Recent Vandalism at Brooksbrae

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's unfair to blame Weird NJ on much of the damage in the Pine Barrens - they rarely write about South Jersey, they even more rarely write about the Pine Barrens, they never include directions to anywhere, and there are plenty of places they've never mentioned that are just as trashed as badly or worse as places that they have mentioned. Apple Pie Hill is a perfect example, there is always trash up there that was dropped off the tower, but it's never been in the magazine.

The sad part is I think we'd all be shocked on how few idiots are actually trashing these places compared to how many people visit them. It takes so few people to ruin a place.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Are you sure your name is Mike? Not Mark??????
Years ago, I received an email from the "Marks". I probably posted it on here somewhere but I am not sure...

Originally they expressed interest and sent me a 500+ word file of their "Index". They asked me to submit amything interesting about anything they had listed. I REFUSED! the reason as I did not want people traipsing around in sensitive areas.

They claim they have respect for our areas, yet they print it and we have scores of people here ruining your history.

Going back to the beginning of WNJ, way back before I "became" a piney..

I used to run research projects in NY. I remember the "Marks" asking about an abandoned subway car under the Waldorf and "mole people". My sergeant told me they were a frickin' joke and not to reply. Of coure I did. And Mark S. told me he could get me money to give him info about the things going on in NYC. It did not have to be true...just a great story.

Needless to say... I lost all respect right there.

I love history...I love a great story....nut WNJ does not live on the truth.....

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
BTW, I remember a couple of stories theyran about place in NY that I was closely acquainted with. One was the subway car, the other was about Bannerman's Is;and. Both were so unbelievably inflated,,,,

I love the graffiti. I wouldn't like it on Harrisville ruins, but it looks awesome at brooksbrae. I could do with a few less penis paintings, but some of them are fantastic

Attachments

• 20130612_211154.jpg
    20130612_211154.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 419
  • CAM00014.jpg
    CAM00014.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 417
  • CAM00021.jpg
    CAM00021.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 390
  • CAM00046.jpg
    CAM00046.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 427
brooksbrae is asking to be torn down because of the crumbling tunnels, someone is bound to get hurt. Its not very pretty without the paint, whereas Harrisville is older, safe to be around as long as you don't climb it or something, and its made of bright red bricks, not the ugly gray of Pasadena. I wouldn't be enraged if someone painted Harrisville, I just think the aesthetic is perfect the way it is. there is no reason I would try to keep the locations of these places a secret from people simply because of the possibility that they might put paint on it. I cant draw/paint to save my life, but if I did, id consider making brooksbrae more visually appealing as well.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
brooksbrae is asking to be torn down because of the crumbling tunnels, someone is bound to get hurt. Its not very pretty without the paint, whereas Harrisville is older, safe to be around as long as you don't climb it or something, and its made of bright red bricks, not the ugly gray of Pasadena. I wouldn't be enraged if someone painted Harrisville, I just think the aesthetic is perfect the way it is. there is no reason I would try to keep the locations of these places a secret from people simply because of the possibility that they might put paint on it. I cant draw/paint to save my life, but if I did, id consider making brooksbrae more visually appealing as well.

As long as you don't climb it? Because, uhm… All it takes is one person to fall or get hurt there and trust me, the state will come along and tear it down. The state knocked down the cotton factory at Atsion for the same reason.

Look, we're just not going to agree on this and it's totally not worth either of our time arguing about it.

If you want to tell people how to go to these sites, by all means go for it. Just don't come here and ask us to tell you where they are. Just as it's your prerogative to tell people, it's ours not to.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I took the long way home from Thanksgiving dinner last night and drove down Pasadena road sometime around 9:00 PM. I noticed a truck and a car on the shoulder where someone might park if they were going to Brooksbrae. Made me think that they were up to no good...

VenturestoAnomally: there are times when people on this site don't get along; you will find that anywhere that people gather. But I think it is indeed a "great community" full of people who are eager to help each other and share their love for this part of the country.

I just don't think you'll find anyone else here that agrees graffitti has improved the appearance of historical structures in the pines.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Okay. i guess by "us" you mean you.

Ben speaks for me, and if I spoke for myself I would not be so kind.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.