Question About a Few Local Trails

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hi Folks,

I am planning on exploring a few places in the pines that I've not yet been to, and was going to bring a few folks with me. I was planning on checking out the Mt. Misery trail. Would anyone be kind enough to give some background on the trail as far as whether it's excessively muddy/wet, or if it is overgrown or blown down? Also, I've read that people have gotten lost, is it an easy trail to follow? I have been on the Batona and Cranberry trails in Brendan Byrne, but not Mt. Misery yet.

We also looked at the yellow trail at FPP, and the Batona from Ong's Hat to Deep Hollow Pond. Does anyone have any comments on these trails as well, especially warnings about confusing points/tips for navigating?

Thanks so much for any background on the trails, it is very much appreciated.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We hiked the batona Trail from Ong's Hat to the Fire Tower this Feb 10th in sneakers. It was dry. It was 4.9 miles long
Acording to my GPS track, your hike to Deep Hollow pond would be 3.5 miles.
We checked out the Mt Misery Trail at Packim Pond and it is wet, especially now. I would wear knee highs.
As for Parker, there are many nice ways to put a hike together. There are connector trails between the main ones that allow custom hikes.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hi Folks,

Thanks so much for the responses!

ECampbell, we were going to start at Pakim Pond. We were talking about doing it this weekend-and we don't have knee highs! Should we switch to another trail? Don't want the folks going with us to be too miserable. Are there wet areas in other parts of the trail, or just near Pakim Pond?

Also, the area at South Gate, that's where the yellow trail begins, yes?

Boyd, that's some great technology. I got it to work, and there are some interesting photos on there. Thank you!

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I don't know, I never hiked ths MM trail. I was hoping you would write a report on it. :) I don't think it is used much. Do you know how long the loop is?
The yellow trail is all over the place. Southgate would be a good place to start.
Parker Map.
http://www.njconservation.org/documents/FPP_trails_color.pdf

I'd be happy to write the report on it. The entire trail is 8.5 miles long. Going from Pakim Pond as a starting point, it would be more like 9.5 miles. I was going to cut off a few miles by taking the orange bike trail when MM intersects it, and then getting back on MM when it intersects again. So the entire thing would be approximately 7.5 miles, if my ruler and pencil method serves me correctly.

I've been told that there are some beautiful areas back there, I am chomping at the bit to go, but I do want to be prepared for the trail conditions.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Boyd, that's some great technology. I got it to work, and there are some interesting photos on there. Thank you!

Thanks - but I don't understand what "technology and photos" you're talking about. The link I posted is where you can download a map for Garmin GPS'es or use on your computer.

I have taken the Mount Misery trail and enjoyed it, but don't remember anything special about it. Has been quite awhile though. Lebanon is a great place to go for a hike. Lots of trails and small roads, but you will certainly hit some wet spots. That's where it helps to have a GPS, so you can modify your route as conditions dictate. :)

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hey Boyd,

There was a link on the bottom that read 'download Garmin custom map'. I got a zip file that allowed me to zoom in on Brendan Byrne, and there were boxes that I could click on to view photos of the trails at that point. Did I hit the wrong button?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek