RAIN?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just got back from my walk on another beautiful day. 77 degrees here, humidity is a bit high (68%) but there's a nice breeze and passing clouds to shield the sun. I don't care what the forecast says, I'll take more days like this anytime! :D

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yep. So far the Farmers Almanac is right on target. Tomorrow's heat index might get uncomfortable, but its downhill from there. Autumnal Equinox in;
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

:dance:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Got about an inch of rain last night, the forecast was only calling for between a tenth and a quarter inch. We sure needed it here, there hasn't been anything measurable for weeks.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
There's a rain gauge at the Bass River SF office, and they got 1/2" of rain between Fri and Mon morning. It made things a bit damp, not much else. Lake Absegami is down about 6" from normal. That's just a guess, because the depth gauge at the bridge is all gunked up at that level and I can't read the numbers. In places, the lake edge is about 10 feet from the usual water line. The spillway has been completely dry for several weeks, at least.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't think I got anything here. It was dry when I went to work.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Interesting - looks like I was just lucky enough to be in the center of a narrow band of rain last night.

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 9.18.24 PM.png

Reactions: Menantico

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Got a nice soaking here yesterday, I'm located in yellow area and had about 2 inches. No heavy rain or wind, just slow and steady over a long period. We could use a couple more storms like this, creek level is still pretty low. It's interesting that the same areas got the heaviest rain again.

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 12.30.44 PM.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There are some deep puddles on the roads in the pines that have trucked in dirt on them. I guess the mudders will be out there playing.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, we had quite a bit of rain, and as recently as a week ago the low spots were dry and now they are not.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It's interesting, here's the Hazardous Weather Outlook from the NWS, which sounds very bad...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
423 AM EDT Thu Oct 31 2019

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for southern Delaware, central New Jersey and southern New Jersey.

A line of showers with embedded thunderstorms will move through the region this evening into the early part of the overnight associated with a cold front. The potential exists for strong, damaging winds over 60 mph to occur in places as this line moves through. Given many trees remain fully leafed, power outages are possible. Winds may also approach advisory levels behind the cold front late tonight into early Friday morning. Additional trees may be knockeddown with power outages remaining possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the actual forecast for my area is much less dire...

A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after midnight. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Low around 43. Breezy, with a south wind 18 to 21 mph becoming west after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Nice Halloween weather.... sunny, 72 degrees and 88% humidity. Just returned from a walk and worked up a good sweat. The breeze feels good though. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Looks like the rain will change to snow tonight. Then another cold day and a warm-up all the way to 64 degrees by Saturday.

If you look at this graphic carefully, there are two small clusters of heavier snow, one is somewhere around Williamstown and the other near Medford. Seems odd, but I guess it's what the computer model spits out when they input all the variables.

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 11.32.51 AM.png

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of up to three
inches.

* WHERE...Portions of southern New Jersey, southeast
Pennsylvania, northeast Maryland and northern Delaware.

* WHEN...From 5 PM this afternoon to midnight EST tonight.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
conditions could impact the evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Precipitation will move in from southwest
to northeast late this afternoon. It will likely start as a
brief period of rain before quickly transitioning to snow from
northwest to southeast through early this evening. Snowfall
rates through the first half of this evening could be moderate
at times leading to visibilities below a mile along with a quick
accumulation of snow on road surfaces. The snow will taper off
west to east around midnight.