Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Last edited:

ARMSTRONG

Mar 22, 2015
Tabernacle, NJ
I had my full size pickup. 2 smaller pickups. A wagoneer. 2 Cherokees and a Wrangler with a trailer. Spent most of the day on the flats. We were full when we left. I think it's common knowledge that there is still alot of active partying there. You photo with party fire proves that. I think it would not take long to generate a new crop of beer cans

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am not saying there is not trash in the woods, I am just saying where I walked the roads were clear of trash. I walked the complete outer perimeter from the bridge back to the bridge. I wasn't looking for trash or I may have found some.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
That perimeter was bulldozed by our friends in the FFS in 1999. Just saying who created it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you read the PPA guidelines they mention the FFS should close off roads they make and I actually agree with that. If they blaze a road for a fire they should close it off when done.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
If you read the PPA guidelines they mention the FFS should close off roads they make and I actually agree with that. If they blaze a road for a fire they should close it off when done.

I'm a big suporter of this. It is done out west everywhere. The best part is it can be included in the cost of fighting the fire and wouldn't affect the annual budget for the most part.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
But they don't!!!! And now we live with it. I never saw It done.

I know. I can't explain why. I've been out west with many FFS personnel in NJ with some being in Trenton now. I've spent weeks rehabbing fires that have been out for weeks out west. Here once it's out we walk away. It's kind of like doing a job and not cleaning up after yourself. I can't explain it except saying that's the way it's always been done. Also that's why we have roads named Batsto Fire Line Rd, Push Line Rd, Fire Rd and the list could keep going.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I went again today to look for a few locations to match up with photos I took in 2010. My printer was out of ink so I put the photos on my iPad but that is useless in the sun. So I had to just take photos and hope for the best.

Vegetation growing in nicely.

IMG_1339d.jpg

A little far away but close enough.

IMG_1350b.jpg

Someone can tell us this bird.

IMG_1342a.jpg

What we need now is for the volunteers to remove all of the recently placed "No Motor Vehicle" signs and place them at Quarter Mile. It is hard to imagine they have them where they are and there is nothing at Quarter Mile. Most of the paper signs have been ripped off and even the wooden signs they placed there are now destroyed and hidden from view.

IMG_1353a.jpg

It is hard to imagine the amount of effort that has been going on lately to keep us off basic roads we pay taxes on. But Quarter Mile which is the place that started it all is just one heavy rain and a little cooler weather away from disaster. The thought of road closures elsewhere is unfathomable while this area is apparently not checked and protected properly so that the strides that nature is making are not for naught.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
"Someone can tell us this bird."

Looks like a Willet. The southward migration is starting this month, might be a forward scout ;)

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Thanks Guy, I really like what I see. I don't know what to think. With some transparency everyone here could be working together with the PPA. With these sweeping closures I hope it doesn't hurt the years of work that helped 1/4 mile start to turn around. I have already witnessed tracks going around road closed signs and I know people still go to 1/4 mile. I would rather do a small job well then do a large job half a$&ed.

Last edited: