quaker bridge tavern ?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Excellant information Jersyman. Thanks for putting this together. I never heard that about Pursh. It sounds plausible.

Further down in your post, when stopping at the hotel(s), the girl indicated that... "I got out of the wagon and was shown into the sitting room of the hotel where there was a blazing roaring fire of pitch pine knots". I always suspected those would burn good and hot. I can pick up dozens in the pines, but I never tried it yet. I will some day.

You bring history to the forefront and into the present for us to enjoy. Thank you my friend.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank for all the info Jerseyman!

It appears the tavern at Mount was moved across the road between 1849 when my map was made and 1858 when yours was :D

Or maybe the straightened the road during those years.

IMG_8573.JPG

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
judging by jerseymans closeup map I'd saw I was at the richards cellar hole and the one south of it.never looked west of the road for the hotel.perhaps there is another cellar hole over there?
Al

Thank for all the info Jerseyman!

It appears the tavern at Mount was moved across the road between 1849 when my map was made and 1858 when yours was :D

Or maybe the straightened the road during those years.

Guy

I can’t account for the differences between the two maps; it seems obvious to me that one of the cartographer’s did a poor job of labeling! An examination of the cellar holes for size should determine on which side of the road the hotel stood. Perhaps Manumuskin Al can shed some light on this matter!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You know what, I think your map is rotated and it is correct.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Excellant information Jersyman. Thanks for putting this together. I never heard that about Pursh. It sounds plausible.

Further down in your post, when stopping at the hotel(s), the girl indicated that... "I got out of the wagon and was shown into the sitting room of the hotel where there was a blazing roaring fire of pitch pine knots". I always suspected those would burn good and hot. I can pick up dozens in the pines, but I never tried it yet. I will some day.

Some time ago, under your suggestion when we were hiking through the "desert", I did try burning a great big, dry, pine knot to see the result. Burnt very well, really flamed up. free of sap I don't think there was much creosote to be concerned with. It seemed to burn hot, but I doubt it could compete with oak. Makes for a nice fire.

Jeff

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Amazing research, Jerseyman! Much thanks to you for writing that up and sharing it with us.

Writing about Quaker Bridge, many historians suggest the reason the Friends constructed the bridge was to eliminate the numerous drowning that occurred there in the past while fording the stream. A careful read of the historical record, however, strongly suggests that these chroniclers confused and conflated stories about the Swimming Over location on the Mullica near Leeds Point with the site of Quaker Bridge.

Ah-ha!
I always wondered how the Batsto River could have claimed so many lives. Never made much sense to me.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Amazing research Jerseyman, thanks! Refencing Guy's link, the cellar hole there is where I took those pictures of the damage (bricks turned up). I haven't been over there lately though, so I don't know what condition it's in now.

Not visible on the Bing Map, across "Washington Road" is another smaller cellar hole (outbuilding?) and a stone-lined well.