railroads in the pines

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Hampton Furnace was a very small iron making concern. It was really better known for it's cranberry production, of which the ruins that are visible date to.

The fire you noticed is part of a program done by the state to reduce the amount of fuel in the woods. They do a controlled burn to get rid of some of the brush so that a full fledged forest fire doesn't have as much fuel to burn.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have played with them in the past, but they only can be improved so much. Notice the Statue of Liberty on the side of the train which is the JCRR logo.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/jcrr/05_75.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/jcrr/5_75.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/jcrr/5_1975.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/jcrr/may_75.jpg

These photo's were developed in May of 1975. I had just purchased my Land Cruiser in April and this was our first visit to Pasadena (Brooksbrae). My mom had told us the location, and while there we heard the train coming. We ran out to the tracks as it passed by. I had a 110 camera then and it did not adjust to the light properly for some reason. These photo's were the driving force in me buying my Minolta camera that I used for the next 25 years. All of us regret something in our life, and these photo's not turning out is up there at the top of my list. If it were not for my other photo's of the train with me in them, I would be really depressed.

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
TeeGate said:
I have played with them in the past, but they only can be improved so much. Notice the Statue of Liberty on the side of the train which is the JCRR logo.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/jcrr/05_75.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/jcrr/5_75.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/jcrr/5_1975.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/jcrr/may_75.jpg

These photo's were developed in May of 1975. I had just purchased my Land Cruiser in April and this was our first visit to Pasadena (Brooksbrae). My mom had told us the location, and while there we heard the train coming. We ran out to the tracks as it passed by. I had a 110 camera then and it did not adjust to the light properly for some reason. These photo's were the driving force in me buying my Minolta camera that I used for the next 25 years. All of us regret something in our life, and these photo's not turning out is up there at the top of my list. If it were not for my other photo's of the train with me in them, I would be really depressed.

Guy

Guy,

Thanks for posting. When I get a chance, I'm going to see if I can do anything with these photos.

Thanks again.

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
railroads

its hard to believe that the trains ran from atsion to batso as late as seventyeight..................i recall hiking them back in the late seventies............hiked from carranza to atsion,on a hot day...........the pines among the rail bed were about three feet high then,and it was relatively easy walking along the tracks...............last year the pines at high bridge crossing were about five feet high...............lordy,how they do grow........karl

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
gagliarchives said:
Great shots. I guess changing the contrast on a digital editor wouldn't change them huh. Great vintage shots. I wonder what trip we'll take next...maybe Harrisville?

I played with them in Photoshop and other programs I have, but you can only bring out what is in the photo. When I get the train looking better it is all flushed out. So I just leave them as is and chalk them up for what they are.

Guy

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
I usually go to Florida twice a year myself, but it has been almost a year since I have been there, I guess I'm falling behind schedule, hey Ken have fun and see ya when you get back.

Westcritter

Mar 28, 2004
West Creek
I heard that there is a person with a motorized hand car, who has been seen traveling on a portion of that track recently. I din't know who it is, and haven't seen it. ????
Jack

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is very few if any places on that track where they can use any type of vehicle. The trees have grown between the tracks. And there are tracks removed in many places along the route. I know they have used these vehicles in the past, but if they are using them now they are not going very far.

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
TeeGate said:
There is very few if any places on that track where they can use any type of vehicle. The trees have grown between the tracks. And there are tracks removed in many places along the route. I know they have used these vehicles in the past, but if they are using them now they are not going very far.

Guy

Looks like I got caught :lol: Actually, I was going to purchase a real train horn and connect it to my vehicle until I found out how much it costs. I was going to use it when traveling through the pines. The Ghost train. Strange, I know :wink:

I wish there were still trains that ran in the Pines. What fun it must have been to explore where it is real quiet only to hear the CNJ or Conrail approaching.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
[/quote]I wish there were still trains that ran in the Pines. What fun it must have been to explore where it is real quiet only to hear the CNJ or Conrail approaching.[/quote]

I'm with you my man. Imagine being out there along the Forked River pulling moss and hearing the forlorn whistle of the ol' Engine number 6 coming along the Tuckerton Railroad tracks.

bob

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My father started me hunting when I was 8 in 1966 ; tagging along 2 years before I could get my first NJ juvenile hunting license. We used to hunt the areas between Atsion, Batsto and High crossing and I remember hearing the trains.
I also remember my father drilling into my head "If you get lost and you come across the RR tracks DON'T cross them! Walk along them and sooner or later you gotta come out to something."
He wasn't the greatest woodsman in the pines but that advice will never get you dead.
Scott

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
I wish there were still trains that ran in the Pines. What fun it must have been to explore where it is real quiet only to hear the CNJ or Conrail approaching.[/quote]

I'm with you my man. Imagine being out there along the Forked River pulling moss and hearing the forlorn whistle of the ol' Engine number 6 coming along the Tuckerton Railroad tracks.

bob[/quote]

I remember heading out with some of the folks here and seeing where the Tuckerton train ran in Lacey. I can't remember the exact location but it was near a quarry.

We also *believe* we found what was once a station there.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
RednekF350 said:
My father started me hunting when I was 8 in 1966 ; tagging along 2 years before I could get my first NJ juvenile hunting license. We used to hunt the areas between Atsion, Batsto and High crossing and I remember hearing the trains.
I also remember my father drilling into my head "If you get lost and you come across the RR tracks DON'T cross them! Walk along them and sooner or later you gotta come out to something."
He wasn't the greatest woodsman in the pines but that advice will never get you dead.
Scott

I was looking at the Delorme map and noticed that, according to the map, the tracks are missing from just north of Atsion to where it picks us where they start again just south of Carranza.

I wonder if this is accurate? If so, how did the tracks disappear? Where they removed or wash out. Hmm

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wish there were still trains that ran in the Pines. What fun it must have been to explore where it is real quiet only to hear the CNJ or Conrail approaching.[/quote]

bob[/quote]

Bob,

You must remember the JCRR trains, or are you just wishing you could hear the Tuckerton?

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
[/quote]Bob,You must remember the JCRR trains, or are you just wishing you could hear the Tuckerton?[/quote]

You know, I really never remember seeing a moving train in the pines, even though I have been living in them on and off since 1960. Its just one of those things.

Except............Lakehurst, when the trains still ran there.

I still have that photo of the Tuckerton Railroad engine running through the woods below Bamber. Something about that photo makes me nostalgic for something I was never a part of. It's the simple life I yearn for. The hell with Janet Jackson's boob and Kobe Bryants trial, and Bin Laden, and George dumbell Bush, and street gangs, and sex on sitcoms, and NJ traffic, and on and on.........