Real Estate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The direction the economy is quickly going. Having your property valued at well more than it's worth, without people having the funds to purchase it, due to rising costs and inflation, doesn't make for a good scenario.

I guess no one recalls the housing crisis from not too long ago. How many homes and properties are still abandoned, because people paid much more than what they were worth when prices fell out.

I'm certainly no expert and I have no dog in this race, but I will be impacted by the failing economy. That's my immediate concern.
I agree with you, to a degree. Also, our government throws money around to solve problems too readily, and likely without some necessary restrictions too.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Having your property valued at well more than it's worth, without people having the funds to purchase it, due to rising costs and inflation, doesn't make for a good scenario.
I don't think the housing market today is the same as 2008, when sub-prime lending and securitization of mortgages caused the crash. Realtors are basically holding auctions and selling houses without inspection because the demand is so high. I don't know if banks are qualifying buyers correctly, but I'm thinking they would not made the same mistake again. We've been trying to help a family member get back on his feet but there just aren't many houses available.

Reactions: Boyd

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I don't follow the real estate market since I'm quite happy here and have no interest in selling. But with all the news about real estate recently, I had a look at Zillow just for fun. Holy sh***! My house value has gone up 35% in less than a year. That is just crazy. The bottom fell out of the market here when Atlantic City went bust, my house lost 1/3 of its value and didn't change for years. If this continues, soon I'll be back to what I paid in 2006, which was practically the peak of the housing boom.

Looking at the big picture, this raises concerns about over-development in the Pines. What do you think? Are we on the cusp of a big development boom in the Pines?
I think that we are already seeing that happening. Just look at the 67 complex in Barnegat, on the West side of the GSP and the development across the street from 67. I think that this development has the highest commercial bldg. in the Pines.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think that we are already seeing that happening. Just look at the 67 complex in Barnegat, on the West side of the GSP and the development across the street from 67. I think that this development has the highest commercial bldg. in the Pines.
Except this was planned for in the Pinelands Master Plan. While none of us like it, in my opinion the pines proper are still safe from a building boom.

Trailwalker

Scout
Sep 5, 2023
(ex-piney) in Florida
Pain for some will be good news for others. We originally started looking around ‘05 when prices were ridiculous. We were frustrated, mad and had almost given up hope on finding a single family home with a yard. Almost ended up buying a condo but in time were glad we waited. Our neighbors bought in ‘07, we bought in ‘10 and paid $50k less for a bigger house with a bigger yard. They sold last January for $25k less than they paid before things heated up and barely broke even. Actually, with all the repairs they did before putting it on the market they might have lost money. It’s all about timing, your individual situation and luck really.

It is about timing. I moved my family down here to St Lucie West in July 2009 right at the bottom. Paid $150,000 for a lake front 3/2 1900" in a gated community. No job lined up, just to afford my children a better lifestyle entering their teens. My house is currently valued at over $479,000 and is climbing every day. There are plans in place to build over 3500 new homes in this area in the near future. Most of these are being built for your neighbors on the NE corridor. it's so interesting to read this thread 3 plus years later.

Last edited by a moderator:

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
My parents bought land a little north of you around the peak. Even at the bottom I don’t think land prices dropped much. You can’t even find a lot now, they are developed and sold now. When you could 10x what they paid was normal. Development I’ve seen on the east coast of Florida over the last 20years amazes me.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
This exit to nowhere was built several years ago, it’ll be a mini city soon. Have disposable cash? Buy a lot there and sell in 10years.

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 51

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I’m not moving to FL, I don’t like heat! Homeowners is someone else’s headache LoL. Just land… buy, hold, sell.

RJG

Scout
Nov 19, 2023
Sea Isle City, NJ
I couldn’t take the heat and humidity of Florida either. There’s nothing better than breathing in the crisp, fresh November air as you’re walking down a quiet path in the pines. I have a brother who built a house in Naples, FL two years ago. Building code now requires them to construct houses to withstand 150 mph winds.

Reactions: bobpbx

Trailwalker

Scout
Sep 5, 2023
(ex-piney) in Florida
I couldn’t take the heat and humidity of Florida either. There’s nothing better than breathing in the crisp, fresh November air as you’re walking down a quiet path in the pines. I have a brother who built a house in Naples, FL two years ago. Building code now requires them to construct houses to withstand 150 mph winds.
I will admit that tropical summers can be downright brutal but the saying down here goes, "If you can't take the summers, you don't deserve the winters." It is early February and the high temps have been in the 70's every day since before the Holidays. Crisp high 40's-low 50's as lows at night. My gated community is like a wildlife preserve. We see otters and bobcats on a monthly basis. Ospreys dive bomb the like out back daily and red tails and sandhill cranes abound. After living in Queens, NYC for nearly 30 years after leaving South Jersey, we truly feel like we are living in paradise. The trails in the undevelop west of town remind me of the barrens with all the soft sand and pines (you just have to ignore the palms). But that being said, I am much more cautious trail walking down here as Florida nature has numberless way of taking one down.