Random Notes-ATV Park

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I could not resist going to the site of the Stafford Business Park today-this is where the developer is going to cap the landfill in exchange for being allowed to build many homes. I was also interested in driving some of the sand roads west of the park. This is real no-man's land, hard core pine barrens. All day, ATV's and bikers roamed in large packs. It occurred to me that this particular area would make a good spot for the ATV Park. Why? Well, the people who live in that area down there along route 72 have absolutely no regard for those woods at all, so why not shove the park down their throats. "Their" woods are trashed beyond belief. There are televisions, automobiles (volkswagon and an old rusted Dodge Challenger), 55 gallon drums filled with who the hell knows what, refridgerators, couches, roofs, car parts, 5 gallon paint buckets (full), rugs, fences, plastic swimming pools, Nick-nacks, etc, etc. I found one spot where someone evidently emptied thier entire house. These people down there don't have a clue, they don't get it. The people on the off-road vehicles all drove shiny new pickups and had the best ATV's and bikes with all the right trail clothes. If they have so little regard for the land, then let them have their park right the hell there.

I went down along a little cedar creek named "Mill Creek". They had gouged out the slope heading down to the creek and made a trail in the bog. Where it got a little too soupy for them, they dumped freaking tires in there to give themselves some support. It's just lovely. Just lovely. Here is the area, just west of the bright spot-the dump.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/ATV_Park.JPG

I am serious about it being a great place for the park. The reason is, the woods are virtually impenetrable. The shrubby pines and oaks are crowded together, you'd have to be an idiot to leave the trail, it would shred you in a minute. And, if the park were partly privately owned, they could make a few new trails and keep it clean. I'll bet I could fill a dozen of those 30 ton dumpsters easily. And hey, if the people out on 72 in Ocean Acres can't hear the roving packs now, they won't hear them when the park is open.

PS; they are doing a study of the herps in the area in advance of the the development. They have those black plastic fences with a snake trap at the end. I peeked in one, saw a 10" long juvenile hog-nosed snake in there. Cool looking.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
How do you know the people who dumped there are local to that area?

That is a good question, but lets think about it. Why are the woods farther west on 72 where their are even less homes and it is more remote not as trashy? Maybe because the people who dump trash don't want to drive far to do it.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have not said anything before but this construction is going to destroy more than woods. The Lawrence Line goes directly though the woods in this area and number 9, 10, 11, 12, and maybe 13 may be at risk of being destroyed.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=231&pos=2

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=231&pos=3

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=231&pos=4

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=231&pos=5

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=231&pos=6

I do not know exactly where these homes are going to go, but we will be loosing a small piece of history if they are in line with these stones.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Has anyone viewed an article that shows the exact location of the planned development and where it encompasses?

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I was talking to one of the biologists I know with the pine lands commission. We were discussing the Stafford Business Park and she was one of the people studing the area. After she submitted her report she couldn't believe that it went through. She stated that she found not only endangered snakes but the den locations of endagered snakes and she believes that the relocation of the snakes will be unsuccessful because they are being moved from their den sites and wether or not they will take to new den sites is "ify". I think she said they are likely to return to the developed area.

It is interesting that the commission's own biologists are telling them they can't build there and they pass it anyway. I think somebody is a little richer than before.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hmmm. I think the area in orange west of the parkway, south of 72. It is now a large abandonded dump.

So you are saying they are going to build all around the dump? How far west do you think they are going?

Guy

BigRedEye

Scout
Mar 28, 2006
jersey shore
A previous post mentioned 55 gallon drums filled with an unidentified substance. That sounds like industrial waste, not something a homeowner would generate.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm not really familiar with that area or the people who live there. I just think it's unfair to speculate that they are the ones dumping there.

I will say this Redeye, some of them may have been businesses on route 9 in Manahawkin, but that would still be local to me.

At one spot I found about 800 Harlequin Romance books, and alongside them were religious books that kids would read. Go figure.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will say this Redeye, some of them may have been businesses on route 9 in Manahawkin, but that would still be local to me.

At one spot I found about 800 Harlequin Romance books, and alongside them were religious books that kids would read. Go figure.

Sounds like a business.

Guy