Rail Machine

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
All,
I figure the "Must See" thread has been somewhat hijacked by rail info.
It of course all has Pine Barrens significance. These images do not. They are photos taken privately by a fellow I know who is quite a rail enthusiast.
The images are from May 1982.
Ever wonder what kind of thing comes along and so uniformly cuts the drainage ruts to the sides of the rails?
Look at what's pushing this thing! Power.It's no joke that it can get the job done. Obviously very effective for pushing snow as well.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/414/medium/HEAVY_IRON.jpg
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/414/medium/FLANGER_or_SPREADER.jpg
I like equipment, design and function certainly does fascinate.
To see it in action is a pleasure. Think about what it takes to dig, push, and displace the material involved.
As far as rail related equipment, I am sure Jerseyman may have some interesting things to share (hint). I myself will share any others given.
I am grateful for this fellow to lend me his personal shots and as always would give proper credit but will respect his privacy and keep him anonymous.

g.

All,
Ever wonder what kind of thing comes along and so uniformly cuts the drainage ruts to the sides of the rails?
Look at what's pushing this thing! Power.It's no joke that it can get the job done. Obviously very effective for pushing snow as well.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/414/medium/HEAVY_IRON.jpg
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/414/medium/FLANGER_or_SPREADER.jpg
As far as rail related equipment, I am sure Jerseyman may have some interesting things to share (hint).
g.

George:

I can certainly take a hint and I thank you for the GREAT Photos. The unit depicted in the photos is a piece of equipment called a Jordan Spreader, named for New York Central Railroad roadmaster Oswald F. Jordan. This unit can clean out and properly profile the berm or grade of a rail line in one pass, pushing all extraneous soil, ballast, and vegetation out beyond the right-of-way to provide drainage of the track. The unit itself cannot move under its own power and requires several locomotives to push it forward along the right-of-way and to supply the compressed air necessary for operating the various appliances attached to the unit.

The “wings” operate by air pressure and can extend to a width of twelve feet on either side. The wedge on the front of the unit allows it to be used for snow plowing in the winter, eliminating the need for the old rotary snow plows. If used during track maintenance, a string of ballast cars precede the Jordan Spreader and the wings of the spreader are used to pack the ballast rock at the proper profile along the right-of-way. A track tamper then comes along to finish the ballasting.

Jordan Spreaders are still in use today, now manufactured by Harsco Track Technologies, successor to the O.F. Jordan Company, first founded in Michigan during 1922.

It is a marvelous piece of rolling technology and I appreciate you sharing these images with everyone!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Only to happy to share.
The pictures are labeled on the back "Jordan Spreader" and "Jordan Flanger".
Being a novice, I did not want to misname it or reference that info improperly. Just the two engines shown pushing it seemed pretty impressive to me.

g.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Wow! That is an awesome piece of machinery. I never knew how they did that. Is that same machine that makes the "whoops" alongside the tracks? Haha, just kidding. Thanks for sharing the pics and letting me learn something new.

The spreaders are cool but so are those Conrail Alcos. A once common workhorse that has all but disappeared.

German:

Yes, the once ubiquitous ALCO RS3 has all but disappeared from Class I railroads, but can often still be seen working on industrial operations, shortlines and tourist railroads. However, do not be fooled by these images taken on the CNJ's Southern Division. While the bodies and trucks are original ALCOs, I can assure you that the prime movers in these units are purely EMDs or there would be more smoke swirling around those units than a oil-fired steam locomotive would generate! :rolleyes:

Most Class I railroads could not wait to have these diesel electrics re-engined due to the poor performance of the original ALCO 244, 12-cylinder 1600 h.p. prime movers. The American Locomotive Works—or ALCO—produced 1544 RS3s for service in the United States between the years 1950 and 1956. Like Baldwin diesel locomotives, with the ALCOs, you filled it up with oil and checked the fuel! For whatever reason, steam locomotive builders had a rough time transitioning into diesel electric production and all are out of modern locomotive production.

On the other hand, EMD, which started with manufacturing internal combustion locomotives, and General Electric, which began its railroad motive power production with electric-powered locomotives, now dominate the domestically produced freight locomotive market.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
George, great pictures. Very impressive looking machines. And, by the way, that's a heck of a name for the spreader spray painted on it. Figures I would point that out.

Paul

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
I love trains.. i've always wanted to go for a ride in the engine of a freight train.. pulling some cars of course, so i could feel it "hook up"...

