Question regarding "Calico"

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
It's been about a year since I went out to find Calico. Since then, I've heard so many stories about its true location. From what I understand, barely nothing is left of it. I found what looked like the ruins of a town (my photos are here). First I was told this was Calico, and then I got a few people telling me this isn't it. I'm assuming by the descriptions I've read that this isn't the right place. But does anyone know what this really was then?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That place is too new to be Calico.

Nobody knows where the real town of Calico was. I believe that it was spread out over a decent sized area, and most of the houses were made of wood, which would make locating them difficult if not impossible.

One place that you can visit is the Ellis Adams Farmhouse.

N 39.6777
W 74.4897

Attachments

• map.gif
    map.gif
    78.4 KB · Views: 445

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Well, I once visited an area between Nash's Cabin and Martha, and was told it was Calico. The person I was with was very knowlegable of the area, and seeing the foundations and celler holes with my own eyes...do believe it to be Calico. Those photos you took Stu, are definately not Calico.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Stu said:
So nobody's sure what this group of foundations is then? I wonder if the trashed camper is still there.

The group of foundations that you found, along with the trashed camper are by the big red arrow that says "your photos"

The campers are at those three dots above the white area on the map.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Your foundation have been discussed before, and one of the former members had information on it. He even had maps if I remember correctly. Ben is correct on the location, it is where his arrow is pointing on the map. I will try to look over some info I have and try to help you out on what was posted about your foundations.

Guy

suresue592003 said:
Well, I once visited an area between Nash's Cabin and Martha, and was told it was Calico. The person I was with was very knowlegable of the area, and seeing the foundations and celler holes with my own eyes...do believe it to be Calico. Those photos you took Stu, are definately not Calico.

suresue,
Are you talking about the foundation holes on the right hand side beyond the huge puddles? The foundation holes with corrigated sheet metal and some old doors laying around? I do not believe that is Calico, it is far too new. I think those foundations are associated with a bog operation that was there. When you look at old maps it seems that Calico was nearer the puddles and on the left hand side.

Steve

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I looked at Ben's map. Where it says Calico, is exactly where I was when I was shown the celler holes. There were no doors or sheets of metal there. That trash is proberly where Stu's photos were taken. I do not remember any puddles though.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
suresue592003 said:
I looked at Ben's map. Where it says Calico, is exactly where I was when I was shown the celler holes. There were no doors or sheets of metal there. That trash is proberly where Stu's photos were taken. I do not remember any puddles though.

That's Calico-Warren Grove Road. It's impassible now due to a HUGE puddle, fed by a swamp.

Tom Neigel's Calico Geocache was after that puddle. I doubt anybody goes there except on foot now.

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Somebody give me directions to said puddle. My tires have just over 3 feet of clearance so I say bring it on! I've always wanted to go to Calico.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Ellis Adams

I went to the area that I think was the one illustrated for the Ellis Adams farmhouse. It was late and I briefly looked around but didn't see any foundations. Did I miss it? It was a little driveway with a "culdesac at the end on top of a small hill.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
jokerman said:
I went to the area that I think was the one illustrated for the Ellis Adams farmhouse. It was late and I briefly looked around but didn't see any foundations. Did I miss it? It was a little driveway with a "culdesac at the end on top of a small hill.

It's about 2-300' further down the road from that place.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We have always gone round and round on this subject, but I will go one step further and say that since I believe Ben is correct, it appears that Calico is gone, destroyed by the cranberry growers. Maybe there are remnants in the area, but are they worth it? Some may say yes, I say no.

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Boy, I'm glad I didn't decide to drive through that puddle. I wasn't sure if the by-pass might be worse than the puddle. I found a piece of chain (probably used in dragging someone out of the puddle) and threw it into the puddle and it made a nice "ker plunk" which seemed to let me knw that it wa significantly deep.

I followed this road out, by mistake, and came to the barrier for the Warren Grove Grammar School Bombadiering Base. There appeared to be a recently cleared road that eventually brought me back to the road going to Munion Field. This road was one set of "whoop-de-doos" after another and my "new" Jeep got some nice scratches.

I agree with the last statements regarding Calico. I think the cranberry area had the majority of homes in Calico, since people tend to use the areas that were already cleared just for simplicity's sake. I also think it seems that that general area was a sort of light residential area including the lower road. In Beck's bokk he says that the old guy (Cramer?) who went with him to Calico said there was another house "across the road" from the Adams's house. This house was lived in by a "Mick" who must have been descended from the Micks who were very involved with work at the Martha Furnace.

It still seems strange that the workers at the furnace would live so far away. It would be a long walk from the Calico area to Martha. I wonder if Calico was named for the area in later years in relation to the cranberry farms. I can't remember if a specific reference is made to Calico in relation to Martha Furnace (as an operating Furnace) during the early 1800's.