RAIN?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A good cam to watch the surf.

http://friendsofibsp.org/oba1-beach-cam/

Atlantic City tidal forecast: Record is 9.0 feet from Dec. '92 Nor'easter. Sandy was 8.8ft. Forecast here: 8.8 ft.

CrbdxA2XYAA09ye.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I hope you're saying the same thing this time tomorrow. Water was already high in Forked River at noon.

The high water is expected, it is a new moon high tide tomorrow with the storm far offshore pushing water, the surf was pretty high and the CG had two 47' MLB's in Manasquan Inlet keeping boats from entering the ocean. My weather rock was 100% accurate :D

Reactions: smoke_jumper

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Not a drop of rain here, hardly any wind either. We had a great day outside. And all the doom and gloom kept everyone home so the kids had the Parkway all to themselves when they drove down from NY this morning. :)

Reactions: Teegate

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Going back to the original name of this thread. I looks unlikely that we are going to get much relief in the form of rain. Unless you have interests along the shore it seems it will be uneventful to most of us.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Soon time for grillin' & chillin' :D Going to be some ticked off folks again, especially the 'non-residents' that were told to leave some of the towns to the south and were stuck on the GSP.

IBSP is closed until perhaps Tuesday.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogg57

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yeah, this has turned out to be one of the nicest weekends we've had. Spending lots of time out in the woods with my city-kid granddaughter who loves nature but doesn't get a lot of opportunities to experience it.

I don't blame the weather forecasters for warning people of the potential for a dangerous storm. But the media just eats that stuff up, last night there were stories that the storm could intensify and be dangerous today. There really will be some angry people who changed their weekend plans because of the dire warnings.

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
Crowley's landing was closed today. I stopped at Batsto to ask why, the person at the booth collecting money for parking said it's closed
because of the weather.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Haven't seen any rain, but there's no shortage of hot as hell weather. :D Kind of surprised that the USGS isn't showing any drought conditions yet. just "below normal". Meanwhile, the forecast for the next week only promises things like "30% chance of 1/10 inch or less"...

dry.jpg

Reactions: Spung-Man

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Boyd,

Judging by the amount of leaves drying up on understory shrubs, especially the non-natives, I think the Richland area ground has reached its wilting point despite a couple of gully-washers during the last couple of months. Spring growth was lush (too lush) due to abundant rain and cool temperatures, but savage heat and sporadic precipitation took away that gain. While meteorological metrics say one thing, apparently the plants haven't read the USGS report. Mother Nature played a cruel hoax on my woods.

S-M

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Spring growth was lush (too lush) due to abundant rain and cool temperatures, but savage heat and sporadic precipitation took away that gain.

A very good summary! :)

Today some of the pines are showing moderate drought conditions, and that dark orange area is bound to get larger in the coming days...

drought1.jpg

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Sitting in the woods watching the leaves fall like a snow fall.Seeing some trees up to 12-18 in diameter with wilting leaves.Hope that people are being careful with there own fire sources
I noticed that this weekend too. It seems the oaks are struggling the most. There are some that almost completely brown.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am in that dark brown area. Today I was at Challenge Grove Park in Cherry Hill for most of the day and I was looking at the trees there. They are really suffering. Especially the smaller ones with very little roots.