames to get the Hibachies going.
We should all get together one eve' and roast Marshmallers. I'd like to see what fuel Al would contribute to the fire.

g.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
So, for example, developers should be able to build their homes anywhere they want without the state telling them not to? I think this is the kind of thing geezer may be hinting at. We are upset when the State tells us what we cannot do, but glad when they prevent somebody else from doing what we don't approve of. I'll confess to being like that myself... it's a bit of a paradox.
How did this go from wood stoves to developers?I happen to like wood stoves and despise developers.I never saw a connection.I would compromise by saying the state has every right to ban some areas from being developed but once they have allowed a house to be built they need to keep their nose out of it.As long as someone isn't destroying or polluting the environment in a way that would harm other people from their property they need to be left alone.If they are burning rubber tires and I have to breathe it then they need to stop.If their burning wood which isn;t toxic and it's warming their house i need to get over it if i don;t like woodsmoke which i do.It's nice of the state to offer tax incentives for property owners to not develop their property,one thing the state does right.Your right it is a paradox.I would say if I'm not physically hurting my neighbors healt or unduly annoying them such as with loud noise then leave me alone.If I am about to harm an endangered species on my property then give me an incentive not to,if I'm an unreasonable SOB which I can be then take me to court and let the judge decide on the merits of just how bad off the species is and just how bad do i need to wipe it's home out.I personally would not knowingly wipeout and endangered species but yes many people would not give a hoot,(pardon the spotted owl pun).

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
How did this go from wood stoves to developers?I happen to like wood stoves and despise developers.

Amen to that brother.

So back to stovage.
Our in home wood stove was always fired with proper wood and paper if we wished. Never foreign materials. I agree fine sir, toxic nastiness like tires is a little over the top. Honestly anything we may have had close which was dang nil... those barrell fires was so hot many items vaporized beyond harm on contact. You knew what not to breath in and share with the neighbors. (For what there were of them) Loud noise is inconsiderate and SOB labels are open to interpretation. One man's SOB is another man's ally.

g.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
A little bird told me that soon there will be a total outlaw on New wood burning stoves.Old ones grandfathered In. EPA is shooting them down for good.
You mean all indoor wood stoves in the country? I definately dont see that ever occuring. The EPA works with a panel of other experts, including stove manufactoring companies, and actually promotes the entire industry so long as their agency approves the stoves. A change like that would take years to even come close to reaching and would have Americans up in arms. Heres some good EPA info: http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/

Im sorry if I read your post wrong and you meant wood boilers. Also, most retailers no longer carry the older type of stoves in a store. They must be the newer EPA approved models (craigslist and ebay are a diff story). Perhaps this is what you were referencing. The newer models have either a cat. converter or burn tubes to burn most of the emissions coming from the fuel, including the smoke, for a more efficient heat. When our stoves running, theres absolutely nothing coming out the chimney, except maybe when starting a fire or reloading, and then the smokes only there for a couple minutes. I would think burning oil would be worse, but Im no expert.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
You mean all indoor wood stoves in the country? I definately dont see that ever occuring. The EPA works with a panel of other experts, including stove manufactoring companies, and actually promotes the entire industry so long as their agency approves the stoves. A change like that would take years to even come close to reaching and would have Americans up in arms. Heres some good EPA info: http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/

Im sorry if I read your post wrong and you meant wood boilers. Also, most retailers no longer carry the older type of stoves in a store. They must be the newer EPA approved models (craigslist and ebay are a diff story). Perhaps this is what you were referencing. The newer models have either a cat. converter or burn tubes to burn most of the emissions coming from the fuel, including the smoke, for a more efficient heat. When our stoves running, theres absolutely nothing coming out the chimney, except maybe when starting a fire or reloading, and then the smokes only there for a couple minutes. I would think burning oil would be worse, but Im no expert.
Thanks Mike for that Info.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
How did this go from wood stoves to developers?

