Raptors

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Actually I've been wondering if the warm winter has prevented some of the birds from migrating. A couple weeks ago there were quite a lot of robins around my place. Would they normally be here this time of year? And the squirrels have been especially active, chasing each other around... wondered if they (and other species) might be starting mating rituals early?

Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer than today.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Might also be a Kestrel, they like that area as well. Size helps in the id. It's a bit early for them to come back, but with this weird winter who knows. 70f on the deck. Chipmunks are already out and about.

A Kestrel is much smaller. The bird I saw was about the size of a crow and had a wingspan relative to its size, about three feet. I think you are right with the ID being a Peregrine. The grey coloring on the back carried over onto the face and ended in a "V" shape on the cheek. The shape of the coloring on the face is what had me puzzled. I thought Peregrines had solid coloring on the face.

falcon.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A couple weeks ago there were quite a lot of robins around my place. Would they normally be here this time of year? And the squirrels have been especially active, chasing each other around... wondered if they (and other species) might be starting mating rituals early?

Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer than today.

Some Robins are here all winter, the rest begin coming north in late February. I always see some flocks in the maritime forest areas along the beach December thru February.

Squirrels are worse than rabbits :eek:

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
When Peregrines are "in between" immature and adult, The color often looks mottled, but the side burns and crow size are usually good field marks to go by. Merlins are much smaller, but the coloration is similar, and if you're far away ID can be tough. Kestrels are very colorful. I have a Peregrine and a sharp shinned that regularly raid my back yard feeder. The larger birds (grackles and blue jays) pretty much ring the dinner bell every time they show up. We had a young sharp shinned fly in to a closed window and kill itself. As I held it I realized what a Beautiful bird they are.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A GUIDE FOR HAWKS SEEN IN THE NORTHEAST,Thats a great Pdf.Thanks for sharing that one

Another good share, a portion of a PBS show that aired some time ago. There is a state erected Peregrine hacking tower about 300 feet from where my boat is docked. I've often watched them put on an amazing show, their speed and control is awesome.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks for sharing the extra information 46er! The pattern of flight at the thirty second mark in video two is exactly what I saw but only six or seven feet off of the ground. The wing shape is an exact match. ;)