quicksand

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
has anyone ever encountered real quick sand on their travels..........it is often mentioned in scary stories,but there is very little of the real stuff around........most of the time it is just deep mud.................to be real quicksand,it would have to be very watery,..............the most logical site would be a spot where an artesian spring was coming up through some heavy sand.............quite possible in the pine barrens but i have never heard of such a place............by the way, the harrisville site was supposed to have a genuine artesian spring in its center.........has anyone ever seen that..............i suspect the drop in the water tables over the years may have ended it............all those old folks drinking it....karl

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The Harrisville spring is still there and very much active. It's actually outside the fence.

Regarding quicksand, my mother used to tell me that where she used to live growing up (Brick Township, right on the border of Point Pleasant) there was a ton of it near a creek that bordered their house.

TRA

Aug 10, 2003
Mt. Holly
My girlfriend and I encountered quicksand at a large sandpit pond. We climbed down a large embankment to get a closer look and were walking along the shore. The sandy shore looked slightly damp, similar to when a wave retreats over the sand on it's way back to the ocean. I was closest to the water. All of a sudden my leg went in the sand up to my knee. My girlfriend grabbed me immediately and kept me from falling. Needless to say, we now walk along the high embankment. Tom

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
TRA, HI TRA..........THANKS FOR THE COMPLETION OF THAT STORY..........COULD BE THAT THERE IS SUCH A THING AS QUICKSAND IN THE PINES.........CERTAINLY A SAND PIT WOULD BE A LOGICAL PLACE FOR IT........DANGEROUS TOO............RECOMMEND A RECENT BOOK FILLED WITH HISTORY AND MAPS OF THE PINES.............HEART OF THE PINES, BY JOHN PEARCE.........YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY MAY HAVE IT............PRESS ON,KARL