Raptors

Regrettably, much of my wildlife viewing is through the picture window these days (health issues) but I do get to watch the ducks and geese fly to work (here in Gloucester County) ; and I do get to watch some of the local raptors at work.

There is a Cooper's Hawk that displays a "stealth" hunting adaptation to the high board fences in our area yards. He flies just above the grass, lifts when he gets to a fence, then "drops" down the other side, sidles across the lawn, and heads for the next fence.

I've seen Red Tails (who hasn't ?) and thought for a while they might be stalking the geese - but no: they were just headed in same direction. (I imagine a Red Tail could take a goose okay, but it would be a pretty hefty meal.)

This morning, I THINK I saw a pair of Ospreys soaring and flapping around above Fries Mill Rd.- but they were too far away to see clearly. It looked ( as a wild surmise) as if they might be sharing fishing grounds with a flock of geese.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Quick follow-up : Saw reports today Snowy Owls might be headed our way.
Apparently, there was a population explosion of these beauties a year or so back, and, needing extra room, some of the owls began migrating further south.

They have been here since November. This year is reputed to be one of the largest migrations ever. The large numbers are due to abundant Lemming populations up north in the breeding grounds, allowing the hatchlings to survive. As they grow, they reduce the Lemming populations causing them to migrate in search of food.
As an example, the link shows the reported sightings country wide. We were up to see the one that has been at Merrill Creek since the fall. Might go looking for the one in Little Silver this weekend. Last time we had any was in 2008, picture is from Island Beach SP.

http://ebird.org/ebird/map/snoowl1?...on&bmo=1&emo=2&yr=2012-2012&byr=2012&eyr=2012

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I also have been seeing a mature Bald Eagle in the vicinity of the reservoir just pass Penn Place Road.(On your left heading towards the lake from RT 563.) Friday afternoon, I saw another, or maybe the same, in a field just before the feed shop on Carranza Road. It caught me by surprise. I actually stopped in the middle of the road and watched for a moment before it flew off.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Baldies are sprucing up their nests, or already on them,in prep for egg laying/incubation over the next couple of months.

Eagle Festival in Mauricetown this coming Saturday. Looks like weather will be iffy again.

http://www.co.cumberland.nj.us/controls/NewsFeed.aspx?FeedID=2768

We were up to Merrill Creek's main dam yesterday for the Snowy that's been their since last autumn; the one in Little Silver turned out to be a 1 day wonder, most likely a day tripper from Long Island. It is absolutley amazing to look up at that dam from its base, I'm really surprised folks are allowed there.

Reactions: Gibby
What a fantastic shot !!!

Are you the photographer who copyrighted it ?
(I wish I could use it on my (mostly family-read ) blog !)

I should clarify !

The photo depicted a "smiling" owl perched on the base of a fallen tree - and it occurred to me it would probably "go viral" with a caption - something like this : "Seeking vainly to attract a mate, Larry chopped down yet another tree..."

Quick follow-up: not sure what I saw. Was driving south on Rte 322 near the northern Corkery Rd. interchange yesterday (02/16/12) and saw a "big-ass bird" flapping away.

Though at first it might be a buzzard -but wing action seemed different. Big raptor, such as Osprey or Eagle ?? Looked again (a bit tricky since I was driving) an noticed wing tips were "pointed" like those of a gull or other sea bird.

Big sea bird is best I can do at this time.

There were a lot of gulls inland yesterday, incidentally. I'm guessing they ride in on the low pressure .

Visit from "resident" Cooper's Hawk this morning. It perched very quietly in a next door tree, and spent about 15 minutes doing all the usual "bird things" (preening, scratching at fleas or mites, fertilizing the lawn), then "launched" like a rocket into the next yard.

I couldn't see him anymore, but am guessing some incautious field mouse had a fatally bad morning.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Yesterday evening, several Redtails and a Cooper were taking advantage of the prescribed burn at Colliers Mills by picking up easy meals. The burned grass fields made targeting prey easy. The fire was still visible outside of the tree line from the main road in and they were already overhead.

I am not a hundred percent certain, but before sunset at Whitesbogs, we might a seen a Merlin. A lightning quick, low level flight across the bog edge and the a zig-zag pursuit of a Dove through the cedars. The small bird had a slate grey back and cream belly with browns speckles. Merlin?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am not a hundred percent certain, but before sunset at Whitesbogs, we might a seen a Merlin. A lightning quick, low level flight across the bog edge and the a zig-zag pursuit of a Dove through the cedars. The small bird had a slate grey back and cream belly with browns speckles. Merlin?

There is a Peregrine that likes to hang out there, favors the small clump of trees between the bogs. Very similar in coloration. Bring a scope as you won't get very close :)

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
There is a Peregrine that likes to hang out there, favors the small clump of trees between the bogs. Very similar in coloration. Bring a scope as you won't get very close :)

Thanks, 46er. I had a 300mm lens on the camera but didn't get a good look because of the speed. Amazing to see! I will have to pack my spotting scope into my truck for moments like this.

Jerseyman, I laughed out loud to your response.:)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks, 46er. I had a 300mm lens on the camera but didn't get a good look because of the speed. Amazing to see! I will have to pack my spotting scope into my truck for moments like this.

Might also be a Kestrel, they like that area as well. Size helps in the id. It's a bit early for them to come back, but with this weird winter who knows. 70f on the deck. Chipmunks are already out and about.