Red Cedars and Faden's 1777 map of NJ

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Gabe, I vote for the white in this particular case. The red cedar though (Juniper virginiana) is native, and certainly could have been seen.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
According to Elwes & Henry (1906), the epic seven volume The Trees of Great Britain and Ireland, the eastern redcedar was highly valued in Europe (esp. England & Germany) for its decay resistance and scent. It remained a favorite through the Victorian era. Figured heartwood fetched extremely high prices, lining the finest mansions of London. They stated, "No wood is better adapted for delicate mouldings or carvings, though it is too soft to be used in any positions exposed to friction or contact for furniture." (p. 1442). Wardrobes of redcedar not only warded off moths, but lice too. Atlantic whitecedar on the other hand had a tremendous local market for sheathing houses (clapboard, shingles).

During the late nineteenth century Wildwood had two lumber mills to cut redcedar, while Ocean City had just one. Their production was for house pilings and pencil manufacture.

S-M

Reactions: dogg57
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Same map, different topic:

Take a look at the Forks of the Mullica. Note the road extending from Burr's Mill on the Batsto River to Cripp's Mill at the Forks. It then runs to the Shore Road near Leeds Point. I'm guessing that the latter stretch is a combination of Indian Cabin Rd. and Morse's (Moss) Mill Rd. But I'm still trying to figure out the stretch from Burr's Mill to Cripps Mill. I'm thinking that most of it is what is now called "Middle Road". What do you guys think?