Question on canoeing the Oswego

aplyons

Aug 20, 2009
Now that we have the benefit of reading the depth gauges on line, can anyone say what would be the range of depth one would need to canoe the Oswego without a lot of portage, running aground, etc.? I'd like to run it with young kids (9-12 yrs old) but don't want to beat em up too much, eh?:cry:

aplyons

Aug 20, 2009
thanks Jeff

Appreciate the quick and specific reply Jeff. Based on your guidance, I'm encouraged to give it a try. Andy

Watch it daily as the Bogs can lower the flow fairly quickly if they start holding for frost in the reservoirs. This time of year you can have frost in the bogs at night,(due to evaporative cooling and low areas), when the surrounding areas are in the 50's. Just something to keep in mind. Enjoy your trip!

subkron

Nov 5, 2008
the water level on the upstream side of the Harrisville spillway should be over 3'10". Have fun

Jeff

Did you mean to say it should be over 3'10", or actually 3.10'? The water gauge reading depicted in feet (todays reading is 3.03') on the USGS site. If you meant 3'10" then the water gauge reading would need to be 3.83 or greater.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Did you mean to say it should be over 3'10", or actually 3.10'? The water gauge reading depicted in feet (todays reading is 3.03') on the USGS site. If you meant 3'10" then the water gauge reading would need to be 3.83 or greater.

I actually meant 3.10', not 3'10" as I originally posted. Thanks for noticing this. This is a rule of thumb, it could be done lower but to play it safe it should be close to 3.10'

Jeff