Recommend a Shotgun

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks again folks. I've been getting some feedback from other sources as well and have narrowed my choice down to the Remington 870 Series. Now, it's a matter of choosing the proper unit to suit my needs.
Be careful with the 870, some early models have an issue with jamming fired shells. The quick fix to clear the jam is accomplished by slamming the weapon against a hard surface while racking the action, doesn't sound very user friendly. Remington put out a conversion kit to fix it. Newer models have a problem with the tubular magazine jamming, a plastic piece can break off and cause the jam.

Might want to also consider the Mossberg 590, you can mount a bayonnet on it, and is currently in use with the Marines.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Be careful with the 870, some early models have an issue with jamming fired shells. The quick fix to clear the jam is accomplished by slamming the weapon against a hard surface while racking the action, doesn't sound very user friendly. Remington put out a conversion kit to fix it. Newer models have a problem with the tubular magazine jamming, a plastic piece can break off and cause the jam.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain Nascar....he is a naysayer and a contrarian.

But we like him anyway, we just take him with a grain of salt (er, powder).

:)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain Nascar....he is a naysayer and a contrarian.

But we like him anyway, we just take him with a grain of salt (er, powder).

:)

The man asked for a recommendation for a firearm Bob, not where to take a hike :rolleyes:
If in doubt, contact a reliable gunsmith. Case closed.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The man asked for a recommendation for a firearm Bob, not where to take a hike :rolleyes:
If in doubt, contact a reliable gunsmith. Case closed.

The first video and several others on Youtube that you will find are focusing on jams with Winchester ammo.
Winchester ammo has gone down hill lately and their bases have become so thin that they swell and jam very easily, regardless of the gun from which they were fired.

I regularly use my grandfather's H&R single for squirrel. It was manufactured around 1905, and it will not extract any modern Winchester ammo. I use Remington and Federal in it without a problem.
The last three seasons I have been shooting my 870 Express Supermag that I bought in '08 and I haven't jammed anything in it but I do avoid the Winchester ammo.
Winchester ammo cost me a deer a few years ago when I split a base and hull on the first shot at a running deer. My follow up shot would have been at about twenty five yards.

Further sealing the fate of Winchester shotgun ammo for me came a few weeks ago when we disected a few live rounds of Federal Black Cloud and Winchester Expert Hi-Velocity.
Winchester's shot looks like unrefined slag, seriously.
Supposedely it is cut from wire stock and then reshaped. You cannot roll a pellet across a table.
The Federal is bright round and shiny and rolls true.

I also have a late eighties 870 and my oldest son has a late 90's 870 and all function flawlessly.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Over 6 millon 870's and clones out there. I have a cheap 870 express that is 23 years old, it came with two barrels. a 28" vent rib, and a 20" smooth slug barrel with rifle sights. The only problems I have ever had with it were operator related. Once while deer hunting I jammed a shell in the mag backwards. Tough jam to clear, but nothing is idiot proof. Mossberg has some nice guns set up for self defense, but I never liked the saftey on top of the reciever. Too used to my remington. Unless you want to drop $900+ on a good semi, you can't beat an 870.
The ruger 10/22 by the way, was an excellent choice. midwayusa.com had some nice high capacity mags on sale recently (get the steel lips). All you need now is a scoped .308 bolt gun and a good .357 revolver and you have a very complete gun collection. You guys are still allowed to own handguns up there aren't you?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I was days away from going to my local police station to apply for the paperwork for a new handgun when I ended up putting my disposable funds into my oil tank instead. :mad: I was hoping to add a GI-style 1911 to my collection. Looks like I’m saving my pennies, once again!

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I was days away from going to my local police station to apply for the paperwork for a new handgun when I ended up putting my disposable funds into my oil tank instead. :mad: I was hoping to add a GI-style 1911 to my collection. Looks like I’m saving my pennies, once again!

Do you have to go to the police station every time you want to buy one? I moved out of jersey in 95 and honestly can't remember what the procedure was then.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Do you have to go to the police station every time you want to buy one? I moved out of jersey in 95 and honestly can't remember what the procedure was then.

For longarms a one-time permit to purchase ID is obtained. For handguns, a separate permit to purchase must be applied for each time a weapon is purchased, in addition to the original firearm purchasers ID card. Both involve a variable time span for background checks

skip3

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
cc tx, Green Bank Nj
Over 6 millon 870's and clones out there. I have a cheap 870 express that is 23 years old, it came with two barrels. a 28" vent rib, and a 20" smooth slug barrel with rifle sights. The only problems I have ever had with it were operator related. Once while deer hunting I jammed a shell in the mag backwards. Tough jam to clear, but nothing is idiot proof. Mossberg has some nice guns set up for self defense, but I never liked the saftey on top of the reciever. Too used to my remington. Unless you want to drop $900+ on a good semi, you can't beat an 870.
The ruger 10/22 by the way, was an excellent choice. midwayusa.com had some nice high capacity mags on sale recently (get the steel lips). All you need now is a scoped .308 bolt gun and a good .357 revolver and you have a very complete gun collection. You guys are still allowed to own handguns up there aren't you?

i don't think high capacity mags are allowed in the state..... I can't even bring my bb gun to when I visit :jeffd::jeffd::jeffd:

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I just quickly searched through the "New Jersey Administrative Code Title 13, Chapter 54. Firearms and Weapons (N.J.A.C. 13:54-1 et seq.)" document and only saw references to 15 rounds, not 10, so maybe I'm thinking of something else.