Red Oak Grove pictures

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
During our get-together, some of you all heard me crow about my trip to Red Oak Grove, and finding the ruins there. I finally uploaded the pictures.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I was really amazed with how deep the cellar holes were. There are two holes that are definately cellar holes, and there are a few depressions on either side of the road without any brick, so they might have been dug later.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bruset,
Yep thats it.Was it right where I marked it?Did you notice the Red oaks on both sides of the road that were much bigger then the others further off in the woods?Was the tree still across the road a quarter mile south that the lightning blew up.I found that tree about half hour after it was hit.
If you blink you"ll miss red oak grove won"t you?:)
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
When i found red oak grove july 20th I never seen the door.Are you sure this is part of the original settlement?The cellar holes and condition of the general area seems to be older then any wooden object would be expected to last. Does anyone know the date this was abandoned?Might it just be part on an illegal trash dump?
Al

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That door was old. It doesn't look like anything that was made in the last Fifty years or so.

I actually found the ruins by accident. I was driving in from 539 and got my bearings mixed up. I was driving around when I spotted the cellar hole by the side of the road. From your description - plus the red oaks - I realized that I was at Red Oak Grove.

Of all of the ghost towns I have been to, ROG is probably the nicest place to build a house at. Right at the bend of a road. I can just picture the white picket fences.

B

BarryC

Umm.... Very nice pictures, but the one captioned, Red Oak, looks like a Pitch Pine to me. :? Maybe I need to look again. :lol:
By the way, what book(s) is Red Oak Grove mentioned in? One of Father Beck's books? For some reason I don't remember it.
bruset said:
During our get-together, some of you all heard me crow about my trip to Red Oak Grove, and finding the ruins there. I finally uploaded the pictures.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I was really amazed with how deep the cellar holes were. There are two holes that are definately cellar holes, and there are a few depressions on either side of the road without any brick, so they might have been dug later.

manumuskin said:
When i found red oak grove july 20th I never seen the door.Are you sure this is part of the original settlement?The cellar holes and condition of the general area seems to be older then any wooden object would be expected to last. Does anyone know the date this was abandoned?Might it just be part on an illegal trash dump?
Al

Al,

I've got to get there to see this door. Looking at the pictures again I see that the hinge appears to be fastened with rivets. I also see some paint residue and paints years ago penetrated the surface unlike paints today which pretty much lay on top. The penetration of the paint would help preserve the wood much better than paints today. Also the wood used years ago would more likely be from old growth forests and would hold up better than wood from new growth that has been used in more recent history. Whether or not if the door is from that site I don't know but it is old. I guess my next trip is to Red Oak Grove.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did not see that door today. Someone may have already been there. What side of the road was it on with your back to Union?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That does look like a roller and a garage door.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just looked at your car photo again and I parked at the same place. The ruins I saw were looking at the photo, on the right just slightly past your car or even with it. The tree down would be just behind you taking the photo. Correct?

Guy