Red Oak Grove

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone had any information (other than Henry Beck) about Red oak Grove prior to 1851? I am compiling a history of several of the little villages in the area and have had no luck finding information prior to this date. Anyone have anything? Any information would be more than helpful.
Thanks

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
Red Oak actually predates Union Clay (which was never really a village, but the Lewis Neill & Co. Fire Brick Company). Red Oak Grove was a lumber village, if it could have even been considered that. I will be more that happy to give you all another article about my findings soon enough. In addition, I can give you a bibliography of the sources I used with it.

Ben, I think that you may be right, however, that there was no history for it prior to 1851. There is little to be found from 1851 on, and nothing before that.

Thanks again.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
If it was a lumber village of camp, it was probably pretty transient. I've been trying to do some research on a lumber camp out by Whiting - Van Note Camp - and haven't been able to find any records of it either. I spoke with John Pierce about it and he said that unless there are birth records or something regarding the camps, that they're generally impossible to research.

Here's an idea though. Lets say that the lumber camp wiped out all of the pines in the area. What grows back? Oaks. So perhaps the name "Red Oak Grove" came about 20-30 years after the camp when the oaks were growing back in place of the pitch pines.

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
For those people out there who have seen the foundation pits, have you noticed any kind of bricks or anything that would provide a retaining wall or foundation? Also, how deep are these pits at ROG? I have a theory about them, and just needed some clarification.
Thanks.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There's two clear cellar holes with bricks in them.

There's other "pits" along the side of the road but I don't think they were for buildings. Maybe dirt removed to fix the road or for drainage.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If you travel along the road about 200 yards south of the cellar holes and look to your left you"ll see the old road marked on the old maps on this site and old topos heading off toward howardsville.looks like an intersting challenge to see how far i can follow it someday.
Al

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
You mean this road?

rog_to_howardsville.jpg

You can just barely make out where the road would have been on the Terraserver images. It's hard to reconcile with the Cook Atlas once it crosses the main road by Howardsville (hence the question marks)

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
The Ocean County Historical Society just put out an article on ROG. It is in their Scrolls newsletter. What was really exciting about the whole thing is my moms great grandfather was a minister from Manchester/Lakehurst area around the same times as in the story. There is a cenus with his name on it that tells where he was and his job. He was Andrew McCall. Anyway at one time the story tells he owned part of ROG. I thought that was rather cool.

Nykki

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
As a descendant of Andrew McCall, do you have any relics of his? He was a Tobacconist, manager of the Union Clay Works underneath Joseph K. Bricks ownership, and served as a local minister. He was a busy man and I would be interested in fleshing him out more in future articles regarding the region. Any stories that have passed down about him would be really interesting. I have been trying to gather more information about that region for quite a while. McCall moved to Manchester proper after the demise of the Union Clay works.
Glad you liked the article.
Scott W.

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
Someone who sells tobacco.

Sounds stupid, huh? :rolleyes: But I wasn't sure if it were someone that grew it or smuggled it or sold it or what. So legitimate sales from the south?
Renee

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
ROG before 1851

diggersw said:
I was wondering if anyone had any information (other than Henry Beck) about Red oak Grove prior to 1851? I am compiling a history of several of the little villages in the area and have had no luck finding information prior to this date. Anyone have anything? Any information would be more than helpful.

Thanks

Scott,

Did you check the deeds record books for Burlington and Monmouth Counties prior to 1851?

Sorry, but the scant info. I have dates from ca. mid-1850s. "Very scant!"

ebsi