purchasing pets

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
snakehunter7 said:
can you buy a native species online if its captive bred, is that legal or is it illegal to buy native species online, even captive bred

thanks

You can as long as you can show proof that it was not wild caught. The state will want to know the source of the animal.

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
you can get an animal off the internet from a site like kingsnake.com. but i believe that some dealers will not ship an animal to a state where that species is native to. also it is illegal to ship reptiles through usps. i also think that ups will not ship either and fedex will not ship reptiles for new clients but will for customers that have been doing so from before. i think the only way you can legally ship reptiles now is through dhl overnight. to really understand the legality of the whole reptile shipping and keeping laws i think you have to be a lawyer. i tried to make sense of it and i can't. to get a permit to keep a reptile in nj is a hassle. in a pet store in delaware in the reptile section they had a sign posted stating that it is easier to get a gun permit than reptile permit. so to answer snakehunter7's question can you buy a native species off of the internet yes you can but you will have to find a person that will ship a native nj species to nj. someone on kingsnake was selling northern redbelly hatchlings from some adult red bellies that he said he caught in chatsworth in the 70's.