Property Stones And More... Fall 2022/ Winter Spring 2023

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Traveled to the Ancora/ Blue Anchor area today looking for property corners for an exception to the Atsion Tract. We were almost along the White Horse Pike just south of Pestletown.

P2080015.jpg

We found a Wharton monument at the green arrow.

IMG_7648a.jpg

And the other corner had a concrete and stone "stone." Looks like it was semi recently surveyed.

IMG_7652a.jpg

Plenty of ticks today. Everyone needs to start being careful.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We visited a recent burn in Greenwood this morning. Had some unfinished business finding property stones and were looking for two more. On the way to find one we revisited one of the Webb stones. The last time we were there we could not see the ground well and only the large stone was in view. Today, I noticed a second one on the ground next to it. However, Jessica realized it was the chunk that had broken off sometime in the distant past. The arrow is pointing to it.

IMG_7669a.jpg

I put it back on and it fit like a glove :)

IMG_7671a.jpg

The burn was on March 20th and 6 days later and all of that rain, one log was still burning.

IMG_7675a.jpg

Within less than 5 minutes we had conversations with the occupants of two separate vehicles on the main road. One had an ATV in the back and they were inpatient with me. I told them their vehicle may be impounded if they drove around Greenwood. I believe they eventually turned into Lebanon so that warning went unheeded I suspect. They had out of state tags and were just looking for a place to drop off.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Someone I know texted me and told me about a monument someone they know found in a recently burned area of Lebanon. I have a 1926 map of Lebanon showing property owners and lines and this location is a mystery to me. The property was fully owned by Reeves and he sold it to the state. So I am mystified on what this was for.

IMG_7692a.jpg

Last week Bob told me about two late depressions he saw on lidar and I told him I would go an check it out. Unfortuanly, I forgot to put the cords in my GPS so when I arrived there I had to call him and ask for them.

We quickly found the depressions and I am uncertain what they were for. In any event, there were some things in them that could give us a possible idea what they were. All would be guesses. There are some home made bricks in them but only in one area.

IMG_7702a.jpg

A terracotta pipe.

IMG_7697a.jpg

And bottles. There were many multiple bottles of Karo syrup bottles. That company started around 1909.

IMG_7703a.jpg

Also found this one but have no idea what was in it.

IMG_7705a.jpg

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Bricks, depressions in the ground, pieces of pipe, bottles of corn syrup...

Not sure if this is near a source of water, but perhaps a moonshine still? I think corn syrup can be used to boost the fructose content of a mash before fermentation.

Really just a wild guess, but that would be interesting.

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is right next to water and there even has been a dike made to direct the water towards the location. I thought it was odd that the dike was there because it took the water away from where I felt it was needed.

I wish I had taken photos of the dike and water area.

Reactions: stiltzkin and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see no evidence on older aerials that something was dug there. So I would say it was before 1931.

There was also some sort of old bucket there and someone had most likely moved it since the leaves fell in the fall. There was a round circle clearly showing where it had been moved from.

IMG_7696a.jpg

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I am certainly not an expert on antique glass, either, but here is some potentially interesting information about the Karo bottle you found.

The "diamond and oval with I inside" mark on the bottom would indicate that it was made by the Owens-Illinois Glass Company. This logo was in use from 1929 - 1966, although more realistically, most bottles with this logo date from 1930 - 1954. Bottles outside that range with this logo seem to be fairly rare.

The 9 to the left of the logo could mean that it was made in the Streator, Illinois factory. The 8 to the right of the logo should be a date code, since this is not a liquor bottle. Bottles with single-digit date codes that also include a "Duraglas" mark are from 1940 or later. Bottles with two digit date codes are typically from the late 1940s or later. Since you have a single digit date code and no "Duraglas," it could indicate that this bottle was made in 1938.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Bricks, depressions in the ground, pieces of pipe, bottles of corn syrup...

Not sure if this is near a source of water, but perhaps a moonshine still? I think corn syrup can be used to boost the fructose content of a mash before fermentation.

Really just a wild guess, but that would be interesting.
That was my first thought when I was reading this post too. Maybe making Southern Whiskey.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is a stone on the western edge of the meadows along the Alquatka Branch that I have been meaning to look for and today was the day I decided to do just that. I had been almost to the location years ago with Manumuskin but at the time we did not know about the stone. It is 15 chains and 29 links (1009 feet) across the meadow from a large stone on the eastern side of the meadow. In 1888 there was a post at this location but all susequent deeds mention a stone.

This is the 1888 deed showing a post. Line 17.

1888.jpg

Access to it is difficult and we began our day entering along the power lines at Atco Dragway.

IMG_7716a.jpg

We followed the same route that manumuskin and I followed the last time and were able to make it close to the meadow fairly easily. Hunters had set up a site along the route for their tent.

IMG_7718a.jpg

The very edge of the meadow was still easy to walk.

IMG_7720a.jpg

But when we arrived at the location I calculated the stone to be at we were treated with a washed out mess where stones disappear under the ground as the dirt around them wash away. We found nothing. Imagine being the chain bearer in 1883 having to pull a chain straight across the meadow and get the distance correct.

IMG_7723a.jpg

In 2014 when manumuskin and myself visited the area we found this shovel.

IMG_4102a.jpg

Today, it has climbed a tree.

IMG_7727a.jpg

The way home.

IMG_7728a.jpg

And after two and a half hours of constant walking and a little over 4 miles, the morning was over.

IMG_7733a.jpg

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All along the stones on the power lines they have placed coir logs made from coconut to manage changes in stream flow and stabilizing the water line along the edges of the road.

IMG_7732a.jpg

Reactions: stiltzkin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There is a stone on the western edge of the meadows along the Alquatka Branch that I have been meaning to look for and today was the day I decided to do just that. I had been almost to the location years ago with Manumuskin but at the time we did not know about the stone. It is 15 chains and 29 links (1009 feet) across the meadow from a large stone on the eastern side of the meadow. In 1888 there was a post at this location but all susequent deeds mention a stone.

This is the 1888 deed showing a post. Line 17.

View attachment 19702

Access to it is difficult and we began our day entering along the power lines at Atco Dragway.

View attachment 19703

We followed the same route that manumuskin and I followed the last time and were able to make it close to the meadow fairly easily. Hunters had set up a site along the route for their tent.

View attachment 19704

The very edge of the meadow was still easy to walk.

View attachment 19705

But when we arrived at the location I calculated the stone to be at we were treated with a washed out mess where stones disappear under the ground as the dirt around them wash away. We found nothing. Imagine being the chain bearer in 1883 having to pull a chain straight across the meadow and get the distance correct.

View attachment 19706

In 2014 when manumuskin and myself visited the area we found this shovel.

View attachment 19707

Today, it has climbed a tree.

View attachment 19708

The way home.

View attachment 19709

And after two and a half hours of constant walking and a little over 4 miles, the morning was over.

View attachment 19710
I remember going there at least twice.catching a black rat snake there and crossing the Branch from the north one time and almost succumbing to heat exhaustion. I think that was the first tri[p we took there,the second was up the power line. Both times i remember that area being remorseless once you stepped out of the meadow.

Reactions: Teegate