Question about Direction of Waterflow

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
Just a quick question... Im planning a kayaking trip this weekend with my brother. Were gonna either be starting or ending in the bay of Manahawkin, depending which way the current is moving. Do the streams/rivers connected to the bay (on the west side) lead to the bay or away from it? Thanks!!

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I would assume those streams are tidal some way back from the bay itself. Without referring to charts or a coast pilot I can't say for sure. If so then you would be more interested in ebb and flood tides. Otherwise I am sure they empty into the bay as a matter of general flow.

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
wow, thank you all!! I wish it could be simple and go in the same direction all the time.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I used to curse the tide or winds back when I paddled the marsh or tidal waters in my canoe, but I haven't found them as much of a problem since I bought my kayak. Unless you have one of the shorter river-type boats, most kayaks buck the wind and tide fairly well. I've even paddled long stretches upstream on many of the pine barrens rivers with mine with no problem.

Also, the further you are from the nearest inlet, the less problems the tides will give you. You will hardley notice a tidal flow on the tidal portion of the Wading River, but on Little Sheepshead Creek, close to the inlet, it will move you along quite swiftly.