Rally Race ????

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Rule number 10. I doubt that if you are in a rally you can break that rule.

Forest%20Rules__.JPG

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
What was the speed trap? I fell for the old tailgating routine a few years ago and the traffic stop was a nightmare. I didn't get a ticket after a heated exchange, but my truck was searched. I was furious.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Why should these individuals get permits for doing what looks like at least 50 in that video

Looking at how fast the trees were flying past, it looked more like 60 or 70 MPH. At the beginning, notice there was a truck that pulled out just before the car and was never seen again. Clearly he was also going at least as fast if not faster.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, I thought it was more than 40 but I did not want to over exaggerate it.

Gibby, I wish I could find that post. Ed was on Quaker Bridge Road and they had a speed trap catching anyone who drove faster than I believe Ed said was 15MPH. They must have had complaints and was dealing with it.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm trully surprised you folks just noticed this event, it's has been going on for 14 years, not quite as long as the 2 wheeled events though. There were 44 cars entered and it finished around 9pm. It is a TSD(time, speed, distance) event where the route directions state how long, how far and what speed is run to a checkpoint. The route is run and timed by the organizers before the event. Points are taken away based on how far away you are, + or -, from the timed run at each checkpoint, similar to the Warren Grove and PB500 2 wheeler events.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think you may be more interested in racing than some of us. First time I've ever heard of this and it seems like somebody around here posts about every little upcoming bake sale in the Pines, so this must not get much general publicity. That video makes me think they would rather stay under the radar. A Google search for "Pine Barrens Express Rally" brings up some info from clubs and forums, but no newspaper articles.

FWIW, I wrote the PPA and asked if they were aware of this event and if they had a position regarding it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That was not the original post but it is one of them. I actually think that some of the old threads were lost when Ben switched software sometime in the past. I may be wrong on that but I think I remember that discussion. In any event, that post basically is what we discussed. The reason I did not come up with that one in my search is I kept using Ed's screen name and not mine.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I think you may be more interested in racing than some of us.

It is a far cry from racing, actually a very technical event. There is the driver and the navigator in the car, the navigator reading the directions and telling the driver where and when to turn, what speed to make and for how long. Stop watches and fine tuned external odometers are used by the serious entrants, nowadays they have computers. There used to be quite a lot of them run on the roads by various clubs in decades past. My future wife and I spent many a Sunday back then. For a person that enjoys driving, they are great fun.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
What was the speed trap? I fell for the old tailgating routine a few years ago and the traffic stop was a nightmare. I didn't get a ticket after a heated exchange, but my truck was searched. I was furious.

I would be interested in hearing more about this. I had one memorable run in with a member of the Park Police which was borderline offensive.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
These SCCA guys usually run timed laps around cones in a mall parking lot. Guess they got tired of that and wanted to try something new.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I would be interested in hearing more about this. I had one memorable run in with a member of the Park Police which was borderline offensive.

Trailhead, almost three years this coming December, we driving down Hampton Road heading towards Carranza. As you pass Stokes Road, on your right is an opening and that is were the Park Police was sitting. As I went by, he pulled out behind me and pulled up so close to me I couldn't see the top of his hood. The officer was driving a Yukon. I was followed in this way until I put my blinker on and moved over to let him pass. As soon as I did that, the lights went on and I was stopped. Everything after that went down hill. I was ordered to show my hands and so was my girlfriend. The strobe lights were on and the spot light was shining in my mirror. The first thing he said to me was "Do you know what I have to deal with it?" My reponse was "How is that my problem?" A big mistake on my part. During our exchange exchange of words for about ten minutes, I was constantly badgered for a consent of search because my eyes were "wild" and my "state of mind". My truck and our belongings were searched on the side of the road, with out consent or just cause. I was livid. I was never asked for ID or any paperwork. The stop was long maybe thirty minutes and we were let go. I am leaving some details out but what sticks in my mind, was the officer was chuckling t0 himself as he walked back to his truck. This was the only time I have ever been stopped in the woods and it was bad. I still think I didn't receive a citation because the officer didn't want a record of proof of what happened. I wasn't speeding or doing anything illegal, I was in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Every other Ranger I have run into has been friendly and polite, but there is always that one time. This was mine.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yea, I thought it was more than 40 but I did not want to over exaggerate it.

Gibby, I wish I could find that post. Ed was on Quaker Bridge Road and they had a speed trap catching anyone who drove faster than I believe Ed said was 15MPH. They must have had complaints and was dealing with it.

Guy
I thought it might have been on Barry;s forum.