Recommend a Shotgun

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I recently obtained my NJ Firearms ID and made my 1st purchase of a Ruger 10/22 Carbine model for general plinking and target practice. I want to purchase a new shotgun for home defense and would be interested in your suggestions.

I do know that I want a pump-action, so multiple shells can be loaded. Additionally, the sound of that pump engaging is also a good deterrent if someone enters the house and hears that sound. I really don't know what gauge to get, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I recently obtained my NJ Firearms ID and made my 1st purchase of a Ruger 10/22 Carbine model for general plinking and target practice. I want to purchase a new shotgun for home defense and would be interested in your suggestions.

I do know that I want a pump-action, so multiple shells can be loaded. Additionally, the sound of that pump engaging is also a good deterrent if someone enters the house and hears that sound. I really don't know what gauge to get, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you must have more than a 2 shell capacity, look at a 12 ga semi-auto. The sound of initially chambering a round is similar to the pump action. Benelli is a good brand. It would also serve well should you decide to take up hunting. If you've ever watched the TV show 'Sons of Guns', Red Jacket puts out some nice, although pricey, firearms. Personally, I prefer a double gun, Ruger Red Label, nothing to jam, and I prefer it be quiet if someone else is in the house that may be armed. I certainly do not want them to know where I am. I also like being able to select which barrel/choke to fire for the situation.

http://redjacketfirearms.com/

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I’m with gipsie in my love of Ithaca 37s. I finally put mine into semi-retirement to protect it from the harsh waterfowling conditions I hunt under and replaced it with a Benelli Nova pump. The Ithaca could take the abuse, but the original company is long gone and I want mine to last. If you visit a firearm forum, you will find that all the major brands have their fans and it is hard to say any one is better than another. A Mossberg 500 is a time-proven model that can be had cheaply, and is also American-made, if that matters to you. I also prefer pumps and doubles over a semi-auto, but that is mostly personal preference. A well cleaned semi should function reliably, but a pump almost always will, with the same being true for a double. I spent the last season hunting with a friend who had a fairly new semi-auto that kept jamming. He bought a new pump by the season’s end. But one problem with shotguns in general for home defense is that they can be unwieldy indoors. That’s why most law enforcement agencies use shotguns with much shorter barrels than would be suitable for hunting or clay target shooting. I keep a handgun safe with a push button combination under my bed. That way I don’t have to worry about hiding a loaded gun anywhere. But I’m not one of these “gun nuts” that dwells on the possibility and sometimes sound like they hope someone breaks in so they can use their gun. I’m a firm believer that an alert dog is far better than a firearm at protecting your house. A potential burglar will go on to easier pickings if he hears a dog barking inside the house, even a yapping lap dog. And I’d much rather keep an intruder out of my house than deal with him inside. But I still have the guns, just in case!

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Ithaca's are great. Mossberg is also a good gun. My personal favorite, although I do not own one yet, is the Remington 870. Benelli's are also great guns. Would have gotten the Remington this month had I not got a great deal on a Sig Sauer 556 semi auto rifle.

I agree 100% with German on an alert dog. No one (bad guy, that is) will stick around once the dog starts barking.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Im a sucker for double barrels, but thats mostly for my upland bird hunting. For a great pump, check out Remington's 870.. that gun is as solid as you get for the money. The older 870 wingmasters are classics, but even their newer 870 express is as reliable as they come. They have them at a major "Sporting Goods" store all around NJ. If you are looking at brownings or benellis, prepare to spend a chunk of change. Mossberg has some fairly priced and reliable pumps as mentioned above. Good luck.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
Hunters

my son and my dad are hunters. must of skipped a generation. nothing against in, just rather hike.
bought my first shotgun at Nichol's Dept. store for $39 in '70 LOL.

my dad Fred Rothenbach used to teach the safety course.

ill ask my son. he has a few and has been looking for somebody to duck hunt with. he has the boat, but doesn't know the area around Chiselhurst.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
An AA-12 with a 32 round drum mag firing at 300 rpm would surely get someones attention, couldn't imagine how bad it would be with frag-12 rounds lol. Since we can't have a AA-12 or SPA-12, I would recommend the Remington 870, it'll get the job done if you need it to.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
870's are a great gun. I am partial to Mossberg 835's, I own 2 of them. If you are looking for a first or inexpensive shotgun the New England Firearms/H&R single shot is a good gun, I have one in 20 gauge, you can buy one for a little over a $100.00.

Chris

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Thanks again folks. I've been getting some feedback from other sources as well and have narrowed my choice down to the Remington 870 Series. Now, it's a matter of choosing the proper unit to suit my needs.

I've gotten it down to the following choices:

-- Model 870™ Express® Super Magnum Synthetic

-- Model 870™ Express® Tactical

-- Model 870™ Express® Synthetic 18"

I don't ever see me wanting to hunt game, so that's no a cosideration. Like I said, this would be mostly for home defense and occasional target-type shooting at a range (so I can become familiar with it).

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.

Another vote for the Model 870™ Express® Tactical. And remember, smaller shot at close, home defense ranges, has great stopping power and decreases the danger of excessive wall penetration lessening the chance of striking unintended targets in the house.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Get a well trained cat :D

41.gif

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
this is nascar.....are you still in Blackwood? if so, we're neighbors. If you want to shoot an 870 before buying, pm me. Of course, my 870's a wingmaster w/ 30" barrell......not ideal for home defense (you'll bump the wall with the muzzle before you get around a corner.)

For those with the Ithaca 37....it's a good idea to put that classic into a limited use basis. A few years ago, I had to have Winter's gun shop make some parts that had worn on mine. not cheap, but the gun holds alot of sentimental value.