You said you didn't like the state telling you "what you can do,when you can do it,where you can do it and what you can do with it." My point was that it's necessary for the state to "tell you what you can do" sometimes, or we would have anarchy.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My point was that it's necessary for the state to "tell you what you can do" sometimes, or we would have anarchy.

But if it goes too far, it becomes dictatorial. Like when a president, who was a constitutional law professor, says the law body charged with determining what should/should not be the law of the land doesn't really have that authority.

To this issue of woodburners, according to the info presented here, the local govt received one complaint and made a decision affecting all based upon that complaint.

It all depends upon whom we place in those decision making offices; be it local, state or federal. IMO, not enough folks take this process seriously enough.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Not exactly what we're discussing, but we have a friend in the Seattle area and I know that both Oregon and Washington state often have bans on all wood burning stoves if the air quality is poor. I think this is just in the cities and their burbs and usually only lasts a few days or a week. Not sure if these bans would include people whose sole source of heat is wood, but i'd like to believe they'd be excluded. This just got me thinking of air quality and pollutants around here.. you'd think Jersey would have bans like that too. Glad we don't, I never want to pay another propane bill again.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
How did this go from woodstoves to Obama? :D

O.K.,
I'll try again...
Speaking of woodburning stoves, we used to always keep a teapot on the top and it made for a darned fined dehumidier till to booger got hot enough to whistle. Then my mom just went to a pot on top. Always had a couple towels on a rack off to the side. Nothing like a warm towel in the kitchen for after washing hands and such. Theirs is so old the Isinglass long long ago rotted away and some tin foil with hi-heat tape does the trick today. I always found the stove good for burning documents and such that maybe you didn't want in the trash. That was before we got a shredder. My mom occasionally still has to replace blinds near that wall that just warp and droop over time. Still remembering the old days.
But a little talk of anarchy and dictatorship never killed anyone right? Well, then again.
Peace out, again.
g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I officially give up.
Too danged warm out today to discuss woodstoves anyhoo. Ya'll enjoy this blessed afternoon.
I'm goin' for a walk.
As Salamu Alaykum my brothers and sisters.

g.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Too danged warm out today to discuss woodstoves anyhoo.

OK, back on topic. This recent weather is a bit of a nuisance when you heat with wood like me. It's a little too cold in the house in the morning, maybe 60 degrees. And it can be hard to build just a little fire to warm things up without either making it too hot or having the fire just smolder. I have a cast iron stove, so you have to get a good fire going before it's even warm to the touch.

Not complaining too much though, I have barely burned half as much wood as usual this season. And the surprising thing is, I'm home all the time now, unlike winters past when I worked in Philadelphia and was out of the house for 12 hours a day. I've got a cord of wood left on the porch that needs moving to make room for the summer furniture.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
The Lower Township Planning Board is asking the local environmental commission for help before making recommendations to regulate wood-burning furnaces.
The furnaces, which are typically located outside homes and use firewood to heat water that is then pumped into the home, have been a point of controversy here.

Township Council had banned the boilers earlier this year but a group of residents filed a petition to overturn the ban. Though the petition was ruled invalid, Council decided to ask the Planning Board, which had originally recommended the ban, to come up with regulations allowing the boilers but establishing which zones they can be in while coming up with minimum lot size and setback requirements.
The Planning Board began delving into solutions Thursday night, board, but after after hearing more than one hour of testimony, decided to seek the help of the environmental commission.
One resident proposed one acre with a 50-foot setback to be able to run an outdoor wood-burning boiler. Another suggested five acres with a 1,000-foot setback.
“We’d like five acres and 500 foot from the property line and 1,000 feet from the nearest home to the boiler,” said Diane Morton of South Andrielle Lane in Erma, a neighborhood that has been fighting a man who installed a boiler.
Planning Director William Galestok did some calculations that seemed to rule out a 1,000 foot setback.
“With a 1,000 foot setback you’d need 92 acres. I don’t think there are any 92-acre lots here,” Galestok said.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_eb3a69d0-8b45-11e1-b7fb-0019bb2963f4.html