Question about the Shaler Grave

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I recently revisited the Shaler Grave. I've read about it but can't find anything about the concrete thing next to it. Anyone know what it is? Someone told me stables but I highly doubt it; it looks newer anyway.

Pics are here.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Stu said:
I recently revisited the Shaler Grave. I've read about it but can't find anything about the concrete thing next to it. Anyone know what it is? Someone told me stables but I highly doubt it; it looks newer anyway.

Pics are here.

I dream of catching a spray-paint vandalizer in the act and giving him an enormous wedgie and smacking him on the back of the head at the same time.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I'm still really upset about what happened there. The guy who lived there just a few years ago was nice; even let my friend poke around and take a few pictures. Not sure what happened to him.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ok, that gets me pissed.

Back when I was younger, and in to the things that WNJ would write about, I would have never dreamed of taking a can of spraypaint with me. What makes people want to break stuff and spray graphitti all over?

It's just like Ace Campground. Three years ago it was pristine. Now it's been raided and there's graphitti on some of the buildings.

It's because of people like this that the things that we go out to see in the Pines will be gone in 20 years. People are much, much, much less considerate than they were in previous years.

Roostriz

Scout
Feb 16, 2005
Egg Harbor
Yeah it stinks about all the graffitti. I can tell you having lived about a mile from the shaler grave that I think alot of it has to do with the people who have moved into the area over the past few years. I watched my neigborhood go from a nice middle class area with friendly people to a place I wouldn't want my kids to go out and play around. The only thing that saved us longer than many of the other streets was the guy in the Pagens down the street who threatened to kill the drug dealers when they would come around. After he left everything quickly went down hill.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
The spraypaint is obviously from the stories attached to the place.....supposed to have been a 'satanic church', which anyone with an IQ of 15 would have known was not true. I guess after the old man left, kids decided since it wasn't one, they'd make it look like one.

On the same topic, here's a pic from Mt. Misery about 2 months ago.....

mtmis.jpg

*sigh*

I have to agree with Bruset on this one; I never had the urge to go somewhere and wreck it. I've always been interested in out of the way and little known places, and I simply can't understand the mentality of people who ruin them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stu said:
On the same topic, here's a pic from Mt. Misery about 2 months ago.....

mtmis.jpg

That is the South Branch of the Mount Misery Brook. Ben has posted a photo of it before. It is an interesting stream and it has some nice swamps to explore in.

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
That's not the grave that's been broken, is it? I don''t remember if it was inside a cinder block shelter like that. There is a res development going up near the Yellow Meeting House near Cream Ridge and there have also been huge development sput up all around the Topenhemus graveyard. I know that the kids will be a threat to the safety of these things. It's also disturbing to realize that whenI was akid I did not understand the importance of these things and may been capable of similar activity, although I don't think I would have harmed historical sites.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
This same question bothered the crap out of me, but a few years ago I drove past an identical structure down by Rowan. It was used to hold piles of mulch, gravel, and dirt, a different one in each section.

Ten years too late for this conversation, whoops.

My buddy thought as much when we discussed this recently. I wonder how old it is and who built it. I'm told there was a CCC camp thereabouts.