Recent Vandalism at Brooksbrae

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a cultural thing. There is very little respect for the Pine Barrens and my thoughts are it is because the State of NJ just doesn't give a damn either. I have been to many other state parks and forest and national parks and have never seen misuse like we have here in NJ. You can go to any other state and read all about interesting sites and locations and you when you go to them you don't find them trashed or run over by a 4x4 along with piles of Miller Lite cans. Nothing is ever done to these people and no one keeps an eye out. We have such a divided infrastructure with Parks and Forest, Forest Fire, Park Police and the Pinelands Commmission all going in their own direction and beholding to no one from what I can see. If everything were controlled by one group, say Parks and Forest, along with having a real mission to preserve and protect, things would be different. Lots of people seem to want to squirrel away the Pine Barrens for their own uses and not share. But this leaves it remote and isolated and the larger population has little or no knowledge of the Pine Barrens. The success in other states and our national parks is due to people using and enjoying and appreciating the areas and won't stand for the riff raff destroying them. The mug heads that vandalize out there don't read any way, they just drive around aimlessly looking for something to do. When they find something that strikes their fancy they go about doing what they think is COOL and FUN with no regard to what importance or meaning it has to everyone else. For them there is no one else, it is only them. It is cultural.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It's a cultural thing. There is very little respect for the Pine Barrens and my thoughts are it is because the State of NJ just doesn't give a damn either.

"It's a cultural thing"? :rolleyes: That sounds like a politically correct way of blaming society and institutions for the irresponsible acts of individuals. Do those kids have parents? Do the parents give a damn? Do the parents let them use the family car to get there?

I'd venture to say there is a mix of ingredients : officials who have (sometimes by direction) other priorities; parents who taught their kids to take from others; bored young people looking to add some meaning to their lives; a small-but-vocal elite which thinks that is just wonderful---and- lest we forget our own youth - the hard-to-resist lure of abandoned property and goods.
Season this with an out of the way place to use intoxicants, and some bad things are sure to happen.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
"It's a cultural thing"? :rolleyes: That sounds like a politically correct way of blaming society and institutions for the irresponsible acts of individuals. Do those kids have parents? Do the parents give a damn? Do the parents let them use the family car to get there?

Yeah, but now you're blaming parents for the actions of individuals. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Ultimately the individual is responsible of course. But if they are a minor and dependent, don't you think the parent should have a role in teaching their kids proper values and disciplining them? What bothers me is the notion that the State should solve all our problems. This is the kind of thinking that has gotten us to the current bloated "Nanny State".

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
seems to me I get the crap taxed out of me no matter who is in office so no taking sides here on the tax issue just wondering where it all goes? I have read that the income tax and the property tax are both unconstitutional and that the income tax was started to finance the Civil War and then abandoned afterwards but resurrected to finance World War 1 and never abandoned again.I must say I am no authority on the Constitution but if that is true would love to know how they get away with it and why we put up with it? It's all so complicated,I understand the natural world much better.Better to be eaten then have the crap taxed out of you for 50 years and then die.

Did you not read what I wrote? NO POLITICS CHAT HERE.

mudpie

Explorer
Dec 4, 2011
Bullock
Brooksbrea is near our place and a few years ago we went on a college class trip there. My professor was extremely respectful and reminded us of the need to be careful who you tell about such places ect....
There are various ways now with the internet especially, that more and more people learn about these places.
It would be nice if there was a way to post even small signs stating the historical significance and reminding people to be respectful. It wouldn't resolve it but it may cut back on the damage.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It would be nice if there was a way to post even small signs stating the historical significance and reminding people to be respectful. It wouldn't resolve it but it may cut back on the damage.

They would spay paint the sign for sure if it lasts that long. I doubt there is a way to stop what goes on there.

Guy

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
There's always a way. The question is to what extent and at what expense are the officials and law enforcement willing to go to apprehend the offenders. I'd expect that properly is trashed just about every weekend. A simple stake-out of the place by several law enforcement officials would help. It would get word out that the place is being watched and would apprehend some of the offenders.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
I can't believe the State doesn't make better use of volunteers. They could be used to maintain and watch over landmarks and parks. We have an adopt-a-road program where volunteers keep their designated roadways clean. NJ should have an adopt-a-park or adopt-a-landmark program. Also, prisoners are used to clean highways, why not forest areas too? In Florida, trained volunteers help the police watch over everything and actually ride in special police cars.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
In Florida, trained volunteers help the police watch over everything and actually ride in special police cars.

Up until 2008, NJ had a similar program.

Deputy Program
Deputy Conservation Officers are volunteers who work not only without compensation, but purchase their own equipment. The program was discontinued in 2008.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I found this tonight. Dopey Kids!

The photograph is blurry because it was a long, handheld exposure.
garb.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Odd! I wonder what that could be used for? Paintball?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Odd! I wonder what that could be used for? Paintball?

I have no idea what it could be used for. I know it took a bit of effort to get the trampoline back there. It is heavy when broken down in pieces, over a hundred pounds.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Or, maybe it allows them to jump up onto the top of the one tall structure. One team leaves the area, the team there drags it over to the building, someone jumps up, they move it away, and then they hide. Then the away team moves in to find them?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.