Purchase A & B Stone, and a Canal

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Guy, that is the canal we've been discussing, right? The article makes it sound like Richards dug other ditches by which flow was increased to the Forge Pond. Am I missing something?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very interesting! Great observations Guy. Unfortunitely I could not access the photo links in the first post of this thread. I seem to be the only one experiencing this problem though. Count me in on a hike or kayak to the canal.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, that is the canal we've been discussing, right? The article makes it sound like Richards dug other ditches by which flow was increased to the Forge Pond. Am I missing something?

Well, maybe there are other ditches coming off the river. If you look at the last photo just above this post, notice something coming from the river to the main ditch I have marked. Maybe he had several of these.

Jeff .. if you are referring to the first post of mine, yes the links do not work. They were from the old gallery before I starting uploading to the new gallery I use. I deleted some of them and many of the links now fail to work.

Maybe we can shoot for a Sunday in November? Saturdays are out because there are hunters all over that area as Jessica and I found out when we were there.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We need to hike that complete canal. I bet we could find some interesting places.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Today a few of us returned to the location of the canal and spent a little more time looking around. We bushwhacked across from West Mill Road and crossed the same tree Jessica and I did on our last visit. Here is Jessica crossing today with Bob looking on.

IMG_0351.JPG

If you have not kept up on the historical importance of this canal, here is a brief explanation. At this location along the Nescochague River both Joseph Wharton and Augustus H. Richards owned property. Richards family as you may or may not know were owners of Batsto in the past. Richards property did not quite make it to a little island in the river where he wanted to divert a portion of the river to increase the amount of water for his cranberry bog operations. In order to do this he acquired a small strip of land from Joseph Wharton on May 20, 1876, which enabled him to build the canal in the later months of that year, and divert the water to his property.

To build the dam he carted the remains of a glass-works and dumped them into the river, effectively blocking it off and forcing the water into his canal. The problem with this is it stopped the flow of water to a mill down stream at Pleasant Mills. The owner William E. Farrell investigated why this had occurred and brought a lawsuit against Richards to remove the dam. It is interesting to note that in 1876 according to John Pierce on page 71 in “Heart of the Pines”, the glass works at Batsto were abandoned and decaying. Could the remains Richards used to build this dam have been from the Batsto glass-works? And Wharton had to have known that his selling of the strip of land in question, and Richards damming of it, would have caused trouble downstream.

In the 1950’s when the state purchased Wharton’s property, the state must not have had clear title to this small portion of land (0.2781 acres), so they placed survey monuments on all the corners. Today, Jessica found one while pushing her walking stick into the ground while we were milling around.

This one is unlike any I have viewed before. It was the 4th one placed in Hammonton Township, and we have decided that the 37 C means it is 37 feet from the center of the river.

IMG_0348.JPG

Gabe (Pinelandpaddler) reached into the water and found a piece of glass obviously from the glass-works mentioned above. Here is a slightly blurry photo of Jessica holding it, and a photo of the remains of the glass-works building.

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

It is interesting to note that presiding judge at the trial wrote this: “The defendant (Richards) should be restrained from diverting this water and maintaining the dam. There will be injunctions accordingly”.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Today a few of us returned to the location of the canal and spent a little more time looking around. We bushwhacked across from West Mill Road and crossed the same tree Jessica and I did on our last visit.

Guy

Nice find and great pics Guy.

Jim

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I had a great time yesterday.
All of us learned quite a bit about a remote area of the pines that has a very significant history with regard to modern riparian laws.
It was impressive to me to walk through a piece of woods, across a savannah, through a cedar swamp and then arrive at a branch of the Nescocgague marked by signs of manmade intrusions.
The non-native rubble used to construct the dam was obviously hauled there and deposited in the stream to create the diversion into the manmade canal.
I always wonder about the laborers and the monumental tasks involved to accomplish things like this before modern machinery was available.
Here is a piece of a structure that was used as fill for the dam or might have been part of the dam itself. It is flat on the bottom and consists of sandstone and a portland cement/sand mix.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/6947/ppuser/177

Here is the throttled down section of the creek adlacent to the canal entrance.
You could hear the water rushing from about 50 yards away.
Our humble website owner and Pine Barrens Explorer Ben Ruset can be seen pondering the rush of water (or possibly stabbing a frog with his walking stick) while Guy and Jess plot the next move.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/6946/ppuser/177

Finally, a view of the Nescochague that Augustus Richards had no doubt enjoyed over a hundred years ago.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showphoto.php/photo/6945/ppuser/177

An educational day in the big woods complete with a formal tailgate cocktail reception at the end.
Thanks Guy and everyone for another winner.
Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good trip Guy, thanks for setting it up.

Site of the Mill. Notice the cleared ground (no underbrush) in the background. Probably from years of industrial use and Paradise Lake Campers.

watermark.php

A lowland exploring area. Plenty of briar at the start.

watermark.php

Ben out enjoying the day.

watermark.php

Laurel leaf greenbriar. Our least abundant green briar. Very lovely.

watermark.php

Another shot of the area where the defendant damned the stream.

watermark.php

I had walked upstream a bit while the others were talking. They did not get to see this remote spot. Nice place to while away a summer day in the future.

watermark.php

Oh, the dreaded crossing on the way back. Scott and Gabe have the right, sensible idea.

watermark.php

Then Ben decides to be brave at first.

watermark.php

But he is oh so quickly humbled. “I dropped a quarter” he said.

watermark.php

So Guy decides to show how a pro does it. Starts walking across like he owns the place.

watermark.php

But oh no! Guy goes down! Is he hurt? His leg sure is slowing down that water some.

watermark.php

And now, Guy is humbled. Wait….what’s this? Is Ben clapping? While Guy looks chagrined?

watermark.php

The Savanna Man of Nesco Land

watermark.php

Gabe in the lovely savanna which had many plants and I will explore it some more next spring and fall. Very nice day Guy, thanks. Good fun at the tailgate party too! Thanks for the eats and drink again Scott!

watermark.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob did not mention that he took so many photo's his camera was actually smoking. :D

It was certainly nice to have all of you along. Always enjoyable.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Bob, nice shot of Guy saving face! I really was impressed with your recovery, Guy.

Oh, and, Bob, thanks for keeping that beautiful stretch of stream all to yourself.:jeffd:

:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob, nice shot of Guy saving face! I really was impressed with your recovery, Guy.

Oh, and, Bob, thanks for keeping that beautiful stretch of stream all to yourself.:jeffd:

:)

My chin took the brunt of it. It is sore today.

Bob did ask us to go there to see that spot, but we were all busy talking and forgot about it.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Recently, I acquired quite a bit of new information on the Augustus Richards Dam mentioned in this thread, and I am in the process of coming up with a small article for Ben to add to the front page. Today, Jessica and I revisited the location to get some of the facts straight in my head. Some of the info I mentioned above appears to be incorrect. So give me some time and I will be letting you know what I have found. In the interim here are a few tidbits you may be interested in.

IMG_2881.JPG

As you may have read above, the remains of a glass factory was used to make the dam, and again today we found pieces of glass. Click the photo when it opens to see it larger.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/08162009/IMG_2894a.jpg

And a video of a piece of the wooden dam I found hidden under rocks in the stream. It is about 35MB so give it time to load. Turn up your volume to hear me. BTW that is my GPS in my shirt on my back.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/08162009/Richards_Canal.mov

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Great going, Guy. This location offers a great one-two punch (history and natural beauty); I can't wait to read the article you compose for the front page. It's a shame the video files are so large. I could take an hour of that dam -- it's so beautiful and peaceful.

Guess I'll just have to plow my way back. :)