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
More

Well,
It seems German & Jerseyman like their old Rail Machines so here's a couple more to view from this fellow's private collection. In keeping with Pine Barrens themes my selected mix teeters on Geography at the edge of the Pines.
In this first is an old dog you guys should like on the top and a lonesome little fellow in black & white. Those are taken passing under the Bridge crossing about where the Old White Horse Pike gives way to Spring Garden Road, just North of the old Beebe Stagecoach House. Also, note the Brush Cutter, bottom frame, taken elsewhere. It is certainly much more impressive than a township model. Look at the reach. But.... try to guess why it's a little out of season.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/424/medium/GH_1.jpg
Next, a handsome weed sprayer operation and a cute and familiar little railcar. Don'tcha just want one?
I also included a snowy Albertson Trestle pic similar to the shot Guy gave but from January 17th 1981. (Some "then" for the "now")
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/424/medium/GH_2.jpg
Hope you enjoy.
It is of interest to note that this fellow keeps excellent details in his collection. Each and every photo has on the back the Item/image description or detail, the date taken, and in most the time of day and weather conditions. Cool.
Ahh... Jerseyman, What'cha got for some old rail machines preferrably doing their thing in or around the pines?

(Ben, I'm gonna play stupid here. How come these images enlarge so much in gallery so they can be viewed larger but not in my posts?)

g.

Jello454

May 30, 2004
Piscataway NJ
Well,
It seems German & Jerseyman like their old Rail Machines so here's a couple more to view from this fellow's private collection. In keeping with Pine Barrens themes my selected mix teeters on Geography at the edge of the Pines.
In this first is an old dog you guys should like on the top and a lonesome little fellow in black & white. Those are taken passing under the Bridge crossing about where the Old White Horse Pike gives way to Spring Garden Road, just North of the old Beebe Stagecoach House. Also, note the Brush Cutter, bottom frame, taken elsewhere. It is certainly much more impressive than a township model. Look at the reach. But.... try to guess why it's a little out of season.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/424/medium/GH_1.jpg
Next, a handsome weed sprayer operation and a cute and familiar little railcar. Don'tcha just want one?
I also included a snowy Albertson Trestle pic similar to the shot Guy gave but from January 17th 1981. (Some "then" for the "now")
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/424/medium/GH_2.jpg
Hope you enjoy.
It is of interest to note that this fellow keeps excellent details in his collection. Each and every photo has on the back the Item/image description or detail, the date taken, and in most the time of day and weather conditions. Cool.
Ahh... Jerseyman, What'cha got for some old rail machines preferrably doing their thing in or around the pines?

(Ben, I'm gonna play stupid here. How come these images enlarge so much in gallery so they can be viewed larger but not in my posts?)

g.

LARGO,
Nice pics!!! They are very impressive!!!! Do you have any more from that time frame and area of the pines?????

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
LARGO,Nice pics!!! They are very impressive!!!! Do you have any more from that time frame and area of the pines?????

Thank you, I am pleased you enjoyed.
I am not certain of your request. While the area is very relevant and rich in interest, the time frame of these pics is in the 1980's. I assume you want something a little more dated. The region itself I have a pretty good collection of history on, as some others I am sure. I would be happy to share. Mind you, these images are on the very fringes of the Pine barrens, mere steps away from not being so.
I offer them as an historic "pines relevant" item.
That said, I am no railways sage, I have merely been mentored and interested by two very fascinating sources. My rail interests define themselves only to the relevance of the Pine Barrens yet I can not help but share images generously given to me by an anonymous party who has had the good fortune to document in film these machines. He is sort of a "ringer" for me if you will. I expect to have more as he offers them and believe that another here may share as well. Keep watching as I intend to keep the thread alive.

g.

Jello454

May 30, 2004
Piscataway NJ
Thank you, I am pleased you enjoyed.
I am not certain of your request. While the area is very relevant and rich in interest, the time frame of these pics is in the 1980's. I assume you want something a little more dated. The region itself I have a pretty good collection of history on, as some others I am sure. I would be happy to share. Mind you, these images are on the very fringes of the Pine barrens, mere steps away from not being so.
I offer them as an historic "pines relevant" item.
That said, I am no railways sage, I have merely been mentored and interested by two very fascinating sources. My rail interests define themselves only to the relevance of the Pine Barrens yet I can not help but share images generously given to me by an anonymous party who has had the good fortune to document in film these machines. He is sort of a "ringer" for me if you will. I expect to have more as he offers them and believe that another here may share as well. Keep watching as I intend to keep the thread alive.

g.

Well I have been very interested in the pines for many years now, and equally if not for a few years even more interested in trains and rail roading. So these pictures are very intriguing to me including the time era, subject matter, and location!!!! I like what you have shared so far and will be looking foward to seeing what will be next!!! I myself have many pine pictures that I must get on to my computer, but I have been switching from film to digital photography so I'm kind of in the middle of a mess right now.
Any way are thoose shots from winslow junction???